Parsons becoming a full DE?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
How does everyone feel about this?

Yea? :thumbup:

or

Nay? :thumbdown:
I like it. Been saying Micah needs to become a full-time Edge/Pass Rusher who switches sides. Only issue is he needs to bulk up and get bigger and stronger...which he is now currently doing. Turn Micah (6'3", 245 lbs, 4.39 40) into a Lawrence Taylor (6'3", 240 lbs, 4.53 40) / Derrick Thomas (6'3", 255 lbs, 4.58 40) type who can be an Edge DE who can rush the passer and stop the run to his side full time. Micah already has the size, weight and speed. Just needs to get thicker, stronger and increase his stamina so he can last and not wear down 3/4ths of the way through the season.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
He lacks linebacker instincts.

He’s just a super athlete out there but lacks skill and instincts as a linebacker.
Oh I know. Some still think I was wrong about micah not being worth a top 10 selection as a offball lb. I just think it's cute

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
It’s about time. It is just a formality because that was pretty much what he was doing last year anyway.

It isn’t like he’s putting on 30 pounds or anything. They’re just going to let him gain a little muscle and focus on his DE technique.

There are many LB’s that can do what Micah did at LB. However, there is almost nobody that can do what he does at DE.

He is beyond special at getting to the QB. That is what he needs to be doing 100%.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I like moving him around, I couldn't care less what his title is. The idea is no one knows where he'll be. Less predictable. There were times offenses did know and covered accordingly.
Not to mention weight gain can reduce speed. jmo

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don’t think I’m crazy about it either. Doing so announces to opponents just what to expect from him. I preferred to keep teams guessing. And that’s why I feel his rookie year was better than year two.
That was my first reaction, but honestly I have trust in what Quinn wants to do that I haven’t around here since Parcells was the HC.

If teams are gonna double or chip Parsons, there’s several others now that can make plays.

You’ve seen the clips of Overshot blitzing and Fehoko rushing. It’s something to be excited over. Wilson and Kearse are playmakers. Watch Clarke get things together this year. We actually added an outstanding vet corner that will probably make Diggs better just by inspiration and sharing of knowledge…and man the other side as well.

This defense has a shot to be really special, and I truly feel as if we are getting coaching that we can think about giving the benefit of the doubt to.

If I’m Charlie Brown again, well ok. I’m used to it lol.

RS12

Reaction score
Hate it. He will get worn down by O Lineman that outweigh him by 60 pounds as the season wears on. This is about the difference in pay day as being a DE vs LB, nothing more. Should stay his original weight and be moved around like a chess piece to find favorable matchups.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I said before and after Micah was drafted that I didn’t want him if they weren’t going to let his go after the QB.

His ability to effect the QB is what scares defenses to death.l
But even as a blitzing MLB I don't think he'd be worth it. It's him on the edge and being able to beat tackles is what makes him worth it. Devin white is one of the best blitzing lbs and Tampa fans hate him minus the 4 game super bowl stretch

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I honestly wouldnt hate switching to 3-4
We already play one on first down/run downs. We use a 5-tech, 1-tech, 3-tech and two DPR/OLBs in that setup. That's usually the formation where we would have Micah at MLB, but it's strictly on run downs and we primarily play 4-3 nickel with Kearse at one of the linebacker spots as a hybrid.

I don't know if we'd switch Micah to a DPR spot in the run formation or if this is strictly about him paying DE in the nickel. His MLB spot is 30 percent or less of the snaps, so it's not like he was spending much time there. We put him there more against Green Bay to try to be stronger against the run, but that didn't go well so I don't expect us to try that again.

Creeper

Reaction score
Just thought of this.....does this mean we need another starting LBer?
They have Damone Clark, Jabril Cox, Devon Harper, Overshown and LVE on the roster. I suspect LVE and Clark will be starters. Cox, Overshown and Harper will fight to get on the field. Takk McKinley is also listed as a LB but he is more of a Edge/DE in my mind. They also signed Tyrus Wheat and Durrell Johnson as UDFAs. Both appear to be Edge guys but could play special teams.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I like moving him around, I couldn't care less what his title is. The idea is no one knows where he'll be. Less predictable. There were times offenses did know and covered accordingly.
Not to mention weight gain can reduce speed. jmo
He’ll play both sides at times.

All those times the QB stepped up in the pocket with Parsons streaking behind him? Mazi is going to push that pocket and the QB’s will now have to stay back there and deal with Micah.

That is why he was begging Quinn for Mazi Smith.

We’ll have to see…. But having Smith inside could make a HUGE difference in the Dallas pass rush.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He shall now be known as Double Team. The NFL has figured him out.
His strong suit was LB.
Some of you act like we're going to stick him at RDE and leave him there. He will be moved around to try to create mismatches.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
We already play one on first down/run downs. We use a 5-tech, 1-tech, 3-tech and two DPR/OLBs in that setup. That's usually the formation where we would have Micah at MLB, but it's strictly on run downs and we primarily play 4-3 nickel with Kearse at one of the linebacker spots as a hybrid.

I don't know if we'd switch Micah to a DPR spot in the run formation or if this is strictly about him paying DE in the nickel. His MLB spot is 30 percent or less of the snaps, so it's not like he was spending much time there. We put him there more against Green Bay to try to be stronger against the run, but that didn't go well so I don't expect us to try that again.
Yeah, Quinn will use whatever aspects of a 34 that suits him play to play.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
This isn’t going to wear him down either.

He was tired last year because he played almost every play and he always goes at 100 mph.

Hell, last year they have Micah a rest by putting him at MLB for the next play. He was exhausted but because he played constantly. By having enough LB’s the team can let him rest on some running downs and be fresh when he lines up on 3rd and 9.

He will be a lot more rested and not begging for a time out to rest.

None of his fatigue was because he was rushing the QB. He can do it just like Von Miller, Lawrence Taylor, Etc. Who were about his size if not smaller.

CWR

Reaction score
Micah is too good at rushing the passer to not be rushing the passer.

Hopefully he stays just as explosive with the added weight and helps with keeping him healthier

Another reason they were so high on overshown

Hopefully it helps him to maintain his early season explosiveness.

He was being worn down by bigger players.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
He's almost exclusively been an edge anyways.

They'll still move him around to blitz but there's not point in wasting time and effort on him as an off-ball LB.