Parcells is holding team back?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
kartr said:
Check out the Washington newspapers sometime and see for yourself what the feeling is about Campbell.
Can you name any of the Washington newspaper websites other than the Washington Post? The Post seems to mention only Patrick Ramsey.

Last season, Gibbs, who never (or rarely ever) used the shotgun, struggled to get the ball downfield. This season he's going to implement the shotgun in his offense. Reading the Post, it seems that they believe that Ramsey will benefit from the shotgun moreso than Brunell or Campbell because he ran the shotgun offense very well at Tulane.

Also, the Post believes that Ramsey will receive 90% of the snaps during training camp. With an establish NFL veteran (Brunell) as a backup, that will not provide Campbell with many opportunities for Gibbs to entrust his offense in a rookie quarterback, imo.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
I hate to think where we would be without Parcells. He is exactly what the doctor ordered. I wonder how many will be singing that same tune when we make the playoffs this year?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
kartr said:
If you can't see that both Rodgers and Campbell will have better NFL careers than Henson, you must be BLIND, Zebra.
That is putting the cart before the horse. No one knows what will happen in the future.

Reaction score
We could all banter back and forth forever about Hensons pros and cons. We've been thru it all before with Carter vs. Hutch, and any number of other QB's that have made a brief stop here in the Big D. The supporters aren't about to change their minds and neither are the detractors.

But the ONE thing nobody here should be bickering over is whether or not Parcells is holding back the team, be it his handling of Henson, the AB issue, or anything else. Bill Parcells it THE best coach this team has had since JJ left us. He's forgotten more about the game than the combined knowledge of all of those losers we've been saddled with since JJ's departure.

This year will mark his 41'st year coaching (at least at the college level - 1964, def. asst., Hastings College.) In 1999, the Pro Football Hall of Fame named him Coach of the Decade. I think it's safe to say that he knows EXACTLY what he's doing. 'Nuff said.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Boy's fan in Giant land said:
We could all banter back and forth forever about Hensons pros and cons. We've been thru it all before with Carter vs. Hutch, and any number of other QB's that have made a brief stop here in the Big D. The supporters aren't about to change their minds and neither are the detractors.

But the ONE thing nobody here should be bickering over is whether or not Parcells is holding back the team, be it his handling of Henson, the AB issue, or anything else. Bill Parcells it THE best coach this team has had since JJ left us. He's forgotten more about the game than the combined knowledge of all of those losers we've been saddled with since JJ's departure.

This year will mark his 41'st year coaching (at least at the college level - 1964, def. asst., Hastings College.) In 1999, the Pro Football Hall of Fame named him Coach of the Decade. I think it's safe to say that he knows EXACTLY what he's doing. 'Nuff said.

:hammer:

BHendri5

Reaction score
I am so glad you posted that. I also believe that we need to draft a young QB, and develop him into a franchise QB.

Franchise QBs are developed, they are not drafted, the draftees have potential true. If they become franchise guys they develop into that

cowboygolfer

Reaction score
It amazes me how some of us here know so much about the ability of unproven players to not only play but to play to a higher level than proven veteran players. I don't know all the reasons that Henson and or Romo have not been given the reigns. I do think that the guy responsible for making the decisions as seen a lot more out of them than I have.

I am not ready to stick with someone just for the sake of change, when we get someone who is ready to start then I will say we stick it out right now that is Drew Bledsoe, who knows come Sept.

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
I think he's holding the team back with this 3-4 nonsense, he's hardheaded which could be good in some ways but I believe our personel are more suited for the 4-3. Ellis, Glover, Ferguson, Spears, Ware, Dat, Burnett, would be a great front 7, and some good subs also to keep them fresh, what ever happened to the BEST PLAYERS ON THE FIELD, with the 3-4 your not getting that.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Michigan QBs, ask that guy to name all of the starting Michigan QBs. Out of all the QBs that I know of that came from Michigan only Harbaugh, Griese and Brady started for any significant time, and won, all the others were career backups or tried out and cut.

Grevus

Reaction score
This is how I see it.

Year one - BP comes to the cowboys. He needs to see where things are. QC was the starting QB from the previous year. Can he play with the right coaching and with some coaching, QC doesn't do a bad job, not great, but OK.

Year two - QC is gone. Vinny is plugged in. Why? Who else is going to play. Henson with his 8 games in college and 3 years off, or Romo?

Year three - Vinny is gone. Bledsoe in. Bledsoe is probably one of the best FA QBs available. Henson is working hard and should take the position over by the middle of the year. If he doesn't, then he never will.

I don't blame BP for this mess. He needs to fix all of the mistakes from the past. I agree, QB is the most important position, but I'll be patient for a little while longer.

shnagy

Reaction score
I agree with you on this one dbair. Look at how the Eagles groomed McNabb, and he turned out pretty well. Now Henson has been away from football for a long time, so he is going to take more time than a regular quarterback to groom. Parcells has been to Superbowls and has won them, so I'm going to trust him to do whats best for the team, and right now, starting Bledsoe is the best thing for us........by the way, I don't think any of the QB's in this draft will have great careers, but thats JMO.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
kartr said:
If you can't see that both Rodgers and Campbell will have better NFL careers than Henson, you must be BLIND, Zebra.

Maybe he is just realistic since NONE of them have shown anything eh

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
CowboynIRAQ said:
I am so glad you posted that. I also believe that we need to draft a young QB, and develop him into a franchise QB.

Franchise QBs are developed, they are not drafted, the draftees have potential true. If they become franchise guys they develop into that

We did we used a 3rd round draft pick on Henson who we are grooming.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Well I have to disagree. Drew Bledsoe is proven in the NFL and Henson while he did decent in college hasn't proven anything and all the Homers saying he needs to start are nuts. IMO the reason Ryan Leaf didn't do well is he was rushed which happens more and more these days Face it guys Troy was lucky he was made of Mental toughness that we don't know if Henson has. If he doesn't have it and struggles then he won't have a career in the NFL.Drew Bledsoe can and willl be a good starter for us and if the players around him play up to their potiental then I think he can have a couple probowl years. BTW I don't have the same warm and fuzzy feelings about DH as you guys do I don't think he is the answer at QB for us not now and not the future. JJ likes his Baseball projects and DH was one. I think we will have to draft a QB out of college for our future.

I totally agree with you but I still believe Parcells should have played Henson more last year especially late in the season and late in games where we were blown out. he had opportunities to get the kid into some games and didn't take them. The one start the kid had, he pulled him halfway through and went with Intercepteverde the rest of the way.

I have never been in favor of playing a rookie QB from day-1 but I do believe they need to get into the game some as soon as possible to start getting a feel for it. A few minutes here and there would do wonders for the young guy and wouldn't hurt the team any more than Vinny did.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
We did we used a 3rd round draft pick on Henson who we are grooming.
Thank you.

Good point.

The title of this thread is killin me. BP is the best thing to happen to Dallas in over a decade. He may be slow to start Henson, but remember... he's a big reason why Henson is here in the first place.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CowboynIRAQ said:
Michigan QBs, ask that guy to name all of the starting Michigan QBs. Out of all the QBs that I know of that came from Michigan only Harbaugh, Griese and Brady started for any significant time, and won, all the others were career backups or tried out and cut.

Elvis Grbac was pretty good for several seasons and as I mentioned, I was speaking of recent history...their last several QB's have been pretty good pros and Henson was more talented than each of them

David

Trophy#6

Reaction score
Parcells needs to do some winning before he reveals the truth about Henson to the Cowboy fans. He can't take away that hope the Fans have for the future of this team, even if it is no hope whatsoever.

If Henson is ever starting full-time in Dallas it will be because Parcells is gone and we have a dumb "homer" coach taking his place.

Time to settle your accounts on Henson, he's a loser. Quincy Carter's career will be more remembered and relished then this nobody once it's all said and done.

Sorry.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
Henson was more talented than each of them

David

Key word---WAS.

Right now, he isn't even in the same league.

Phenoms come and go. Take a look at the most heavily recruited high school players in the nation today, make notes and look and see how many are successful pros seven years from now.

There is the chance that Henson could fall into that 70 percent that simply don't achieve the levels of stardom predicted for them.

I still think too many fans have gone from "hope" and imply "certainty". There is no way any of us know that.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trophy#6 said:
Parcells needs to do some winning before he reveals the truth about Henson to the Cowboy fans. He can't take away that hope the Fans have for the future of this team, even if it is no hope whatsoever.

If Henson is ever starting full-time in Dallas it will be because Parcells is gone and we have a dumb "homer" coach taking his place.

Time to settle your accounts on Henson, he's a loser. Quincy Carter's career will be more remembered and relished then this nobody once it's all said and done.

Sorry.
I could care less who's manning the spot as long as that player is the best at directing the offense. As far as Carter is concerned, I will no more remember and relish his Cowboy career than I would Gary Hogeboom or Steve Peuller. Ten, twenty, fifty years down the line, this franchise's fans will look back and see him as a footnote well beneath that of Meredith, Staubach, White, Aikman and the next great Cowboys quarterback.