Parcells is holding team back?

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
listen, i like parcells because of his win-now, no BS attitude. however i think he is holding this franchise back because of one sole position; QB. henson NEEDS to start playing in regular season games this year. i'm sick of hearing how he's not ready or his confidence is at risk of being tarnished. we traded for this guy to be our QB of the future! THIS IS THE NFL. most people dont get a shot at the NFL alone. so i say parcells, i love what you did with the draft with Ware, Spears, Burnett, etc. for the FUTURE. but in terms of the most important position on a football team, bringing bledsoe in is just avoiding the inevitable. because of parcells' win-now attitude, he probably refuses to start a rookie QB, but this is supposed to be our future franchise QB; which i think is more important than parcells' will to win now because he won't be around in the next year or two. henson will struggle yes, but almost every rookie QB has to struggle, it's a "stage" they go through. but that stage is where we find out if he's a daunte culpepper or an akili smith. WE NEED TO KNOW NOW! GO COWBOYS

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Your preaching to the choir here...

Quite a few of us agree we need to start doing something about the position

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
lol its true...i cant take this bus driver crap anymore, its a different starting QB EVERY FRICKIN SEASON

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
I think it's pretty clear that of all the positions on the field, the one that most shows Parcells is an aging coach with a short future is the QB position.

It seems he simply doesn't have the patience, or time, to invest in grooming a QB.

If he'd just stick with one guy who has an upside (yeah, I'd prefer Henson but it doesn't HAVE to be him) he'd be better off.

If he had chosen the right QB to begin with, he'd be starting his 3rd season with that guy under center.

Personally, I feel the decision to stick with QC was a bad one because the entire organization HAD to know the kid had problems. It was a roll of the dice that didn't work out.

RoysAHitta

Benched
Reaction score
our qb situation is flat out embarassing. we've been trying to plug in easy fixes for 10 years now, henson is just another example. if parcells really thinks bledsoe can lead us to the super bowl hes insane and needs fired. he had a better team around him in buffalo and he played horrible, whats going to change?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Personally, I feel the decision to stick with QC was a bad one because the entire organization HAD to know the kid had problems. It was a roll of the dice that didn't work out.

And little talent to begin with.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
I think it's pretty clear that of all the positions on the field, the one that most shows Parcells is an aging coach with a short future is the QB position.

It seems he simply doesn't have the patience, or time, to invest in grooming a QB.

If he'd just stick with one guy who has an upside (yeah, I'd prefer Henson but it doesn't HAVE to be him) he'd be better off.

If he had chosen the right QB to begin with, he'd be starting his 3rd season with that guy under center.

Funny - it seems to me that grooming a QB is exactly what he is doing. Rather than throwing one who might not be ready to the wolves.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Juke99 said:

totally agree...he chose the wrong guy from day one...

David

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Funny - it seems to me that grooming a QB is exactly what he is doing. Rather than throwing one who might not be ready to the wolves.

Who suggested throwing anyone to the wolves? Ya see, this immediately becomes a thread about Henson...which it isn't.

If Parcells made a decision from day one (before Henson was even there) about who to stick with, we'd be much further along. Instead he made a comment about "I dont see any Dan Fouts out there..." whatever the hell that was supposed to mean...and from that point forward we have played musical chairs at QB....3 seasons, 3 starters.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Who suggested throwing anyone to the wolves? Ya see, this immediately becomes a thread about Henson...which it isn't.

If Parcells made a decision from day one (before Henson was even there) about who to stick with, we'd be much further along. Instead he made a comment about "I dont see any Dan Fouts out there..." whatever the hell that was supposed to mean...and from that point forward we have played musical chairs at QB....3 seasons, 3 starters.

In the meantime, after he discovered what we had in Carter, he made a trade to get a young talented QB here, who he has been developing since. It doesn't sound to me as if he is just leaving the position to chance.

Reaction score
I agree Crown...

Bill will ALWAYS play the best QB or any player at any position...

I like Hensen, but he wasn't ready last year...
He should show a huge improvment this year...

We all know Bledsoe isn't moble...Who knows, Hensen might be playing full time by the 2nd 1/4 of the first game?

Until then, the last thing that is holding this team back is Bill Parcells...

Now we could talk about a awful DC holding this team back, but changes have been already made there to lessen his negative impact... :cool:

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Well I have to disagree. Drew Bledsoe is proven in the NFL and Henson while he did decent in college hasn't proven anything and all the Homers saying he needs to start are nuts. IMO the reason Ryan Leaf didn't do well is he was rushed which happens more and more these days Face it guys Troy was lucky he was made of Mental toughness that we don't know if Henson has. If he doesn't have it and struggles then he won't have a career in the NFL.Drew Bledsoe can and willl be a good starter for us and if the players around him play up to their potiental then I think he can have a couple probowl years. BTW I don't have the same warm and fuzzy feelings about DH as you guys do I don't think he is the answer at QB for us not now and not the future. JJ likes his Baseball projects and DH was one. I think we will have to draft a QB out of college for our future.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Hollywood Henderson said:
I agree Crown...

Bill will ALWAYS play the best QB or any player at any position...

I like Hensen, but he wasn't ready last year...
He should show a huge improvment this year...

We all know Bledsoe isn't moble...Who knows, Hensen might be playing full time by the 2nd 1/4 of the first game?

Until then, the last thing that is holding this team back is Bill Parcells...

Now we could talk about a awful DC holding this team back, but changes have been already made there to lessen his negative impact... :cool:

Lack of talent has been holding this team back. If you want to place blame, put it on the front office and coaching staff prior to the 2003 season.

jksmith269

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Lack of talent has been holding this team back. If you want to place blame, put it on the front office and coaching staff prior to the 2003 season.
:hammer:

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
BP knows what he can get out of Bledsoe, BP saw waht happened to the Giants whhen they took a seasoned veteran out for a rookie, he might he might not come on this year, but they were a playoff team before then, to me i say let BP do what he does, because if he plays henson and henosn plays above he beyond, then everybody will be saying it was so good how they waited and trained Drew henson so he coudl do well in the NFL instead of just thrwoing him out there and making him learn on the field.

burmafrd

Reaction score
If BP really thought that Henson was going to be the man, he would not have gotten Bledsoe. He would have not played Vinny all season. BP does not think Henson is going to cut it, but JJ does. So that is the impasse. There has only been a couple of QB's that have come out in the last 2 years that I would have wanted- and cost of trading up to get one is just too high. Especially when we need so many other positions strengthened. I have a hunch that BP might have seriously thought about Leftwich, but made the mistake of thinking he could do OK with what he had- or that there would be a shot at getting another one down the road. Maybe he thought Henson could be the one; but I don't think he does any more. You need at least 3 years to get a rookie QB to the point where he is more of a help then a hindrance. Unless you get real lucky. Rothlisberger may be one of those- we shall see this season if the only reason he looked so good last year is that he had to do very little. If BP did not think we are fairly close to making the big jump, he would not have gotten Bledsoe. If he thought that we were at least 2 years away from being able to really go for it, then he might have gone with Henson. I believe that BP is gambling that we make the playoffs this year, get comfortable with the 3-4, and go for it all next year. Henson in no way is thought by BP to be able to perform as well as he thinks Bledsoe can do- so there you are. Bottom line- I think BP sees Henson as no more then a good journeyman.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:

Exactly ever since BP has been here he has been adding talent around this team to make us great, so BP cant be holding this team back, if he's the one making this team a contending one, and not the 5-11 we've seen so recently, dont tell me you forgot?

yesfan

Reaction score
I'm for Drew Bledsoe starting,he's a proven qb in the NFL.If and i
do hope when,Hensen is ready,I trust Parcells will know when he
can start.This team has huge potential,but it's still has a way to go.
We can be split on this issue,but we all want to see the team flourish.

jksmith269

Reaction score
BTW before BP JJ and his staff chose who we would draft and sign he would listen to his coachs but often disregard what they said. He even admitted as much after the draft when asked why he stayed in the first round. He said in the past the coaches would want a certain player in the first or second and he'd see a player who was almost the exact same player that he could get a few rounds later and take them instead. He often went aginst the coachs on who to bring in here. SO a lot of the blame is JJ's