Path to the Division crown appears

DiResta

Reaction score
The Giants are done. The Eagles lose Peters and Hicks for the season. Apparently the Commanders are in even worse shape:

http://pro32.ap.org/article/banged-Commanders-face-short-week-game-vs-cowboys

We knew the defense and oline was going to need time to gel. As long as the form shown in SF continues, the injury bug stays away, and Nugent isn't aweful, things are looking up. Even if Elliott eventually serves the suspension, we have some other capable backs. What I do not want to see is the team coming out flat fresh off a dominate performance.
and with a defense looking like swiss cheese Dallas is looking at a stretch of games that are just brutal
the game is at Washington
then they got to face the Chiefs and i dont care how other teams played them, Dallas will struggle big time with that run game and Andy Reid is great at picking on guys like Jaylon or any weakness really
thankfully things then get much easier facing Atlanta where some may believe them getting rolled by the defending sb champs makes them weak lol
of course the Eagles now weakened are easy picking as they arrive in Dallas for a low profile matchup of Wentz versus Dallas awful defense and Dak against the Eagles run stuffing high pressure defense cant wait
the Chargers and i mean Rivers will test the secondary as well as anyone he can pick you apart so that and their pass rushers are a real challenge
Commanders again
Giants again
Oakland which is a terrible matchup for Dallas
Seahawks though thankfully in Dallas
and of course another game versus Eagles

i have faith in the offense as long as they plan for Dak to move and not just stay in the pocket if they stop Zeke and cover Dez
i have very little faith in t he defense right now
somebody has to step up
like Lewis needs to get picks or something that changes the game
pretty much what they did at Levi stadium because they dont stop anything right now

also there cant be key injuries
or lose division games definitely cannot lose to Washington or Giants either really

yes its all uphill this season
theres no cushion

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The injuries to Peters and Hicks are pretty significant.

Peters, they might be able to hold together by flipping Johnson. Then if they move Johnson from RT, they may need to keep Ertz in to block more to help Vaitai on the strongside. Ertz is really emerging as a key threat this year.

Hicks? That seems much tougher. They have Joe Walker, a second year player or they can use Najee Goode or move Bradham or Kendricks, neither of which do more than create another hole.

I would not be surprised to see Roseman make a trade. Teams don't mind trading with them for whatever reason and they are a lot less gun shy about making mistakes.

links18

Reaction score
The path to the division crown was not losing winnable games to inferior opponents because of bad coaching decisions and stupid mistakes.

Sydla

Reaction score
The injuries to Peters and Hicks are pretty significant.

Peters, they might be able to hold together by flipping Johnson. Then if they move Johnson from RT, they may need to keep Ertz in to block more to help Vaitai on the strongside. Ertz is really emerging as a key threat this year.

Hicks? That seems much tougher. They have Joe Walker, a second year player or they can use Najee Goode or move Bradham or Kendricks, neither of which do more than create another hole.

I would not be surprised to see Roseman make a trade. Teams don't mind trading with them for whatever reason and they are a lot less gun shy about making mistakes.

They aren't flipping Johnson, at least not right now.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
They aren't flipping Johnson, at least not right now.

All the more reason I can see them going after Seantrel Henderson or another low tier tackle if Vaitai can't cut it.

Cordy Glenn or even Duane Brown could be had, but the Eagles are backed up against the cap.

ALBIT

Reaction score
The Giants are done. The Eagles lose Peters and Hicks for the season. Apparently the Commanders are in even worse shape:

We knew the defense and oline was going to need time to gel. As long as the form shown in SF continues, the injury bug stays away, and Nugent isn't aweful, things are looking up. Even if Elliott eventually serves the suspension, we have some other capable backs. What I do not want to see is the team coming out flat fresh off a dominate performance.

The Eagles will be fine. They are a good team and Wentz is playing extremely well. No way we beat them twice. No way. I dont think we will contend for the Division. I dont see it. I know your all excited we look great last week. Just hold the phone. We played a 0-7 team. This Redsking game is huge. Lets focus on beating the Skins ( which is not going to be easy ) We have alot of things to improve on before we start worrying about what other teams are doing. One game at a time.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The Eagles will be fine. They are a good team and Wentz is playing extremely well. No way we beat them twice. No way. I dont think we will contend for the Division. I dont see it. I know your all excited we look great last week. Just hold the phone. We played a 0-7 team. This Redsking game is huge. Lets focus on beating the Skins ( which is not going to be easy ) We have alot of things to improve on before we start worrying about what other teams are doing. One game at a time.
I wouldn't mind the Egals winning the division, then they'll see what it's like not having a favorable schedule. I doubt very highly they would of beaten GB or Atlanta. Keep in mind, their 2nd,3rd, & 4th games were against teams with a combined record of 3-8. Who have they beaten? Sorry, I'm not on the Wentz wagon. They sure didn't beat KC did they? They won 4 consecutive last year and beat the undefeated Vikings in week 5 if I'm not mistaking. The rest as they say is history. The fans always get excited and then comes that tiny needle that pops their balloon EVERY season since 1933. :laugh:

ALBIT

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind the Egals winning the division, then they'll see what it's like not having a favorable schedule. I doubt very highly they would of beaten GB or Atlanta. Keep in mind, their 2nd,3rd, & 4th games were against teams with a combined record of 3-8. Who have they beaten? Sorry, I'm not on the Wentz wagon. They sure didn't beat KC did they? They won 4 consecutive last year and beat the undefeated Vikings in week 5 if I'm not mistaking. The rest as they say is history. The fans always get excited and then comes that tiny needle that pops their balloon EVERY season since 1933. :laugh:[

Wentz is going to be a terrific QB for years to come. I dont get how you hold the teams he plays aganist him, but Dak is so good? Look at the teams he beat this year? They have a combined 4 wins. Also last year Dallas had a crazy easy schedule. Now this is not me bashing Dak at all. Im only bringing it up because thats your argument why you dont think Wentz is that good. It amazes how if a player is not a Cowboy he is not any good or overratted. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The Eagles are a better than us so far this year. Its up to the Cowboys to prove that wrong. However I dont see it. Hell we may not even be able to the Skins.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
With or without their LT and MLB, this division is the Eagles to lose.

I hope they lose it, but they still have a pretty smooth run.

calicowboy54

Reaction score

our playoffs started last week IMO... we need wins moving forward... 2 or more Losses and we are out of it, NFC is tough this year.

Preoccupied

Reaction score
And all it took was one win v an 0-6 team. People just need to settle in for the middle stretch of the season. There's a long way to go.

Post number 2 concludes the matter ......I shall depart this thread ladies and gentlemen for pastures new

canters

Reaction score
At least this week, I would run the ball to Norman’s side often and make him tackle Zeke. Do this 3 quarters and Dez may just win the game against Norman when we need him to make a play.

ALBIT

Reaction score
Wentz is going to be a terrific QB for years to come. I dont get how you hold the teams he plays aganist him, but Dak is so good? Look at the teams he beat this year? They have a combined 4 wins. Also last year Dallas had a crazy easy schedule. Now this is not me bashing Dak at all. Im only bringing it up because thats your argument why you dont think Wentz is that good. It amazes how if a player is not a Cowboy he is not any good or overratted. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The Eagles are a better than us so far this year. Its up to the Cowboys to prove that wrong. However I dont see it. Hell we may not even be able to the Skins.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score

They will sweep Washington, book it. Philly is another matter, I see a split there. Wentz v. Dak is going to be fun over the next decade.

jday

Reaction score
And all it took was one win v an 0-6 team. People just need to settle in for the middle stretch of the season. There's a long way to go.
You have my respect, Idgit, but there is more at work here than the inspiring win against an 0 & 6 team...and it has been a work in progress since the season began. The problem is fans nasty habit of conveniently ignoring certain truths in an effort to push their own personal agenda: Jason Garrett sucks, the front office botched the offseason, Dak is in a sophmore slump, Zeke wasn't worth the fourth overall pick, Dez can't run a route to save his life, Witten is old, the Cowboys defense sucks, the OL is a shell of their former self without the likes of Free and Leary...take your pick; you could make a compelling and convincing argument with all of them.

The question is, do those assertions really hold water when you consider all of the other circumstances that have assisted in this 3 & 3 record? There is truth to Parcell's sage quote "You are what your record says you are;" but that truth is not for fans...it's for the players. That is the truth he wanted his players to latch on to and commit to memory to drive their efforts in practice that week.

But in reality, it really isn't true. In many cases, your record is what circumstances allows it to be. Consider what I absolutely 100% believe to be true: If Lee and Hitchens don't get hurt and played every game to date, with Jaylon playing in the original planned reliever role, the Cowboys would be 5 & 1. Specifically, if Lee & Hitchens are playing in the games against the Rams and the Packers respectively, those two teams would not have come back in the second half like they did because they would not have been nearly as successful with their run game. Point blank. Jaylon, in those games, allowed the run to come to him as opposed to meeting them in the hole or at the corner, like Hitchens and Lee consistently do. Typical of a rookie, Jaylon simply hasn't had enough experience to react to those plays like Lee & Hitchens have proven capable of doing consistently.

The reality is we should have all collectively known that the OL was going to take time to get in sync. Despite the 49ers woeful season, the Cowboys ol exhibited a cohesion on Sunday we haven't witnessed since 2016. We will know more once the Commanders are in the rearview, but I think this past Sunday is an indication of a swing occurring right before our very eyes. 3 games later, following the Eagles, the truth of these statements will likely be common knowledge by that point. Until then, you will have to take my word for it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have my respect, Idgit, but there is more at work here than the inspiring win against an 0 & 6 team...and it has been a work in progress since the season began. The problem is fans nasty habit of conveniently ignoring certain truths in an effort to push their own personal agenda: Jason Garrett sucks, the front office botched the offseason, Dak is in a sophmore slump, Zeke wasn't worth the fourth overall pick, Dez can't run a route to save his life, Witten is old, the Cowboys defense sucks, the OL is a shell of their former self without the likes of Free and Leary...take your pick; you could make a compelling and convincing argument with all of them.

The question is, do those assertions really hold water when you consider all of the other circumstances that have assisted in this 3 & 3 record? There is truth to Parcell's sage quote "You are what your record says you are;" but that truth is not for fans...it's for the players. That is the truth he wanted his players to latch on to and commit to memory to drive their efforts in practice that week.

But in reality, it really isn't true. In many cases, your record is what circumstances allows it to be. Consider what I absolutely 100% believe to be true: If Lee and Hitchens don't get hurt and played every game to date, with Jaylon playing in the original planned reliever role, the Cowboys would be 5 & 1. Specifically, if Lee & Hitchens are playing in the games against the Rams and the Packers respectively, those two teams would not have come back in the second half like they did because they would not have been nearly as successful with their run game. Point blank. Jaylon, in those games, allowed the run to come to him as opposed to meeting them in the hole or at the corner, like Hitchens and Lee consistently do. Typical of a rookie, Jaylon simply hasn't had enough experience to react to those plays like Lee & Hitchens have proven capable of doing consistently.

The reality is we should have all collectively known that the OL was going to take time to get in sync. Despite the 49ers woeful season, the Cowboys ol exhibited a cohesion on Sunday we haven't witnessed since 2016. We will know more once the Commanders are in the rearview, but I think this past Sunday is an indication of a swing occurring right before our very eyes. 3 games later, following the Eagles, the truth of these statements will likely be common knowledge by that point. Until then, you will have to take my word for it.

I completely agree.

Things 'coming together' has been happening gradually. In fact, Dak mentioned that the offense felt it happening going into the Packer (I think) game. Saying, I'm paraphrasing 'we see it, even though you guys might not see it yet.' My comment was all it took to change the board perspective from 'we should tank the season' the prior two weeks to 'we're back, baby, how do we catch the Eagles' was the one win against an 0-6 team.

jday

Reaction score
I completely agree.

Things 'coming together' has been happening gradually. In fact, Dak mentioned that the offense felt it happening going into the Packer (I think) game. Saying, I'm paraphrasing 'we see it, even though you guys might not see it yet.' My comment was all it took to change the board perspective from 'we should tank the season' the prior two weeks to 'we're back, baby, how do we catch the Eagles' was the one win against an 0-6 team.

Some of the board, but not all...there are still those pushing their misled agenda, now using the 49ers 0 & 6 record to explain away the Cowboys (from their perspective) sudden reversal of fortunes. But like you said. This is nothing new. The Cowboys have slowly improved from one game to the next...it just hasn't shown up in the win/loss ratio like we initially expected it would coming into the season. But if they can stay relatively healthy and Zeke can avoid serving that suspension this year, I think we will start to see the win/loss ratio catch up to how good the Cowboys really are.