Parcells is holding team back?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheSport78 said:
henson will struggle yes, but almost every rookie QB has to struggle, it's a "stage" they go through. but that stage is where we find out if he's a daunte culpepper or an akili smith. WE NEED TO KNOW NOW! GO COWBOYS
Easily the most disappointing part of last season was the decidion by BP to leave Henson on the bench. He should have been given a series or two (or more) each game down the stretch when it was obvious we were not going to the playoffs. I know, more preaching to the choir.
:bang2:

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
hate to burst your bubble but stats are for losers...who cares what stats people post in college once they get to the NFL? If college stats mattered, wouldnt David Klingler, Gino Torreta and Andre Ware be superstars?

I'm looking at what system a QB played in, his release, accuracy and arm strength...Henson's better than both of those guys in all those categories by a long shot...Michigan QB's have fared well in the NFL over the past 10-15yrs, and Henson's easily the most physically gifted on them...

David

Wait one minute. You said
dbair1967 said:
I wouldnt...niether is anywhere near as close to the rating Henson carried after his JR year

and now your saying stats are for losers? I see you get your stats handed to you so you change your song. well for players coming out of college stats are really all you have to go by. and all your accuracy and arm strength well accuracy is measured in comp% a stat which he trailed both in his arm strength doesn't matter if you can't hit your target and he wasn't good enough to start a full season at Michigan, add that to the fact he was away from the game so long = both Rodgers and campbell would be a better choice IMO than Henson, as a player to develope.

jksmith269

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Easily the most disappointing part of last season was the decidion by BP to leave Henson on the bench. He should have been given a series or two (or more) each game down the stretch when it was obvious we were not going to the playoffs. I know, more preaching to the choir.
:bang2:
See I can agree with this if BP would have played Henson last year we wouldn't be having this debate either we would kknow he had what it takes or not but by leaving VT in even when the season was over for us is causing us the fans this headache. But in BP's eyes Henson couldn't beat out a 40+yrold with a dead arm last year at the end of the season why should we think he's our future?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:

and now your saying stats are for losers? I see you get your stats handed to you so you change your song. well for players coming out of college stats are really all you have to go by. and all your accuracy and arm strength well accuracy is measured in comp% a stat which he trailed both in his arm strength doesn't matter if you can't hit your target and he wasn't good enough to start a full season at Michigan, add that to the fact he was away from the game so long = both Rodgers and campbell would be a better choice IMO than Henson, as a player to develope.

when I was talking about "rating" it had nothing to do with QB ratings or stats, it had to do with the DRAFT GRADE people had put on him...people regarded Henson as a true franchise calibar QB prospect and according to Joel Buschbaum would have likely been the top pick in the 2001 draft

and if your going to ramble on, at least gets your facts straight ok? Henson only started 8 games his JR yr but it wasnt due to "not being good enough to start an entire yr"...he was injured...

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
See I can agree with this if BP would have played Henson last year we wouldn't be having this debate either we would kknow he had what it takes or not but by leaving VT in even when the season was over for us is causing us the fans this headache. But in BP's eyes Henson couldn't beat out a 40+yrold with a dead arm last year at the end of the season why should we think he's our future?

actually nobody would probably know jack about him, as the guy was playing with a 3yr layoff and only one training camp under his belt. Very few normal (and when I say normal, I mean coming right from college to pro) rookie QB's come into the league and show they'll be a star from day one and in fact most struggle mightily. You cant judge a QB's future off a handful games or even a full set of games from their first yr in the league

David

jksmith269

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
actually nobody would probably know jack about him, as the guy was playing with a 3yr layoff and only one training camp under his belt. Very few normal (and when I say normal, I mean coming right from college to pro) rookie QB's come into the league and show they'll be a star from day one and in fact most struggle mightily. You cant judge a QB's future off a handful games or even a full set of games from their first yr in the league

David
I agree with you on this point. But I still think the experience he could have had would have been valuable as hell.

kartr

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
Why Henson has playeed in the NFL more thna they have, has more experince and to me has more upside, he only cost us a 3rd pick, those guys were first round, high bust high boom kinda of guys

But they have played more football period than Henson as has Romo. That's why all of them are better options than Henson. Henson is the worst kind of project, a worse project than even Hutch, cause at least Hutch had 2 full years of starts. In fact, that we even have Henson on the roster is holding this team back more than anything. Any Qb that had significant playing time in college the past two years would be a better option, cause Henson is relearning football and didn't have a significant amount of playing time in college, see A.J. Feeley.

kartr

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
the right answer was probably none of the above to be honest....however, he didnt give Hutchinson much of a shot here, for whatever reason...but now the fact is Hutchinson is firmly entrenched as the #2 guy in Chicago and has a chance to win their starting job, their coaching staff seems to like him...he played decently for them last season when he did get a chance...Carter is out of the league and with each day that passes seems more and more likely he'll never get a chance again...

David

They only like Hutch because the rest of them were worst than awful, he won just one of 5 games, that's a winning percentage of 20%. Project those numbers over a 16 game season and you win 3 games. Hutch won 2 out 9 here, that's 25%. Hutch never should have been brought to Dallas, we should have given Carter at 2-3 years before bringing in another Qb. Hutch won't last long in the Nfl cause he doesn't have it. Carter has a career 53% winning percentage, but if you take away his first 2 starts, he has a 60% plus winning percentage, which is good for a 10 win season compared to Hutch's 3 win season. Even Stevie Wonder knows that 10 is more than 3. If the rest of the NFL can't figure that out, all the teams that pass on Carter when they have crappy Qb'ing deserve to have their coaches fired.

kartr

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Big difference is he only started 8 games in 2000 where Campbell and Rogers both played all their games the last season in college.

Henson
2000 SEASON
Played in nine games, starting the final eight … Completed 146 of 237 passes (61.6 percent) for 2,146 yards, 18 touchdowns and only 4 interceptions … His 2,146 yards rank seventh on the school's season-record list … Scored twice on 33 carries … Averaged 237.8 yards per game in total offense.

Aaron Rodgers
2004 SEASON
NAME G ATT COM PCT YDS YDS/ATT YDS/G INT TD
1. Aaron Rodgers 12 316 209 66.1 2566 8.1 213.8 8 24

Jason Campbell

13 games 270 attempts 188 compl 7 Int's 20 TD's 2700yrds 69.6 Comp%

So both Rodgers and Campbell were good enough to start their entire last year Henson wasn't, They both had better Comp% than Henson, Both threw for more yards. Now the yards is easy to see they played more but normally with more games you'd see their comp% be lower than hensons but not this time his prob would be even lower with more INT's if he'd played a full season.

So I stand by what I said and can back up the stats you wanted to throw out. Campbell and Rodgers both had better College careers than Henson.

EDIT: Campbell had a 172.9 *** rating in 04 Which Henson couldn't touch.

On the money!

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
kartr said:
They only like Hutch because the rest of them were worst than awful, he won just one of 5 games, that's a winning percentage of 20%. Project those numbers over a 16 game season and you win 3 games. Hutch won 2 out 9 here, that's 25%. Hutch never should have been brought to Dallas, we should have given Carter at 2-3 years before bringing in another Qb. Hutch won't last long in the Nfl cause he doesn't have it. Carter has a career 53% winning percentage, but if you take away his first 2 starts, he has a 60% plus winning percentage, which is good for a 10 win season compared to Hutch's 3 win season. Even Stevie Wonder knows that 10 is more than 3. If the rest of the NFL can't figure that out, all the teams that pass on Carter when they have crappy Qb'ing deserve to have their coaches fired.

And if you take away ALL of his losses, he has a 100% winning percentage. :cool:

kartr

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Henson was coming off an injury which is why he only started 8 games, so your good enough to start a full season is crap.

Pretty easy to have a great QB rating when you have two RBs that got drafted early in the first round.:rolleyes:

If you can't see that both Rodgers and Campbell will have better NFL careers than Henson, you must be BLIND, Zebra.

kartr

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
hate to burst your bubble but stats are for losers...who cares what stats people post in college once they get to the NFL? If college stats mattered, wouldnt David Klingler, Gino Torreta and Andre Ware be superstars?

I'm looking at what system a QB played in, his release, accuracy and arm strength...Henson's better than both of those guys in all those categories by a long shot...Michigan QB's have fared well in the NFL over the past 10-15yrs, and Henson's easily the most physically gifted on them...

David

You forget one thing,Brady and Griese and the rest played more football than Henson. Henson has played more baseball than football. Big difference.

kartr

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:

And he says that I make things up. He can't even keep his arguments straight.
He can't even understand that scouts ratings usually aren't worth the paper they're written on, that's why Brady was rated as a 6th rounder,Ryan Leaf,Heath Schuler and other so-called 1st rounders were busts. Plus Carter, whom he hates with a passion was rated a fourth or fifth rounder, yet had a much better career than any of the aforementioned, except for Brady.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
kartr said:
If you can't see that both Rodgers and Campbell will have better NFL careers than Henson, you must be BLIND, Zebra.

