Parsons: Dak should be in the MVP conversation

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
For Offensive player of the year, but MVP is different. It’s not just about who’s playing the best; why Brees never got close to winning it despite prolific seasons year after year.

Dallas’ defense will prevent Dak from being a serious candidate
Cousins was gonna be a candidate if he kept his production up and they kept winning.

Not sure how Dak’s defense will hold him back unless you think Micah will steal votes?

Jipper

Reaction score
That’s fine, I think Dak has had a good year. In fact the last few games while using his legs have been great. I just don’t think he’s in the MVP race.
This - he’s been good for sure but not great - had he not pooped the bed against sf and also found a way to win last week I think we’re having a different conversation

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Also fair, but I guess there has to be leading candidates at the mid way point
Yeah and it’s tough initially I was just gonna say it was Mahomes but his stats look pedestrian. Purdy, Tua and Cousins started out so strong….

Honestly though they would probably just give it to Hurts. He has a lot of one yard touchdowns on his resume…..

Lamar is another candidate.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That’s fine, I think Dak has had a good year. In fact the last few games while using his legs have been great. I just don’t think he’s in the MVP race.
Understood. I personally wouldn’t make the argument but the names people throw out there? He’s having seasons just as good as them. But like I said above this is November. By the end of the next month this race will look a lot more condensed. And by that point I do think in order for us to get where we want it’s gonna have to come from him carrying this team with no run game.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Both of the prominent \ most recognized NFL MVP awards (AP, PFWA) have long been the domain of the quarterback position, just like the Heisman Trophy.

Non-QB NFL MVPs over the previous 30 years___
1993 Emmitt Smith
1997 Barry Sanders
1998 Terrell Davis
2000 Marshall Faulk
2001 Faulk (PFWA only)
2005 Shaun Alexander
2006 LaDainian Tomlinson
2003 Jamal Lewis (PFWA only)
2012 Adrian Peterson

As you can see, all nine of the winners are RBs.

In 1987, Jerry Rice won three of the four MVPs that existed
- but not the AP (John Elway)

The first year the NFL MVP was awarded was in 1938.
In those 85 seasons (1938 - 2022), and whether there were two or more honors existed, here is the list of defensive players that garnered that recognition:

1971 Alan Page
1986 Lawrence Taylor
I understand that but if things continue like it’s going we won’t be having a MVP that’s a QB this year.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak is playing as well as he can lately but no. I do wish Parsons and others would be less vocal and just play.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Understood. I personally wouldn’t make the argument but the names people throw out there? He’s having seasons just as good as them. But like I said above this is November. By the end of the next month this race will look a lot more condensed. And by that point I do think in order for us to get where we want it’s gonna have to come from him carrying this team with no run game.
Agree completely! If we go on a streak (that includes the next Philly game)…and he’s doing what he’s been doing recently, the narrative changes. He has to be great to out us where we need to be come playoff time. It’s the only way, in my book, we advance.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
This - he’s been good for sure but not great - had he not pooped the bed against sf and also found a way to win last week I think we’re having a different conversation
Exactly

Motorola

Reaction score
I understand that but if things continue like it’s going we won’t be having a MVP that’s a QB this year.
I doubt it...but we will see as the season's 2nd half unfolds.

Since it's a single game that involves a championship, a non- QB player who turns in an outstanding \ dominating performance, has a decent chance to be awarded the Super Bowl MVP.
Last 10 SB MVPs___ 2 were LBs, 2 were WRs.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It's so sad how so many who used to adamantly defend Micah the previous 2 seasons would argue that Micah was this team's best player, was one of the league's best MVP candidates and had earned every right to say whatever he wants. Suddenly now that Micah has rightfully supported Dak and demanded everyone give Dak his due respect and be an MVP candidate, most if not all of his diehard supporters have turned on him. Very sad to see.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Cousins was gonna be a candidate if he kept his production up and they kept winning.

Not sure how Dak’s defense will hold him back unless you think Micah will steal votes?
Cousins was a legitimate candidate because of the circumstances surrounding him. It’s why I say Dak’s defense had removed him from candidacy (up to this point, things could always change).

It’s not just Micah when I say D either. If you go back 50 years, MVPs haven’t always been the guy with the best passer rating or the most yards or TD passes, or the RB with the most TDs/yards. But it has always followed two narratives:

The overwhelmingly most valuable player on their team (which is Dak, Micah isn’t close)

And

How much is that player’s value directly leading to onfield success?

Every MVP candidate smashes both of those narratives. That is why it is a narrative-driven award. Look at Dallas. At 5-3, You beat the Giants by 40 and Dak has a pedestrian game, you beat the Pats by 30 and the Jets by 20 and the Rams by 20. How many of Dallas’ wins would you have lost if you started a league average QB instead of Dak? You likely blow out all 4 of those teams still. Only the Charger’s game could you make that claim.

It’s not Dak’s fault, he has no control over his defense putting the game away before halftime; but it’s not Drew Brees’ fault his defenses were often porous, nor is it Rodgers’ fault his team used to shy away from adding talent in free agency. Just like Jalen has no control over ref blunders or questionable Washington coaching decisions that have risen his MVP stock. This is how the Matt Ryan’s and the Cam Newton’s and Carson Wentz’s get serious consideration for league MVP despite not being the best QB of that year: the narrative is heavily in their favor.

You can go through KC’s 7-2 or Philly’s 8-1 and pick out 4, 5, 6 wins where their QB’s gutted out situations that probably should have been losses. Those are moments that build MVP cases, not “they have X amount of touchdowns or a billion more yards-per-net-gained-through-the-air-approximation-run-after whatever.

And because of that, Kirk was carrying Minnesota. Even the losses were close losses against 2022 playoff teams where Kirk played excellent. But if they finished 9-8 or worse, he definitely wouldn’t have qualified for the second part, it’d have been a Drew Brees type season. The talk about Kirk being a serious candidate was based of the projection the Vikings were about to make a serious run in the second half, and he was vital to that.

I think there is a runaway MVP candidate this year, and it’s Joe Burrow. There is no example more emphasized in a QB’s value to their team than how Joe was at the beginning of the year when the Bengals looked like they couldn’t beat anyone, and how Joe is playing now where it seems believable they might just run the table (of course like Kirk, again projection).

Last edited: