Parcells Era Memories

mmohican29

Reaction score
Outside of Keyshawn, I don’t know many who weren’t solid here. I’m sure I’m missing a few

Ferguson, Glenn, Anderson, Fabini, Campbell

I don’t really count Testaverde since he was about 84 when we signed him lol

Terry Glenn was by far his best bring, Fujita was ok. Keyshawn was quality but probably near the end.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Bill Parcels’ 11 Quarterback Commandments (particularly towards Tony Romo as his starter)

1. Press or TV agents or advisers, family or wives, friends or relatives, fans or hangers on, ignore them on matters of football, they don’t know what’s happening here.
  2. Don’t forget to have fun, but don’t be the class clown. Clowns and leaders don’t mix. Clowns can’t run a huddle.
  3. A quarterback throws with his legs more than his arms. Squat and run. Fat quarterbacks can’t avoid the rush.
  4. Know your job cold. This is not a game without errors. Keep yours to a minimum. Study.
  5. Know your own players. Who’s fast? Who can catch? Who needs encouragement? Be precise. Know your opponent.
  6. Be the same guy everyday. In condition, preparing to lead, studying your plan. A coach can’t prepare you for every eventuality. Prepare yourself and remember, impulse decisions usually equal mistakes.
  7. Throwing the ball away is a good play. Sacks, interceptions, and fumbles are bad plays. Protect against those.
  8. You must learn to manage the game. Personnel, play call, motions, ball handling, proper reads, accurate throws, play fakes. Clock, clock, clock, don’t you ever lose track of the clock.
  9. Passing stats and TD passes are not how you’re gonna be judged. Your job is to get your team in the endzone and that’s how you’re gonna be judged.
  10. When all around you is in chaos, you must be the hand that steers the ship. If you have a panic button, so will everyone else. Our ship can’t have panic buttons.
  11. Don’t be a celebrity quarterback. We don’t need any of those. We need battlefield commanders that are willing to fight it out everyday, every week, and every season, and lead their team to win after win after win.
I wonder how many of those QB Commandments Tony Romo broke?
:huh::laugh:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
bull.
you forget what he did in new england and his tenure with the jets.
made the jets respectable.
and turned new england from basement dwellers to afc champs....the ground work there laid for belichick to build on.
Parcells never "rested" on anything.

I should have worded that differently and said Parcells came to Dallas based on what he did as a head coach with other teams but didn't do much for Dallas. The truth though is Parcells best job as a head coach was with the giants. 8 years there and in the playoffs 5 times winning 2 Super Bowls, the ONLY Super Bowl wins he has. McCarthy has 13 full seasons as head coach has only 1 Super Bowl win but has 9 trips to the playoffs, 8 of them in a row. Parcells was a good coach before he came to Dallas but not so much while there.

Shane612

Reaction score
I thought he was turning the cowboys around and on the right path.
I remember the NFCCG vs Sea-Quacks....yeah, the one Romo mishandle the FG snap that would have sealed the win for the cowboys.
For some reason, Parcells didn't want to coach anymore, after that. At least that was the official reason he left.

Shane612

Reaction score
Parcells changed the entire culture of the cowboys over the course of 1 season. I remember when he came in and said the practice they had was the worst he has ever seen in his NFL career, and they have alot of work to do. And work they did.
Coach like Parcells, Johnson and Landry are cut from a different cloth.
God! I wish someone like that would take this job.

Cmac

Reaction score
He quickly advised TRomo not to become a celebrity QB......1st week after being granted a starter.....he went on the talk show circuit. On the other hand, didn't like his welcome of Terrell Owens. He singled him out for all unfair reasons. T.O. didn't bring baggage to the Cowboys, just the label, and Parcells couldn't handle it and was unfair.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
lol when some don’t remember 2000, 01 & 02. They were pure crap. Parcells put a playoff caliber team together. After taking over a .300 squad that was just as sad as they were pathetic. Let’s not pretend that McCarthy started with the same problems. The Owens situation pushed him out the door. That was glaringly obvious! Then Jerry’s decision making abilities on day one after BP once again killed this team. The clown show of Phillips and Garrett, then the Williams trade, the special teams draft on and on and on and on..... Parcells brought something that didn’t exist in the post Jimmy Johnson era.. a brain and some balls and a team that was accountable. Don’t fool yourself.

Ya all those brain moves Parcells had like bringing in Testaverde, Richie Anderson and Eddie George. What he thought was a cure was to bring in old players on their downward side of their careers. Phillips did what Parcells never did and that was the Cowboys with him as head coach won the division twice and played in two divisional rounds of the playoffs. Parcells never won the division and never got past the wildcard round. I'll use a Parcells saying, you are what your record says you are and since Parcells never won a divisional title his teams must not have been that good.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
36 here, loved the parcels pressers everyday- they were always good for a few laughs. Biggest regret would be probably not starting Romo his last year and sticking with drew. I remember I think it was Woodson or another vet and parcels was asking about what he thought of Romo and woody or 1 of the other vets said he should be starting.

then obviously wish he stuck around 1 more year. Don’t think we could have beaten the pats but I do think he could have gotten us past the giants and into the nfccg/ Super Bowl

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
Publicly, Parcels said he was burned out and didn't want to go through another heart breaking game like the Seattle loss.

Behind the scenes jerry was doing what he does. Injecting himself into different team meetings, wanting to be consulted on game plans, sideline visits during games. The usual. Also, the cowboys hit on a couple great players drafting in the parcels era but way more bust than boom.

People forget how much signing TO was more of a Jerry move than Parcells. That was the one 'grocery item' BP wasn't thrilled with, even though he publicly supported. After taking some time following the crushing playoff loss at Seattle, BP just didn't want to commit to 2007 and beyond.

It was a dilemma: clearly TO made the Cowboys a championship caliber team, at least offensively. They were the #1 seed in the NFC in 2007. However I believe TO and all those antics that followed had a lot to do with BP's exodus.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Ya all those brain moves Parcells had like bringing in Testaverde, Richie Anderson and Eddie George. What he thought was a cure was to bring in old players on their downward side of their careers. Phillips did what Parcells never did and that was the Cowboys with him as head coach won the division twice and played in two divisional rounds of the playoffs. Parcells never won the division and never got past the wildcard round. I'll use a Parcells saying, you are what your record says you are and since Parcells never won a divisional title his teams must not have been that good.

myabe some of those vets brought accountability and good work habits and things we don’t see on game day, things that breed a culture of toughness and competition. Resiliency.

It’s not about the destination but the journey.

Seemingly everything about this franchise is a culture of complacency and fear. Fear of not standing out. Complacent in ones role. Etc.

With a coach that was larger than Life the players seemed more free.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I listened to a cool Demarcus ware interview on the Ryan russillo podcast that i highly recommended to my fellow cowboys fans. Great stories In There he tells.

anyways, I was curious how old some of you cowboys are and I’m curious what the parcells era meant to you?

For me I’m an old fan at 32. When he came on board we was acting like we had the tonic. We had the secret sauce we had the anecdote. And boy we came damn close without coming damn near close. That’s my recollection anyway. What do you guys remember about that era and the before and aftermath?

Coach Parcells changed the whole culture to help the Cowboys, he did not need any money, he wanted to do a favor for the Cowboys and that is how Jerry build his castle.

However, he ruined Romo's confidence after Romo fumbled that snap. Coach must have thought...see ya later.

Coach came close...so did Romo...it was a catch.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
myabe some of those vets brought accountability and good work habits and things we don’t see on game day, things that breed a culture of toughness and competition. Resiliency.

It’s not about the destination but the journey.

Seemingly everything about this franchise is a culture of complacency and fear. Fear of not standing out. Complacent in ones role. Etc.

With a coach that was larger than Life the players seemed more free.

In trying to come up with something you made very little sense. How in the current culture does it bring about fear and with a larger than life coach who was a no nonsense coach how does that being about the feeling of being free. Those two things make less than zero sense.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I should have worded that differently and said Parcells came to Dallas based on what he did as a head coach with other teams but didn't do much for Dallas. The truth though is Parcells best job as a head coach was with the giants. 8 years there and in the playoffs 5 times winning 2 Super Bowls, the ONLY Super Bowl wins he has. McCarthy has 13 full seasons as head coach has only 1 Super Bowl win but has 9 trips to the playoffs, 8 of them in a row. Parcells was a good coach before he came to Dallas but not so much while there.
i do agree with most of that however he did get us on a better path and in better shape then we were in before he got here, however he left way early and again hes at fault for Peyton leaving. He could have told SP he might suddenly quit and say stay and the job yours..

my feeling SP stays, develops Romo and we go where NO went..wade did a decent job but sustainability would have been with SP..

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
i do agree with most of that however he did get us on a better path and in better shape then we were in before he got here, however he left way early and again hes at fault for Peyton leaving. He could have told SP he might suddenly quit and say stay and the job yours..

my feeling SP stays, develops Romo and we go where NO went..wade did a decent job but sustainability would have been with SP..

You really make me scratch my head. You start out by actually spelling out Peyton and then start with the initials. Are you lazy or do you have a key stroke limit? You spell out Romo and I'm surprised you didn't just put TR.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You really make me scratch my head. You start out by actually spelling out Peyton and then start with the initials. Are you lazy or do you have a key stroke limit? You spell out Romo and I'm surprised you didn't just put TR.
what the flip does that matter.?.yes dotn feel like spelling out the name more them once as now we know who i am referring to..

get passed it..

Reactions: CWR

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He improved the team, but quit when it needed him most. Found some players, added a few good ones but also brought in over the hill duds he was comfortable with.

Overrated tenure here. Mercenary coach that walked away from a potential Super Bowl team. Screw Parcells.

If he built a bottom team to becoming a Super Bowl caliber one, that's not overrated lol If anything, you may have overrated it.

Also, he was hella old at that point. It was time. He already said the stress of getting the playoffs and losing was too much for him at that age. Maybe one day when you retire from Burger King, you'll get it.