Parsons as a pass rusher

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Parson's best traits right now are "see ball, get ball". Both as a pass rusher and in the run game. His nose for the ball is elite.

I think he'll be used as a pass rusher quite a bit in his first year, because right now he is way too raw at diagnosing plays to be used in a more traditional manner.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

Which means you should seriously reassess your position.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I’m not usually very impressed by rookie tape, or highlight reels but I will have to say, that Parsons has me super intrigued. It seems as though he really has a knack for “timing” his rush and “getting small” to squirt through a tiny crease in the line.

If he stays healthy, and does what he did in college, we have found us a great one.
The potential is there...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It's as if they expect him to be a pro bowler in year one. We don't even know if he'll be a starter yet. It's just too much. I'm all for him being great but the high expectations are unwarranted, IMO.

so what, how does that affect you one single bit? Some people are excited about him and express it, how is that any skin off your nose? What gets old is having others tell people how to feel. Myself I am excited about Parson, the kid is highly talented ball player who has played against top players many who are in the NFL and he held up just fine against those players. Will he be a starter? as a 1st rd pick yes the coaches will make sure he sees playing time and likely will be a starter early on. They did not draft him that high to have him sit. I don't feel the need to hide my exciting of him and for those that need to pump the break then pump them that is your choice

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
so what, how does that affect you one single bit? Some people are excited about him and express it, how is that any skin off your nose? What gets old is having others tell people how to feel. Myself I am excited about Parson, the kid is highly talented ball player who has played against top players many who are in the NFL and he held up just fine against those players. Will he be a starter? as a 1st rd pick yes the coaches will make sure he sees playing time and likely will be a starter early on. They did not draft him that high to have him sit. I don't feel the need to hide my exciting of him and for those that need to pump the break then pump them that is your choice
That butt-hurt rant was precious. :clap:How you figure I'm telling anyone how to feel, I don't know. I'm warning you expectations are too high. If you want them dashed then feel free to have them, but I'll be there to say I told you so. And you are still not understanding my point when I say we don't know if he will be a starter. I'm not questioning if he has it in him to start. I'm pointing out chronologically we have not got to that point in time where starts are named and we have an ironclad depth chart. With that said, IMO, some of the posters are getting way ahead of the moment with their lofty comments about Parsons. It's borderline propaganda, it's so over the top.

Verdict

Reaction score
that because he was RB and a DE in HS before converting to LB which leads one to believe as a 3-4 OLB he can have ceilings , shall i dare say it, possibly the next D ware..can do it all really and those that were disappointed or upset we didnt trade up to get one of those CBs and are thinking this was a pick they settled on didnt so their homework.. MP was regarded as one of the top defenders in this draft and for good reason..

does it mean he lives up to those lofty expectations, no, but the kid has skill sets that are NFL ready..Speed, instinct, motor, and from what i hear in his comments i believe the drive to be good and get better he wants to be regarded as one of the best someday..

a lot of players have the skills and talent but not the drive...i could be wrong but he has the potential to be special..
Just hope he stays healthy. Excited about what this kid might turn out to be if he stays healthy and focused.

Verdict

Reaction score
That butt-hurt rant was precious. :clap:How you figure I'm telling anyone how to feel, I don't know. I'm warning you expectations are too high. If you want them dashed then feel free to have them, but I'll be there to say I told you so. And you are still not understanding my point when I say we don't know if he will be a starter. I'm not questioning if he has it in him to start. I'm pointing out chronologically we have not got to that point in time where starts are named and we have an ironclad depth chart. With that said, IMO, some of the posters are getting way ahead of the moment with their lofty comments about Parsons. It's borderline propaganda, it's so over the top.
Don’t be swayed by the propaganda little feller. Hang in there and own your pessimism. It’s so…refreshing.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He better be good at something for pass defending or we wasted a pick.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think we all see his skills. Previous to him..I felt LVE was a good pass rusher too. We know what happened with him. Let's be realistic our LBer experience has been a disaster. Lee then LVE and I want to protect Parsons. Not use him up like a pack of juicy fruit gum.

I was OK with the LBE pick, and hope LVE returns to form. But no one else on this team, probably since Ware has shown the explosiveness rushing the passer that Parsons has shown on tape. He’s freakish.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Don’t be swayed by the propaganda little feller. Hang in there and own your pessimism. It’s so…refreshing.
I'll not be dissuaded. My pragmatism may not be welcome but I'm going to express it nonetheless.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
He better be good at something for pass defending or we wasted a pick.
Not comparing the two ,, but Catch,, I say this with a serious face, I actually had Cowboy die hard friends of mine that said the same about Demarcus Ware at the time..

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I was OK with the LBE pick, and hope LVE returns to form. But no one else on this team, probably since Ware has shown the explosiveness rushing the passer that Parsons has shown on tape. He’s freakish.
Competing with amateur athletes, sometimes a player looks like a man amongst boys. It happens. But they don't always still excel once competing with pro athletes. My caution is that may happen with Parsons. I hope I'm wrong.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The undeserved praise that Parsons gets makes me want to barf. He's done nothing folks, not even earned a star for his helmet. Being a college star means nothing. This is the pros.

"He's a scrub."
"Snake oil"

I recall someone saying that.
Any idea?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
"He's a scrub."
"Snake oil"

I recall someone saying that.
Any idea?
All applicable until he earns the star on his helmet, then he will be a full-fledged Cowboy and worthy of praise when he does good. ;)

conner01

Reaction score
that because he was RB and a DE in HS before converting to LB which leads one to believe as a 3-4 OLB he can have ceilings , shall i dare say it, possibly the next D ware..can do it all really and those that were disappointed or upset we didnt trade up to get one of those CBs and are thinking this was a pick they settled on didnt so their homework.. MP was regarded as one of the top defenders in this draft and for good reason..

does it mean he lives up to those lofty expectations, no, but the kid has skill sets that are NFL ready..Speed, instinct, motor, and from what i hear in his comments i believe the drive to be good and get better he wants to be regarded as one of the best someday..

a lot of players have the skills and talent but not the drive...i could be wrong but he has the potential to be special..
He’s not gonna be the next Dware because he’s not gonna be rushing the passer near enough
Why he was effective as a pass rusher in college is in part because he wasn’t rushing all the time

catiii

Reaction score
Agreed. However, we've got to depend on a Cowboy organisation who plays the highest paid regardless of talent, and which - in recent history - is historically and profoundly ignorant about the specific talents of players and then using those talents in "creative" play design and position. And I don't know about you, but I am not at all confident in Big Mac to sort that out, but I am confident Jerry will try to coach from the owner's office and Big Mac will listen. :popcorn: