Parcells Era Memories

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I listened to a cool Demarcus ware interview on the Ryan russillo podcast that i highly recommended to my fellow cowboys fans. Great stories In There he tells.

anyways, I was curious how old some of you cowboys are and I’m curious what the parcells era meant to you?

For me I’m an old fan at 32. When he came on board we was acting like we had the tonic. We had the secret sauce we had the anecdote. And boy we came damn close without coming damn near close. That’s my recollection anyway. What do you guys remember about that era and the before and aftermath?

CowboysRule

Reaction score
We were terrible before, he brought in a lot of older vets he felt comfortable with, and then left right when we were on the verge in being really good which soon led to Garrett taking over the team for around a decade. Please don't call yourself old, I'm slightly older and I'm not ready to be old yet.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We were terrible before, he brought in a lot of older vets he felt comfortable with, and then left right when we were on the verge in being really good which soon led to Garrett taking over the team for around a decade. Please don't call yourself old, I'm slightly older and I'm not ready to be old yet.
Exactly!! 32 is NOT old!! Geez....if you're old, I'm ancient!! o_O

Havic

Reaction score
Parcells changed the entire culture of the cowboys over the course of 1 season. I remember when he came in and said the practice they had was the worst he has ever seen in his NFL career, and they have alot of work to do. And work they did.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Of course I loved the hire, but in my opinion Parcells had changed as a coach with us. It’s hard to put a finger on, but with Parcells the team played tight to often. The team took on Parcells personality. The team was to worried about making mistakes, didn’t play loose.

Example: they lost to Seattle in the Wildcard game when Seattle had guys coming off the street to play DB. Parcells and Romo didn’t take advantage of that terrible secondary. Romo fumbled the FG snap at the end of the game.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I listened to a cool Demarcus ware interview on the Ryan russillo podcast that i highly recommended to my fellow cowboys fans. Great stories In There he tells.

anyways, I was curious how old some of you cowboys are and I’m curious what the parcells era meant to you?

For me I’m an old fan at 32. When he came on board we was acting like we had the tonic. We had the secret sauce we had the anecdote. And boy we came damn close without coming damn near close. That’s my recollection anyway. What do you guys remember about that era and the before and aftermath?
Pacells came to Dallas resting on what he did with the giants. What he actually did in Dallas was win ZERO division titles and went to two wildcard games and lost both. Parcells and McCarthy have a lot in common. They both had done things before coming to the Cowboys and have done little after they came. At least McCarthy has the excuse of coming to a new team when there was no off season programs, no preseason games and an extremely altered training camp to deal with.

Pabst

Reaction score
I went to training camp in San Antonio with my father during Parcells' first year. Right away, you could tell he was different. There was an excitement in the crowd after dealing with Campo for 3 years. That man breathed football and didn't give a darn what the name on your jersey said. During the first couple sessions that were open to the public, he was just laying into everyone. I remember him just laying into Chad Hutchinson once.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i was stunned when he took the gig.
he was exactly the right man at the right time.
always loved that coach.
wish he had stayed.
we could use some more like him round the ranch.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Parcells changed the culture of the franchise. That’s been properly stated. He also give us “no Jap plays,” Jason Witten, and just calling TO the player.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

I got on board as a youngster at the end of the Cowboys run in the early 80s.

Parcells......by 2006, you could see Parcells and that all star coaching staff had the Cowboys on their way to being a force. No disrespect to Wade but that team basically was on auto-pilot in 2007 and won 13 games. Jerry should've tried his best to squeeze another 1-2 seasons out of Bill instead of making it easier for him to want out.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Pacells came to Dallas resting on what he did with the giants. What he actually did in Dallas was win ZERO division titles and went to two wildcard games and lost both. Parcells and McCarthy have a lot in common. They both had done things before coming to the Cowboys and have done little after they came. At least McCarthy has the excuse of coming to a new team when there was no off season programs, no preseason games and an extremely altered training camp to deal with.
bull.
you forget what he did in new england and his tenure with the jets.
made the jets respectable.
and turned new england from basement dwellers to afc champs....the ground work there laid for belichick to build on.
Parcells never "rested" on anything.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
He turned the direction of the team around while tied to two idiots then told us when he left that they learned nothing from his time there.
What quote are you referring to?

I vaguely remember a “when I’m gone they’ll barely remember I was here”

Reactions: CWR

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
bull.
you forget what he did in new england and his tenure with the jets.
made the jets respectable.
and turned new england from basement dwellers to afc champs....the ground work there laid for belichick to build on.
Parcells never "rested" on anything.
I feel like he’s the John madden we wished John madden was. Or something.

some sort of combination from the brain dead era of the past and a welcomer to the future. Half-life coach and half football fan.

Not self aware enough not to take him self too seriously but self aware enough to know these young athletes needed him. In some way. And it wasn’t always X’s and O’s That they needed