Panthers trade for Stephon Gilmore

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Lol, have you seen how well this team has been playing? This front office has been red hot this season.

NoNONO...if we dont grab every player that hits the market we are being passive....again its EVERY player is somehow better than what we have...how the hell are we winning...

Majic

Reaction score

Interesting. Have to criticise the front office again with their management of the salary cap. You have to be in a position to strike when these players become available. If they like the player but can't financially that's a failing

Carson

Reaction score
Isn't that more than Kearse, Neal, Hooker, and several others combined?
Carolina had about 15 million free. So it doesn’t hurt them much

To answer the question, yes. They count a little less than $3 mill

quickccc

Reaction score
probably more details to come. .i'd wonder if the trade was conditional ..

fivetwos

Reaction score
Our fans crap on the Cowboys for every player some other team signs and craps on the Cowboys for every player they sign. So ignorant.
Passing on this guy was the right move.

He is a malcontent and we have a good thing going already, with two young corners on the horizon.

That aside, that Carolina defense was pretty good beforehand, and they should be taken very seriously now.

Sydla

Reaction score
Just for clarity, the Panthers are only on the hook for a $5.4MM cap hit. So people claiming the cap hit was way too large to take on are wrong.

Now granted, even at $5.4MM, the Cowboys would have had to do some cap work.

Sydla

Reaction score
Passing on this guy was the right move.

He is a malcontent and we have a good thing going already, with two young corners on the horizon.

That aside, that Carolina defense was pretty good beforehand, and they should be taken very seriously now.

Huh?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I may be mistaken but last year was one of his worst years and he has not play a down this year...again I trust DQ on this..beside i think we have 4mill of space...again if they wanted him they could've restructured something.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Just for clarity, the Panthers are only on the hook for a $5.4MM cap hit. So people claiming the cap hit was way too large to take on are wrong.

Now granted, even at $5.4MM, the Cowboys would have had to do some cap work.

Yes for this season, next season is a contract year for him. So you are either doing it for a season or you pony up. I do not expect Dallas to look outside for big name players when they know they have some key FA of their own next season.

Sydla

Reaction score
If they let him walk next year, chances are the Panthers get a 3rd or 4th rd comp pick. So, the Panthers are paying $12M for Gilmore to play 10 games this year.

NE gets $12M in cap relief and loses the 3rd or 4th rd comp pick they would have got from letting Gilmore walk.

Wrong.

They are only paying him around $5.4 million. His base was only $7MM this year. The Panthers are only responsible for the prorated balance left on his base salary, which is $5.4 million.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
i thought if they were cut-released, mandatory physical exams did not apply, ..?

He got traded though so I dont know if it does or does not. If I'm the panthers no way I'm not putting a pass a physical clause on this.

Gilmore gets to Carolina and is out for the season...meanwhilee BB be smedley laughing

DFWJC

Reaction score
Horrible move for them. Their offensive line isn't good enough to win.
What is the downside if it's just this year and they easily have the cap space?

And by "win" do you mean a Super Bowl?
Of course they can't do that....imo.

Or are you saying they have no chance at one of the 7 NFC playoff slots?
I think they "might" have a shot at squeezing in.

If so, thats a big growth opportunity for an otherwise young team and staff

Btw, I'm not one who has ever mentioned Gilmore and the Cowboys, pro or con.

Last edited: