Parcells is holding team back?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
DallasEast said:
Ten, twenty, fifty years down the line, this franchise's fans will look back and see him as a footnote well beneath that of Meredith, Staubach, White, Aikman and the next great Cowboys quarterback.

Well, most fans.

Some will still replay the two passes to Antonio Bryant in their heads for decades.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander said:
Well, most fans.

Some will still replay the two passes to Antonio Bryant in their heads for decades.
True, true...

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Alexander said:
I don't think either are significantly better than Henson would be if he had four years of college in him.
THey would be considered not in his league if henson stayed in college. Henson was of david carr, michael vick ilk as a prospect.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
kartr said:
Even if he had been the top pick, doesn't mean he would have been any good, see Tim Couch. Since he didn't go back and play his senior year and played baseball for the next 3 years, that means he's regressed, say about 3 years and his skills now are roughly the equivalent of a college freshman which makes him virtually useless to us for 3-4 years.
Good, unbiased math :rolleyes:

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
kartr said:
That comment was beyond stupid.

Why? It's only an exaggeration of this comment....

kartr said:
Carter has a career 53% winning percentage, but if you take away his first 2 starts, he has a 60% plus winning percentage, which is good for a 10 win season compared to Hutch's 3 win season.

Might as well take away all the losses if it better supports your argument.

Alexander

Reaction score
Tio said:
Henson was of david carr, michael vick ilk as a prospect.

But that is as a prospect and not with a layoff.

I want Henson to do well and be our franchise QB of the future. But I would not bet a single red cent on it occurring as we have no evidence that he will.

We have just as much justification to bank on Romo being our QB of the future.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Alexander said:

I want Henson to do well and be our franchise QB of the future. But I would not bet a single red cent on it occurring as we have no evidence that he will.

That is true. I factor in potential, pedigree and talent. Henson has more than all the qbs mentioned. Maybe he will reach his potential, maybe not, but he is the guy I'm pulling for because his reward is by far the highest.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Alexander said:

I disagree lets say you buy a race car (1st round pedigree..Henson) and a bicycle (UDFA, Romo) sight unseen...now you need to win a straight line race of 100 miles... You have a much better chance of winning that race with the race car(if of course its fully functional) than you are the bicycle(if it functions)so if you had to hedge bets it would be wisest to hedge them towards Henson but that still is no sure thing..

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Tio said:
That is true. I factor in potential, pedigree and talent. Romo has more than all the qbs mentioned. Maybe he will reach his potential, maybe not, but he is the guy I'm pulling for because his reward is by far the highest.

WHAT??! Romo has what pedigree :laugh1: he is a UDFA...let me put it this way if he was a dog he would be a mut while those drafted would have pedigee and those with 1st round would be pure breeds...

Potential...hmmm...a UDFA's potential is pretty low and making a team as a 3rd QB would have to be considered a success

Talent again if he was a great talent he would not have been a UDFA

I don't blame ya for pulling for a guy...but a little realism wouldn't hurt

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Bledsoe will be the eighth starting QB since the retirement of Troy.......We can only hope that he can fulfill the void until #9 is ready to start.

Whether it be Henson or Romo one of the two must be the future at the QB position or we are in for a long wait for the next ring.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Bledsoe will be the eighth starting QB since the retirement of Troy.......We can only hope that he can fulfill the void until #9 is ready to start.

Whether it be Henson or Romo one of the two must be the future at the QB position or we are in for a long wait for the next ring.

I agree... we nned to do something about the position

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Henson is still on the roster... Henson is still getting practice reps... Henson is still getting time with the offensive coaches... If he's still on the bench AFTER this season with no chance of getting the starting job, then I'm gonna worry, until then I'm rooting for Bledsoe... Henson is still learning from the bench just like Culpepper did, just like McNair did, even McNutts sat for a year. WHAT OTHER CHANCE DO WE HAVE BESIDES WISHING FOR THE BEST?? When the time does finally come, I think we'll be pleasantly surprised... No promises, just my hunch.

To answer the question, as far as holding the team back... In retrospect something different should have been done in year one... but hey you can't blame Bill for just plain trying to coach the existing players. They did learn a lot that first season. Remember BP's first year in Dallas was also his first year without his faithful crew of yesteryear (Belichick, Crennel, Weis, Henning, Groh, etc). Before worrying about the QB this year first, I'm waiting for the jury on the defense this year... Defense will cure most of what ails you... We wouldn't have had a snowball's chance in hell of that 10-6 record 2 years ago if it wasn't for that #1 defense... My worry is defense first, which shouldn't be too much of a worry, growing pains for some games maybe... but after that, then I worry about the QB. In that order.

Alexander

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
I disagree lets say you buy a race car (1st round pedigree..Henson) and a bicycle (UDFA, Romo) sight unseen...now you need to win a straight line race of 100 miles... You have a much better chance of winning that race with the race car(if of course its fully functional) than you are the bicycle(if it functions)so if you had to hedge bets it would be wisest to hedge them towards Henson but that still is no sure thing..

We may have bought a race car, but it is missing half of the engine. So, the bike may be preferable at this point.

I swear, some of you act like this layoff means nothing.

It not like he was at the top of his game when he quit football and messed about in baseball. He was still a project when at Michigan.

But he also gave up years of football experience. I am utterly amazed that some of you either ignore that or simply pretend it does not exist.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Alexander said:
We may have bought a race car, but it is missing half of the engine. So, the bike may be preferable at this point.

It not like he was at the top of his game when he quit football and messed about in baseball. He was still a project when at Michigan.

But he also gave up years of football experience. I am utterly amazed that some of you either ignore that or simply pretend it does not exist.

You are talking to fans who had a QB named Staubach who was away for 5 years.;)

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Alexander said:

and I swear that some think playing QB is equivalent to doing brain surgery

the game of football is simple it really is...

now adjusting to the speed.. and by that I mean.. what was a covered WR in college might be open in the pros..that has to be learned and that comes about by playing...

Most of what a QB use to have to do is now being done on the sidelines and through communication devices

such as down and distance recognition, play calling, etc

it helps to have someone who is able to move around in the pocket to buy a little time should the play break down and also make a good decision with the football...throw it away...What not...

but all in all they don't need to understand nuclear fusion

blindzebra

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
and I swear that some think playing QB is equivalent to doing brain surgery

the game of football is simple it really is...

now adjusting to the speed.. and by that I mean.. what was a covered WR in college might be open in the pros..that has to be learned and that comes about by playing...

Most of what a QB use to have to do is now being done on the sidelines and through communication devices

such as down and distance recognition, play calling, etc

it helps to have someone who is able to move around in the pocket to buy a little time should the play break down and also make a good decision with the football...throw it away...What not...

but all in all they don't need to understand nuclear fusion

Also Henson was a professional athlete during his time away. Even if it was a different sport, it's not like he was sitting on his couch watching TV for 3 years.

He is more fully aware of the off the field issues too, because he's had the money, the attention that comes with it, and the pressure from the media from being under the spot light as a Yankee.

He was a coaches kid, that was breaking down film while his peers were eating boogers and laughing about it. Football is second nature to him.

Many like to make the Hutchinson comparison with the time away. Hutchinson did not play football until is junior year of high school. Henson started at FIVE breaking down film with his dad.

Sure the time away is an issue, but we are talking about riding a bike with Henson. Hutchinson's old bike still had training wheels, Henson's was in the Tour De France.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Also Henson was a professional athlete during his time away. Even if it was a different sport, it's not like he was sitting on his couch watching TV for 3 years.

He is more fully aware of the off the field issues too, because he's had the money, the attention that comes with it, and the pressure from the media from being under the spot light as a Yankee.

He was a coaches kid, that was breaking down film while his peers were eating boogers and laughing about it. Football is second nature to him.

Many like to make the Hutchinson comparison with the time away. Hutchinson did not play football until is junior year of high school. Henson started at FIVE breaking down film with his dad.

Sure the time away is an issue, but we are talking about riding a bike with Henson. Hutchinson's old bike still had training wheels, Henson's was in the Tour De France.

Well said BZ and as much or more a valid point as the "he played baseball...so he <fill in the blank>"