Parcells on NFL network

blindzebra

Reaction score
What was Parcells really saying?

The problem right now is we have a proven, solid LB that has never been a blitzer so he will struggle with that aspect, a rookie from a 4-3, a basketball player/converted WR, and 3 converted DEs, that to quote Parcells, "Are having trouble with the mental aspects of shifting from pass rusher to coverage."

In other words we lack any experienced depth at OLB for the 3-4. Which means growing pains and maybe more 4-3 looks than we thought.

Kilyin

Reaction score
I knew this thread was a waste of time before I clicked on it. It's good to be right.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Your 4-3 wanna be is just that

Howard aint here and last I looked he aint coming through that door anytime soon. We drafted 3-4 and are 3-4. Your 4-3 boy Alsmall is in serious risk at OLB in a 3-4. What amuses me most is you don't even see the peril your boy is in. Dude - He's "ripped" and bigger than Ware.... next.....

Catalytic is he?

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Just saw it again.

Bill said "I am concerned about OLB. Now that might surprise you, but basically it's all about depth. It's about depth".

Kilyin

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Just saw it again.

Bill said "I am concerned about OLB. Now that might surprise you, but basically it's all about depth. It's about depth".

Translation: It's time to cut Al Singleton.

:lmao:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Just saw it again.

So... in other words... the starters are okay. Right?

Current starters:

Ware
Nguyen
James
Als

Parcells is intimating that he's worried about the guys behind the starters, huh?

You'd have to think he'd be okay with Burnett, so I suppose he's a little worried about Shanle, O'Neil, Fowler?

Interesting, I'd say.

blindzebra

Reaction score
just how small is Al?

Al and Bradie.http://i6.***BLOCKED***/albums/y245/blindzebra/DSC03814.jpg

Ware at left with Al watching

http://i6.***BLOCKED***/albums/y245/blindzebra/DSC03336.jpg

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Depth after he lops Als $2M cap - a 4-3 LB that don't fit our 3-4 pretty clear. He has no pass rush skills, inability to engage Oline and no coverage skills. Call 1-800-BURNETT!

Parcells' wish list
December 29, 2004
Related articles:
• Cowboys' Parcells ready to make some changes
• Testaverde leads Cowboys to victory

Related news from the Web
Latest headlines by topic:
• Sports
• NFL
• Dallas Cowboys

Powered by Topix.net
By Jaime Aron

The Associated Press

IRVING, Texas -- As much as Bill Parcells professes to be focused on this season, he's dropped enough hints lately to make it clear he's already started thinking about how he'll improve the Dallas Cowboys this offseason.

And since Parcells is an avid list-maker, breaking down his offseason priorities into must-gets, need-to-gets and want-to-gets, here's a potential rough draft based on his statements from the last two weeks.

Must-gets

Defensive playmakers, preferably more than one.

You were expecting something about a quarterback, weren't you? Sorry, that comes much lower.

Parcells points out that mediocre QBs (like Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson) won recent Super Bowls. Teams with mediocre defenses haven't.

"We've got a lot of work to do on defense. Matter of fact, I think we need more things on defense than we do on offense," Parcells said. "We need more dynamic, opportunistic, aggressive, catalytic kind of players. Every good defense in the league has some."

Dropping from first to 21st in yards allowed is only part of the problem. He's bothered more by Dallas' inability to generate turnovers.

The solution starts with pairing Pro Bowl tackle La'Roi Glover and end Greg Ellis with better players. Marcellus Wiley was a bust, as were the gaggle of tackles Parcells counted on.

"I think you need some kind of defensive pressure player," Parcells said. "It would be nice to have two so they can't pay attention to one all the time."

Hurrying quarterbacks also would help the secondary. So would the addition of another safety and a right cornerback. Plug those holes and odds are Roy Williams and Terence Newman can become the difference-makers the Cowboys expected when making them top-10 picks.

Upgrading the offensive line.

Though the unit has been decent this season, Parcells said Monday, "There are other things we need to add. When the season's over, I'll be trying to do that."

The right side needs the most work, with guard Andre Gurode and a recent smorgasbord of tackles playing themselves out of the lineup. The left side will be interesting, too, with guard Larry Allen not getting any younger and tackle Flozell Adams regressing after making the Pro Bowl last season.

Something else to watch: Second-round pick Jacob Rogers can't crack the field at right tackle, but Parcells said he could handle left tackle. Asked whether that will affect his plans for '05, Parcells said: "It definitely could."

"That is some of the things that I am thinking about that I guess wouldn't be obvious," he said.

Need-to-gets

TE Dan Campbell and WR Terry Glenn returning from season-ending foot injuries.

That's right, still not a quarterback. But we're getting close because of how important those two are to the offense.

Glenn is the deep threat who stretches defenses. Campbell is the sixth lineman; his blocking helps the running game and his presence makes Jason Witten more effective.

As often as Parcells has bemoaned their absence, it's clear the trickle-down effect of replacing both has been among the reasons he's stuck with 41-year-old Vinny Testaverde instead of newcomers Drew Henson and Tony Romo.

"If we start one of these young guys next year, it's going to be an absolute that we have to have the right combination of characters around them," Parcells said. "Right now, with everybody healthy, we've got a good start on that."

A QB game plan.

Taking care of the previous three to-do items will take money and-or draft picks. Don't expect more to be spent here.

And if those three things get done, the 2005 starter would be set up at least as good as Quincy Carter was in leading Dallas into the playoffs at 10-6 last year.

So expect Testaverde to start the opener and save your venom over replacing him until August. Whether Henson or Romo eventually replaces him will depend on where they spend their offseason (Valley Ranch or NFL Europe) and how well they do there.

"There's a very good chance one of those two could be the quarterback in 2005," Parcells said.

Want-to-gets

More running backs.

Parcells wants his RB corps to resemble a baseball bullpen, with everyone having a role.

Julius Jones is set as the featured back. Now Parcells wants a nimble guy with good hands for third downs and a bruiser to help wear out defenses.

"I don't think there's any question we're going to have to get another runner at some point," Parcells said. "You'd like to have a combination of a little bit bigger one. But if I had to pick one, I'd pick an elusive back."

Bigger linebackers.

Starters Dexter Coakley (5-foot-10), Dat Nguyen (5-11) and Al Singleton (6-2) have combined for just one sack, two fumble recoveries and two interceptions.

Size doesn't necessarily lead to more big plays, but to Parcells it certainly helps. This one is more of a hunch, based mostly on how often he says things like, "We have to be able to create more things on defense, many more than we've created."

Bottom line

The Parcells Lovers of 2003 have turned into Parcells Bashers in '04. Someone with his track record doesn't lose his touch that quickly.

Besides, he's set up to succeed.

He's got this blueprint to help get him started, plus two first-round picks and plenty of salary-cap room. Dallas remains a dream destination for free agents and playing for Parcells is a lure, too.

Parcells, however, frets about whether the right players will be available. For instance, Philadelphia was lucky that Terrell Owens was on the market when it went looking for a game-breaking receiver.

Still, Parcells believes he has a decent core. He knows it's up to him to make it better.

"I think there is a chance that it can be rectified pretty quickly," Parcells said last week. "Will it? I don't know. Can it? Yes."

Kilyin

Reaction score
You forgot the most important part of the article, you know, the one that debunks your entire reason for posting it.

Size doesn't necessarily lead to more big plays, but to Parcells it certainly helps. This one is more of a hunch, based mostly on how often he says things like, "We have to be able to create more things on defense, many more than we've created."

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
Looks roughly the size of big ol' Bradie to me.
Bradie is in the battle of his LIFE.

Shanle and Fowler appear to be beating him out inside so far.

Smith22

Reaction score
I have never seen someone so willing and anxious to toot his own horn constantly. Do us all a favor, get over yourself and put the team ahead of your own wants/fantasies/truth or whatever you want to call it.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I'm not "Coming at you", Nors. I just think Singleton will make the team.

I like Burnett better too. I just think it's personal for you about Singleton and with certain members of this board about Singleton.

And that is unbecoming and many grow weary of it.

So I give in to temptation and pick on you a little. Don't take it personally.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Nors said:

Really? Is that why Bradie is running first team and getting plenty of credit from Bill?

Did you watch the game yet? James had a decent game as well.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Kilyin said:
You forgot the most important part of the article, you know, the one that debunks your entire reason for posting it.

No I get it

Did you read how many sacks, interceptions our LB's created last year? Did you see Parcells comment about adding catalytic plymakers to D. DID YOU SEE HIM ADD WARE AND BURNETT IN ROUNDS 1 AND 2!

This is simple math - Add in ALs's $2M Cap hit...... :cool:

blindzebra

Reaction score
Nors said:

That would explain Bradie starting and playing by far the best game I've seen him play.

The 3 best LBs on the field Saturday night were James, Singleton, and Fowler.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
C'mon Nors... proove them wrong. Give a straight answer.

If Parcells is concerned with depth... why would he cut a LB?

Okay buddy... there's the question. Now give it a straight answer. I'm pulling for ya.

Focus Nors. If concerned about depth... why cut LB?

Answer straight.

The sad thing is this question can easily be answered (whether it's a truthful/factual answer or not), but Nors knows he's wrong about Als so he can't come up with it.

And I sure as hell ain't gonna help him. :)

Kilyin

Reaction score
A+ for persistence, F for factual presentation.

When Singleton is still first string at the end of this season, what are you going to say then?