Parcells Era Memories

Chrissyboy

Reaction score
Nope................Romo rotted on the bench while losers like Testicleverde and Bledslow gave us no hope. It wasnt until Romo's 4th year that Parcells finally played him. Then he quit.

Parcells was a washed up joke of a coach by the time he got here. He was a better roster builder than he was a coach at the time. If it wasnt for LT, Parcells teams never would have won diddly. His one fatal flaw was affinity to settle for bus driving QB's to run his offense.
Rotted? An undrafted free agent? Were you actually alive at the time? You have a very bizarre expectation of QBs with zero experience who nobody saw fit to draft.

Are you going to tell me that we should be starting Nooch over Dalton? That's the level of the situation you're referring to.

Chrissyboy

Reaction score
We get it that you're a huge Parcells fan but when he was in Dallas he didn't walk on water like you think he did. First you've been implying that Parcells was really the GM and EVERYONE knows Jones has been the real GM since the day he bought the Cowboys. Then you make a big deal about how a team changed in 4 years like that's something new. Since free agency and the cap started most teams have a much different roster four years later, ESPECIALLY when there are new coaches. The you made a big deal about Julius Jones and Barber. Jones who rushed for 1000 yards ONCE in his ENTIRE career, his 3rd season. He left the Cowboys for the sea hawks signing a 4 year deal but his numbers dropped off so much that he had to renegotiate his contract for a big reduction or get cut. He finally was cut after that season and signed with the saints after week 4 and managed all of 223 yards for the 2010 season. Now Barber who NEVER got to 1000 yards at ANY time in his career and after 5 years was cut and the bears signed him to a two year deal but cut him after just one season and was never heard from again. So Parcells had two young backs that were being kind, average at best and two old guys in George and Anderson and that pretty much describes Parcells eye for talent while in Dallas.
And pretty much describes what a great coach he was that their best years were in D.

Shane612

Reaction score
The mishandled snap FG had it been good would have given the Cowboys the lead.

It would have been very far from a game sealing FG though.
Cowboys gave up the ball with about 1:14 left at their 3 yard line. Seahawks would had to go 70+ yards to kick a game winning FG.
Correction. It wasn't the NFCCG it was just the NFC WC came.

Acheman08

Reaction score
Of course I loved the hire, but in my opinion Parcells had changed as a coach with us. It’s hard to put a finger on, but with Parcells the team played tight to often. The team took on Parcells personality. The team was to worried about making mistakes, didn’t play loose.

Example: they lost to Seattle in the Wildcard game when Seattle had guys coming off the street to play DB. Parcells and Romo didn’t take advantage of that terrible secondary. Romo fumbled the FG snap at the end of the game.

I completely agree about them playing too tight alot of the time under Parcells. He was way too conservative on offense and I felt he needed to open it up more. He did build a great team in a short amount of time though. People that said he didnt do anything here, arent accurate. He turned a terrible team around very quickly...I remember the Campo years...ughh

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Rotted? An undrafted free agent? Were you actually alive at the time? You have a very bizarre expectation of QBs with zero experience who nobody saw fit to draft.

Are you going to tell me that we should be starting Nooch over Dalton? That's the level of the situation you're referring to.

Proof is in the pudding.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Parcells kind of returned us to what a pro football team should look like. He was hampered by many of the bad decisions of the past, but he won with a team much less talented than the ones Phillips or Garrett had. I was really disappointed when he left early. I think he had the team on the verge of big things, but I think he just saw that the Jones' family wasn't going to change....there is no way in hell he wanted TO here, but Jerrah signed him anyway.

ghosttown cowboy

Wyoming's #1 boys fan
Reaction score
I remember him drafting Julius Jones instead of the Jackson kid, and calling Roy Williams biscuit...

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
We get it that you're a huge Parcells fan but when he was in Dallas he didn't walk on water like you think he did. First you've been implying that Parcells was really the GM and EVERYONE knows Jones has been the real GM since the day he bought the Cowboys. Then you make a big deal about how a team changed in 4 years like that's something new. Since free agency and the cap started most teams have a much different roster four years later, ESPECIALLY when there are new coaches. The you made a big deal about Julius Jones and Barber. Jones who rushed for 1000 yards ONCE in his ENTIRE career, his 3rd season. He left the Cowboys for the sea hawks signing a 4 year deal but his numbers dropped off so much that he had to renegotiate his contract for a big reduction or get cut. He finally was cut after that season and signed with the saints after week 4 and managed all of 223 yards for the 2010 season. Now Barber who NEVER got to 1000 yards at ANY time in his career and after 5 years was cut and the bears signed him to a two year deal but cut him after just one season and was never heard from again. So Parcells had two young backs that were being kind, average at best and two old guys in George and Anderson and that pretty much describes Parcells eye for talent while in Dallas.

Dont forget STEVEN JACKSON was there for the taking and Parcells pushed a trade down to end up with Julis Jones. This was coming off a year with Troy Hambrick as the "feature" back, and yes I'm still pissed. If its was up to Parcells we'd have missed out on Dware as well, opting for Spears with the earlier pick.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
And pretty much describes what a great coach he was that their best years were in D.

You need to stop TRYING to evaluate talent. Eddie Goerge's best years as a pro were LONG before he came to Dallas as well as Testaverde's best years. Jones had ONE good year and Barber's years were average at best and neither did squat after leaving their average careers in Dallas.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I listened to a cool Demarcus ware interview on the Ryan russillo podcast that i highly recommended to my fellow cowboys fans. Great stories In There he tells.

anyways, I was curious how old some of you cowboys are and I’m curious what the parcells era meant to you?

For me I’m an old fan at 32. When he came on board we was acting like we had the tonic. We had the secret sauce we had the anecdote. And boy we came damn close without coming damn near close. That’s my recollection anyway. What do you guys remember about that era and the before and aftermath?

He took a franchise that went 5-11 for 3 straight years to the playoffs his first year. He completely changed the culture and kicked Jerry out of the kitchen. He deserved better but decided coaching was no longer what he wanted to do. He left the team so loaded with talent (13 pro bowlers) that even a halfwit like Garret and a career DC in Wade Phillips could lead them to a 13-3 record the following season.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
He took a franchise that went 5-11 for 3 straight years to the playoffs his first year. He completely changed the culture and kicked Jerry out of the kitchen. He deserved better but decided coaching was no longer what he wanted to do. He left the team so loaded with talent (13 pro bowlers) that even a halfwit like Garret and a career DC in Wade Phillips could lead them to a 13-3 record the following season.

Here's the truth about all of those 13 Pro Bowlers. That was a total for the 4 years he was in Dallas and of those 13 Pro Bowls 9 of them were repeat Pro Bowlers of players already with the Cowboys BEFORE Parcells got there. So that means the he averaged a single Pro Bowler for each year he was here that came while he was here EXCEPT one was a repeat so that means he had 1 Pro Bowl every other year he was in Dallas of players that came after he was there.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The man put a damn good staff together.

Head Coaches

Offensive Coaches

Defensive Coaches

Special Teams Coaches

Strength and Conditioning

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's the truth about all of those 13 Pro Bowlers. That was a total for the 4 years he was in Dallas and of those 13 Pro Bowls 9 of them were repeat Pro Bowlers of players already with the Cowboys BEFORE Parcells got there. So that means the he averaged a single Pro Bowler for each year he was here that came while he was here EXCEPT one was a repeat so that means he had 1 Pro Bowl every other year he was in Dallas of players that came after he was there.

Wow. Do you research anything? Flozell, Greg Ellis, and Leonard Davis never sniffed pro bowls before Parcels got there. His first draft was 2003 and he landed Witten, Newman, and Brady James. His 2005 draft is regarded as one of the best ever in Dallas with Ware, Spears, MB3, Burnett, Canty, Ratliffe.......... and oh yeah, he found us a QB who became the franchise's all time leading passer. But not only players, he also brought top tier assistant coaches to Dallas.

You literally have no idea what you are talking about.

Chrissyboy

Reaction score
You need to stop TRYING to evaluate talent. Eddie Goerge's best years as a pro were LONG before he came to Dallas as well as Testaverde's best years. Jones had ONE good year and Barber's years were average at best and neither did squat after leaving their average careers in Dallas.
Evaluate talent? Jones and MB3 were who I was referring to. You make my point for me, wonderfully. Thank you.

He could evaluate talent. You cannot.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If Jerry hadn't pulled a Jerry and pushed him out we would have won a SB. He turned the team around in a hurry.

I hope you're younger than the OP because this seems like how either a child or a person reaching the senility level would view it.

Jerry didn't push Parcells anywhere. After the Seattle loss in the playoffs, Parcells decided that losing made him feel so miserable that he didn't want to do it anymore. And he didn't. Parcells has made what happened clear and he's not the type not gripe about it if he had left because of Jerry. He didn't come from the politically correct era.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
I hope you're younger than the OP because this seems like how either a child or a person reaching the senility level would view it.

Jerry didn't push Parcells anywhere. After the Seattle loss in the playoffs, Parcells decided that losing made him feel so miserable that he didn't want to do it anymore. And he didn't. Parcells has made what happened clear and he's not the type not gripe about it if he had left because of Jerry. He didn't come from the politically correct era.

I'm old enough to know better. Go find my other post for clarification.

Big_D

Reaction score

He wanted nothing to do with Owens. Jerrys love for Jersey sales no doubt pushed Parcells out the door. From day one he didn't like it. That was the straw. Jerry asks a guy to come in and basically do what he couldn't but he still couldn't control his dumassery even with a team on the rise. After Parcells he was taking credit. lol The guy is a complete joke and it drove an old coach into retirement. Relax or deal with this clown.. tough one!! The Owens situation. Did he need to make it more obvious that he didn't want to deal with it? He didn't like it at all. Smacked in the face with a typical splash Jerry move!!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He wanted nothing to do with Owens. Jerrys love for Jersey sales no doubt pushed Parcells out the door. From day one he didn't like it. That was the straw. Jerry asks a guy to come in and basically do what he couldn't but he still couldn't control his dumassery even with a team on the rise. After Parcells he was taking credit. lol The guy is a complete joke and it drove an old coach into retirement. Relax or deal with this clown.. tough one!! The Owens situation. Did he need to make it more obvious that he didn't want to deal with it? He didn't like it at all. Smacked in the face with a typical splash Jerry move!!

Why do some of you choose not to believe the words that came out of the mouth of the man himself? It wasn't like he was a coach who wouldn't say what he meant.