Pat Robertson speaks out for marijuana legalization

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Televangelist Pat Robertson is raising eyebrows, and cheers from activists who are usually his opponents on political issues, by calling for the legalization of marijuana.

“I really believe we should treat marijuana the way we treat beverage alcohol,” Robertson told The New York Times on Wednesday. “I’ve never used marijuana and I don’t intend to, but it’s just one of those things that I think: this war on drugs just hasn’t succeeded.”

The comments came after Robertson affirmed his support for marijuana decriminalization – which he had voiced in 2010 – on his TV show, “The 700 Club,” last week.

“I became sort of a hero of the hippie culture, I guess, when I said I think we ought to decriminalize the possession of marijuana,” Robertson, 81, said on his Christian Broadcasting Network show.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/...aks-out-for-marijuana-legalization/?hpt=hp_c2

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Wow, this came a shocker. I thought I has seen everything but did not expect to see this. :laugh2:

Illini88228

Reaction score
He's alluded to holding this opinion before. Not to be political, but at what point has the tide of opinion shifted completely on this issue?

Duane

Reaction score
Pat and I now officially agree on one thing now. :laugh2:

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
Duane;4443864 said:
Pat and I now officially agree on one thing now. :laugh2:
Now all we have to do is figure out which one of you two are actually at the center of the universe. :laugh2:

I kid of course. ;) I am the only one allowed to be at the center. :D

Well I guess I'll toss in my two cents. It probably would be a good idea to decriminalize weed now that we know we have lost the war on drugs, we might as well get some tax revenue out of it.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Obviously Robinson's not as Bat **** as I thought he was.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I will never understand why weed is so important to some people.

Please, no one try to explain it to me. Let me be lost on this topic.

basstapp

Reaction score
me either, I dont need another reason to be lazy :), getting out of bed at 6:00 am is hard enough as is.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Considering it's less damaging and in many cases quite a bit more beneficial than alcohol, I think it's a little odd that it isn't legal.

The biggest issue is abuse of it. Recreational use IMO is okay I supposed since alcohol is legal. IMO, they should probably just legalize it, or make alcohol illegal.

The legalization of marijuana is far more likely to happen than deeming alcohol illegal due to the economic impact though loss of sales, taxes, and jobs.

I seriously doubt either happen in the next 20 years though.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
:laugh2:

LSD should be considered for alcoholism treatment, study says

(CBS News) Decades ago, researchers would examine LSD's effects on various health conditions including pain, anxiety, and alcoholism. A new study suggests it might be time to revisit the mind-altering drug's therapeutic uses. The study found lysergic acid diethylamide, also known as acid, could help serious alcoholics sober up.

"Given the evidence for a beneficial effect of LSD on alcoholism, it is puzzling why this treatment approach has been largely overlooked," study author Pal-Orjan Johansen, a neuroscientist at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, said in a written statement.

For the study, Norwegian researchers reviewed six different LSD studies that were conducted in the U.S. between 1966 and 1970, that examined the effects of LSD on 536 alcoholics. Some patients received a single dose of LSD, while patients who served as controls received a low dose of LSD, a stimulant drug, or nothing at all.

Researchers found nearly 60 percent of patients showed a clear improvement compared with 38 percent of the control group, and were less likely to relapse on alcohol.

Many of the alcoholics who took LSD also reported a "greater self-acceptance and openeness," and said they gained a new appreciation for their alcohol problem and new motivation to address it. The improvement was most evident during the first few months of treatment but gradually waned as months went on. The researchers say since alcoholism is a chronic, relapsing disorder, ongoing LSD treatment might be beneficial. The study is published in the March 8 issue of the Journal of Psychopharmacology.

Complete Story

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4444504 said:
Considering it's less damaging and in many cases quite a bit more beneficial than alcohol, I think it's a little odd that it isn't legal.

The biggest issue is abuse of it. Recreational use IMO is okay I supposed since alcohol is legal. IMO, they should probably just legalize it, or make alcohol illegal.

The legalization of marijuana is far more likely to happen than deeming alcohol illegal due to the economic impact though loss of sales, taxes, and jobs.

It is just a matter of time until it is legalized. Medical marijuana will become the norm within a decade and full legalization will follow.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4444504 said:

The early baby boomer generation was largely brainwashed by media ads and wives tails back in the 50s and 60s about how marijuana gave you diseases, melted your brain, caused your hair to fall out, was ALWAYS a gateway to hard narcotics, etc and many still believe this nonsense today. What surprises me isnt why it spent so much time being illegal but rather that the enormous push for it's legalization over the last decade hasnt really moved the country very far towards that goal.

The biggest issue is abuse of it.

The problems associated with abusing marijuana are minor compared to alcohol and cigarettes. Weed doesnt causes cancer, brain cell death, heart disease or liver failure and it is almost impossible to overdose on it. It is far less addictive than alcohol or nicotine and most people suffer no physical withdrawel symptoms. Outside of the altered state of mind (not nearly as altered as after even a few beers, mind you) there really isnt any major issues with it. They've also shown that driving high is far less dangerous than driving drunk is as alcohol has a greater effect at much lower doses.

or make alcohol illegal.

We tried that once. It resulted in the largest crime hike in US history and was possibly the worst idea ever conceived by our government.

We learned this the hard way in the 20s. Alcohol will never be touched by the government again.

Weed will someday be legal but it may take all the baby boomers dying off first.

Again, all this from someone who never has and never will use the stuff. I just think it's silly that the goernment tells people they can smoke tobacco and drink alcohol but not touch something far less harmful to their bodies in both the short and long term. Plus, weed would easily be a billion dollar a year industry if it were legal. Legalize it and tax the hell out of it.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hostile;4444250 said:
I will never understand why weed is so important to some people.

Please, no one try to explain it to me. Let me be lost on this topic.

Why is anything important to anyone? What kind of statement is that. :laugh2:

As to whether it's legal or not, I have no strong opinion. Everyone that wants to smoke it already has, had or will.

If they do make it legal, the one thing I hope is that people have to do it in their homes.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;4444537 said:
It is just a matter of time until it is legalized. Medical marijuana will become the norm within a decade and full legalization will follow.

Medical marijuana is a joke. Not saying some do not use it for medical purpose but those who have pushed the medical use want it for more than medical use. There are prescriptions drugs that are used for medical reason that are addictive and can cause death if used improperly and yet many who have no medical condition use these drugs.

I have no problem with legalization of weed I just find some of the arguments as funny excuses.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TheCount;4444580 said:
Why is anything important to anyone? What kind of statement is that. :laugh2:

As to whether it's legal or not, I have no strong opinion. Everyone that wants to smoke it already has, had or will.

If they do make it legal, the one thing I hope is that people have to do it in their homes.

Let me say. I agree weed is no big deal however when a person is willing to lose their job over it then it seems it is a bigger deal to that individual person.

Myself I have smoked and did for a long time until the place I work implemented a drug testing program. At that point I had to make a choice of what was important getting high or having a good job. Easy my job means more. Yet we do see people throwing careers away because evidently they can't control it

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
And in other news....

By far the biggest abused substance problem (toher than alcohol) in this area right now is perscription drugs. Oxycontin leading the way.

A bit ironic, no?