Pat Watkins question...

Randy White

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Ive heard he tackles like a girl.

I've seen him play live against U.M. The guy will knock the snot out of you, which is sometimes a problem because of playing out of control, and he's a special team star. His speed is not great and neither is his quickness, which explains why he wasn't drafted higher.

Whomever compared him to Michael Downs was, pretty much, right on the money.

He's capable of having the same impact that Brock Marion did with the Cowboys.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
sago1 said:
There appear to be 3 reasons:
1. concern about his height because supposedly there hadn't been a FS that tall before, 2. Watkins had a great junior season in 04 and was ranked just behind Michael Huff & Jason Allen as 3rd top S in the country but in 05 he was supposedly wildly inconsistent, and 3. because of his height he couldn't turn around quickly at the LOS to cover a WR or TE.

Anyway during the ticket coverage on Sunday, I think it was the Cowboys position coach (Bowles) or was it the Cowboy scout(?) who tracked his progress at Miami just gushed about him and believed we got a great player. Said years ago there had been tall safeties and mentioned Kenny Houston, great player with the Commanders back in the 70s under George Allen who made life miserable for the Cowboys. Then later, Spagnola went on to say that Watkins inability to turn around quickly at the LOS due to his height wasn't a factor because we wanted to use him as a centerfield coverage FS and that we already had Roy Williams as the SS who played in the box on the lOS.

BTW: DMN Gosselin was on the ticket on Saturday & Sunday and was very high on both Fasano (described him as another Bravarro) and Pat Watkins (said he was last FS who was a real centerfield coverage player & exactly what we needed to play along side Roy Williams). He was very pleased that the Cowboys selected both players. Gosselin was also surprised we were able to grab Skyler Green; said there only 4 legit quality return men in the draft and Green was one of them, and he should have been gone by the time Cowboys took him in 4th around. Don't remember if any other names came up. All the mock drafts I saw had him going in late 2nd to mid 3rd.
An absolutely great post.

Watkins isn't blazing fast but his size and reach playing centerfield FS will help this defense tremendously by letting Roy Williams do what he does best which is patrol the center of the field in run support and blitz.

It was a solid draft pick and may turn out to be one of our best moves this weekend.

ravidubey

Reaction score
He runs a 4.4 and started three seasons at a big-time program in FSU. In each season he started, he tied for the team lead in interceptions. In his senior season he was second on the team with 44 solo tackles. Doesn't sound like a girl to me.

He may have played with other playmakers, but he certainly made his own share of plays. Numbers don't lie; he consistently made his share of plays regardless of whom he was playing with.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi said:
I think a lot of people in the internet draft community we're really excited about him because he was 6'4", but no one really bothered to notice that he really wasn't that good of a football player and doesn't make many plays. The problem is that scouts actually watch tape.

:bang2:

Ourlads, who's run by a 20+ year NFL scout thought he was the 4th best FS on the board.

I think people dismissed him because he's almost 6'5 and no one plays FS at 6'5.

Untill now. ;)

ravidubey

Reaction score
Randy White said:
Whomever compared him to Michael Downs was, pretty much, right on the money.

Michael Downs wishes he could have run a 4.4!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
twa said:
Judging from the number of tackles he made I could care less HOW he tackles,as long as he stops them and can cover.

The big hits and getting toasted at FS ain't working.

Isn't the that friggin truth...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
An absolutely great post.

Watkins isn't blazing fast but his size and reach playing centerfield FS will help this defense tremendously by letting Roy Williams do what he does best which is patrol the center of the field in run support and blitz.

It was a solid draft pick and may turn out to be one of our best moves this weekend.

Hos... this guy ran 4.47 at the combine. That's probably faster than any safety we have on the roster.

wileedog

Reaction score
twa said:
Judging from the number of tackles he made I could care less HOW he tackles,as long as he stops them and can cover.

All he really has to do is hold them up and wait for Roy.....

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Hos... this guy ran 4.47 at the combine. That's probably faster than any safety we have on the roster.
That's straight line speed and I agree. I'm talking about speed adjusting to the ball. There's a difference.

braw

Reaction score
In 05 Watkins had more tackles than Sims and Bunkley. In 04 was tied with Cromartie for ints and in 05 was tied for ints as well. I believe all those guys I mentioned were all 1st round players and yet Watkins had more production than them.

His problem his history says that a FS that big does not make it in the NFL. There is always a 1st for everything.

How can a guy have more production than his teammates in tackles and Ints and drop to the 5th round. When I saw the stats for 04 and 05 and he out tackle a LB and DT in 05 from the FS spot. In 04 only Sims had more tackles.

Well we know Parcells does not like DB that acts like a dog chasing cars.

aikemirv

Reaction score
How tall was Hanks for the 49ers. He was pretty tall and I thought he played FS. Just looked it up and he was 6'2".

When I saw the highlight of Watkins, that was who it kind of reminded me of.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
That's straight line speed and I agree. I'm talking about speed adjusting to the ball. There's a difference.

Here's what Ourlads had to say about Watkins...

Two-year starter. Tall and rangy free safety that plucks the ball at the high point. One of the top athletic workouts at the Combine for a safety. A grab and drag down tackler. Not a killer, but makes the play. Drops his head when tackling at times. Always around the ball. Quick to read and react. Smooth athlete in his pedal and transitions. Long arms and big hands to control receivers. Good range and leaping ability. Can use more upper and lower strength. Instinctive player that has good anticipation and drives on the ball in front of him. Flashes a recovery burst. Better in zone than man-to-man coverage. Can match up on some big receivers in the slot. Not a big hitter but makes the play. Plays on punt return. Second/third round.

Hos, I just don't think this guy is as slow in reacting as what many have suggested.

I think he was knocked down draft wise because he's a soft tackler #1 and #2 because he doesn't "fit" the norm of what a free safety is suppose to look like. Free safeties aren't 6'5". And I think that scared off many teams. Call it the NFL draft version of prejudice. :)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
braw said:
In 05 Watkins had more tackles than Sims and Bunkley. In 04 was tied with Cromartie for ints and in 05 was tied for ints as well. I believe all those guys I mentioned were all 1st round players and yet Watkins had more production than them.

His problem his history says that a FS that big does not make it in the NFL. There is always a 1st for everything.

How can a guy have more production than his teammates in tackles and Ints and drop to the 5th round. When I saw the stats for 04 and 05 and he out tackle a LB and DT in 05 from the FS spot. In 04 only Sims had more tackles.

Well we know Parcells does not like DB that acts like a dog chasing cars.

That's exactly right.

Watkins doesn't fit the "norm".

He's not within the comfortable margins of the bell curve and was punished for it.

But I think the guy can play. ;)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
aikemirv said:
How tall was Hanks for the 49ers. He was pretty tall and I thought he played FS. Just looked it up and he was 6'2".

When I saw the highlight of Watkins, that was who it kind of reminded me of.

Merton started out as corner but there is some validity there.

As long as he doesn't do that damn chicken dance. ;)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Here's what Ourlads had to say about Watkins...

Two-year starter. Tall and rangy free safety that plucks the ball at the high point. One of the top athletic workouts at the Combine for a safety. A grab and drag down tackler. Not a killer, but makes the play. Drops his head when tackling at times. Always around the ball. Quick to read and react. Smooth athlete in his pedal and transitions. Long arms and big hands to control receivers. Good range and leaping ability. Can use more upper and lower strength. Instinctive player that has good anticipation and drives on the ball in front of him. Flashes a recovery burst. Better in zone than man-to-man coverage. Can match up on some big receivers in the slot. Not a big hitter but makes the play. Plays on punt return. Second/third round.

Hos, I just don't think this guy is as slow in reacting as what many have suggested.

I think he was knocked down draft wise because he's a soft tackler #1 and #2 because he doesn't "fit" the norm of what a free safety is suppose to look like. Free safeties aren't 6'5". And I think that scared off many teams. Call it the NFL draft version of prejudice. :)
Fair enough. Here's hoping he was the steal of the Draft a la Canty in 2005.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
Fair enough. Here's hoping he was the steal of the Draft a la Canty in 2005.

Hell, I'd be grateful just see a few less last second "bombs" completed against us. :)

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Merton Hanks was only 5ft. 4 but his neck was 8 inches long.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Height certainly didn't seem to hurt Sean Taylor's stock when he was taken with a Top 5 draft pick. Watkins was an invisible man for a good portion of the season, and while he will make the occasional pick by outjumping people for a ball thrown up for grabs by a desperate, harrassed QB, he really doesn't seem to have great instincts or feel for the position.

I think he has a chance to be a very good special teams player, but the fact that many teams were looking at him to convert to WR screams to me "He's a better athlete than football player, and we really don't know what to do with him."