Pat Watkins question...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
for those knocking Watkins in run support, here's something to think about, Keith Davis is great against the run...

wileedog

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Watkins officially measured at 6'4.6". Taylor officially measured at 6'2.5". I don't think the difference in height alone is so significant that one is deemed perfectly qualified by scouts to be a top 5 pick with a double digit signing bonus and the other plummets 3-4 rounds. It had a lot to do with his play on the field.

They have very different builds however, and a perceived knock on Watkins is that he's too skinny to handle the punishment at the next level. Taylor hits like a truck.

Also, I don't think anyone is putting forth the idea that Watkins is as talented as Taylor, but only his height dropped him down 4 rounds. It might be enough to knock him down from the 3rd, where a lot of people thought he would go, to the 5th however.

I honestly didn't see him play much, so I can't really definitively say one way or the other, but just going off things I've read I think he might be a good fit for us specifically because he will be paired with Roy and be asked to do thing which are tailored to his strengths. Plus it was good value where he was picked regardless.

twa

Reaction score
Weaknesses: Despite being so tall, Watkins is still a bit thin. His tackling skills and fundamentals still leave a lot to be desired and he will probably be required to do more in coverage at the next level, rather than having him in the box at the Line of Scrimmage. With this said, Watkins technique in coverage is still overall lacking as well. He can quite often get caught out of position and lose sight of the ball in midair. His backpedal could also use work, as it's still a bit sluggish and doesn't give him ideal range of motion. He can be beat deep. What also hurts Watkins is that he never played consistently to the level he was capable of playing. While he quite frankly made the big play, he would also at times dissapear completely and at times he was actually a liability for the Florida State defense, despite being looked to as a leader. Watkins' instincts are also lacking and he must improve his film study habits in order to get a better feel for opposing offenses.

Overall: It's rare to find a safety with the physical talent and measurables that Watkins possesses. He's got a great size/speed ratio and still has the type of body that will allow him to get up to 230 pounds or so without losing much of his blistering 4.42 speed. Despite never fully reaching his potential and expectations at FSU, Watkins still produced the occasional big play and his workouts will definitely leave a positive impression with scouts and GM's around the league. Watkins is a player that still has tremendous upside and could easily turn into a Pro Bowl caliber safety with proper coaching and motivation. :D

Reminds you of: Michael Boulware, Seattle Seahawks
http://www.nfldraftalmanac.com/index.php?c=42&a=483

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Weaknesses: Despite being so tall, Watkins is still a bit thin. His tackling skills and fundamentals still leave a lot to be desired and he will probably be required to do more in coverage at the next level, rather than having him in the box at the Line of Scrimmage. With this said, Watkins technique in coverage is still overall lacking as well. He can quite often get caught out of position and lose sight of the ball in midair. His backpedal could also use work, as it's still a bit sluggish and doesn't give him ideal range of motion. He can be beat deep. What also hurts Watkins is that he never played consistently to the level he was capable of playing. While he quite frankly made the big play, he would also at times dissapear completely and at times he was actually a liability for the Florida State defense, despite being looked to as a leader. Watkins' instincts are also lacking and he must improve his film study habits in order to get a better feel for opposing offenses.

This stuff all sounds familiar.

You mean he didn't drop to the 5th round based solely on height?

twa

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
This stuff all sounds familiar.

You mean he didn't drop to the 5th round based solely on height?

What I find amusing is he gets knocked NOT for not playing well(see stats), but rather not playing up to his potential.

Among the team leaders in tackles,BUT is not pretty doing it.:eek:

Tied for most picks,but should have had more.:eek:

Did you ever think the coach playing him in the box as a senior was the main reason for the drop in production?

jay cee

Reaction score
Maxmadden said:
Merton Hanks was only 5ft. 4 but his neck was 8 inches long.
:laugh2: Thanks, Maxmadden, I really needed to wipe down my monitor anyway. The spray from laughing at your post just made it clean up a little easier.