Really they will Cambell is playing on a team that he problay wont ver start on

Rodger is playing on a tem with a QB who refuses to retire, and problay will pull a Jerry rice, and stay untillhejustcant throw the ball no more.

But there gonna have better career than a guy hwo has more NFL experince than they do. Tell em a QB who because he can play College football means that he can play in the NFL, does ryan leaf ring a bell anyone. Thsi guy is getting groomed and ready to play in the NFL while those guys sit on the bench and watch other perform for them. Maybe if you said smith you might have something, but those two, have less of chance of getting on the field than henson does this year.

kartr

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
when I was talking about "rating" it had nothing to do with QB ratings or stats, it had to do with the DRAFT GRADE people had put on him...people regarded Henson as a true franchise calibar QB prospect and according to Joel Buschbaum would have likely been the top pick in the 2001 draft

and if your going to ramble on, at least gets your facts straight ok? Henson only started 8 games his JR yr but it wasnt due to "not being good enough to start an entire yr"...he was injured...

David

Even if he had been the top pick, doesn't mean he would have been any good, see Tim Couch. Since he didn't go back and play his senior year and played baseball for the next 3 years, that means he's regressed, say about 3 years and his skills now are roughly the equivalent of a college freshman which makes him virtually useless to us for 3-4 years.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
kartr said:
Even if he had been the top pick, doesn't mean he would have been any good, see Tim Couch.

Say this in relation to your "Aaron Rodgers and Jason Campbell are automatically going to be better pros than Henson" gibberish.

Those two have a better chance because of their lack of a layoff. But neither are shoe-ins for anything.

kartr

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
Really they will Cambell is playing on a team that he problay wont ver start on

Rodger is playing on a tem with a QB who refuses to retire, and problay will pull a Jerry rice, and stay untillhejustcant throw the ball no more.

But there gonna have better career than a guy hwo has more NFL experince than they do. Tell em a QB who because he can play College football means that he can play in the NFL, does ryan leaf ring a bell anyone. Thsi guy is getting groomed and ready to play in the NFL while those guys sit on the bench and watch other perform for them. Maybe if you said smith you might have something, but those two, have less of chance of getting on the field than henson does this year.

Maybe you are not aware that Campbell played in a West Coast type offense in his last year in college and that the coordinator said that Campbell picked it up quicker than any qb he'd ever seen. Also, the Skins are using some west coast in their offense because of Campbell. Campbell has improved every year he played in college, never completing less than 60% of his passes and never throwing more ints than tds. Basically Ramsay has been put on notice and is probably 2-3 back to back loses from being Campbell's backup. Check out the Washington newspapers sometime and see for yourself what the feeling is about Campbell. As for Rodgers, most of the teams felt that he was the 3rd best qb in the draft behind Smith and Campbell. Most of the scouting websites had Charlie Frye, a late 1st rounder, but you see where he was drafted. Don't forget Washington traded away several draft picks to get Campbell in the first because they heard that the Browns were going to draft him in 2nd.

kartr

Reaction score
TheSport78 said:
listen, i like parcells because of his win-now, no BS attitude. however i think he is holding this franchise back because of one sole position; QB. henson NEEDS to start playing in regular season games this year. i'm sick of hearing how he's not ready or his confidence is at risk of being tarnished. we traded for this guy to be our QB of the future! THIS IS THE NFL. most people dont get a shot at the NFL alone. so i say parcells, i love what you did with the draft with Ware, Spears, Burnett, etc. for the FUTURE. but in terms of the most important position on a football team, bringing bledsoe in is just avoiding the inevitable. because of parcells' win-now attitude, he probably refuses to start a rookie QB, but this is supposed to be our future franchise QB; which i think is more important than parcells' will to win now because he won't be around in the next year or two. henson will struggle yes, but almost every rookie QB has to struggle, it's a "stage" they go through. but that stage is where we find out if he's a daunte culpepper or an akili smith. WE NEED TO KNOW NOW! GO COWBOYS

You're right he is holding the team back, but not because he isn't playing Henson. He's holding the team back because Henson is on the roster taking up the slot of more qualified young qb's that we passed on and bringing in old retread qb's who used to play for him, but can't play for anyone anymore. He's set the team back 5 years with the qb's we have now.