Patrick Peterson aces Wonderlic

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Hostile;3882921 said:
I would ignore Peterson's Wonderlic scores even if he scored in the 40's. I care about Wonderlic scores about as much as I do boogers.

Truth be told Dallas would be great with Him or Amukamara. Both are physical and both would make the defense better. Both are big physical and tackle.

I just think the wonderlic tests a players ability to focus and receive input on the fly. It might not be important enough to keep you from drafting a kid, but it does give you a measuring stick if you have 2 prospects that are equal. To say it means nothing is wrong. Because im sure if you have 2 players who are equal to the bone ur going to choose the one who scores higher.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
LatinMind;3882926 said:
Truth be told Dallas would be great with Him or Amukamara. Both are physical and both would make the defense better. Both are big physical and tackle.

I just think the wonderlic tests a players ability to focus and receive input on the fly. It might not be important enough to keep you from drafting a kid, but it does give you a measuring stick if you have 2 prospects that are equal. To say it means nothing is wrong. Because im sure if you have 2 players who are equal to the bone ur going to choose the one who scores higher.
I do not believe they are equal and I know Dallas doesn't either.

I would trade up to take Peterson. There is no other player in this draft I would do that for. I would trade up to take him before I would trade down and add picks for just about anyone else.

That is me. I am quite aware most will disagree with me. I am fine with that.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Hostile;3882947 said:
I do not believe they are equal and I know Dallas doesn't either.

I would trade up to take Peterson. There is no other player in this draft I would do that for. I would trade up to take him before I would trade down and add picks for just about anyone else.

That is me. I am quite aware most will disagree with me. I am fine with that.

Im not comparing Peterson and Prince. I was responding to you think the wonderlic means nothing. And how YOU dont think it matters.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
LatinMind;3882950 said:
Im not comparing Peterson and Prince. I was responding to you think the wonderlic means nothing. And how YOU dont think it matters.
Right, and I'm saying they aren't equal, so it won't matter.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Hostile;3882958 said:
Right, and I'm saying they aren't equal, so it won't matter.

Lol well if youre going to debate something with me atleast stick to what im debating instead of going onto something im not even saying.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
LatinMind;3882960 said:
Lol well if youre going to debate something with me atleast stick to what im debating instead of going onto something im not even saying.
Sir, yes sir. Anything else sir? May I pee sir?

:rolleyes:

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Hostile;3882963 said:
Sir, yes sir. Anything else sir? May I pee?

:rolleyes:

Well i guess if u have to.

I see you tell all these poster you flame on how they need to stick to debating topics that are at hand in your flame posts. Why dont you take ur own advice. You've turned into a real jerk lately. Guess that another infraction but ohwell. Truth is truth, i can see why people just stop debating with u. Yo;ve turned into a thread killer

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
LatinMind;3882970 said:
Well i guess if u have to.

I see you tell all these poster you flame on how they need to stick to debating topics that are at hand in your flame posts. Why dont you take ur own advice. You've turned into a real jerk lately. Guess that another infraction but ohwell. Truth is truth, i can see why people just stop debating with u. Yo;ve turned into a thread killer
I responded directly to a portion of a post you posted.

Then you tell me to stick to what you are debating. From where I sit, I was. The topic was the Wonderlic and how much emphasis is placed on it. That is what I was discussing. I said I put no stock in it whether the scores are good or bad. I won't change my mind on that. I see no reason why I should.

If that is being a jerk, then so be it.

Reaction score
:lmao: Uneducated moron. That is great. Is that the lowest score in the history of the test, out of curiosity? Thats great. LOL.

Also, Prince >>>>>>> Peterson

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Not a huge concern to me though I'd obviously prefer higher vs. lower. Good players can have low scores (Marino, Bradshaw, Nicks, etc.) and have productive careers while guys in the 40's bomb out. VY had a 6 at the QB position no less and still was drafted high. On the flip side, anything below ten does suggest literacy problems.

For a fun fact, the lowest ever was 4 by Darren Davis, RB from Iowa State. That's sad beyond words.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Avery;3883045 said:
Not a huge concern to me though I'd obviously prefer higher vs. lower. Good players can have low scores (Marino, Bradshaw, Nicks, etc.) and have productive careers while guys in the 40's bomb out. VY had a 6 at the QB position no less and still was drafted high. On the flip side, anything below ten does suggest literacy problems.

For a fun fact, the lowest ever was 4 by Darren Davis, RB from Iowa State. That's sad beyond words.

I dont think it proves literacy or illiteracy. Im sure he can read, he sounds very well spoken. I think teams look at it and use it as a tool to see how good a player can process information within set time. All apart of the mental process the player see during the game. Some players struggle with this part but make up for it with physical gifts. And some players excell because theyre just smart people but lack the physical tools to succeed.

burmafrd

Reaction score
If you are going to spend that much money (even with a rookie Cap) and make your high pic a guy then you better make sure he has as few worts as possible.

No way do I trade up for this guy. Just too many questions. Now if he drops to us OK.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Hmm. I don't know what to think about this. I feel pretty strongly about not drafting dumb players. Great athletes or not. Didn't help Q-Car, VY, or a boat load of others. (yes, even not QBs)

baj1dallas

Reaction score
tyke1doe;3882111 said:
Actually, it did hurt. There were many comments/reports about him not running the proper routes.

However, we need to understand that a test doesn't measure a person's potential, just where they are in their intelligence at a given point.

Bryant can improve beyond his first year, and so can Peterson beyond his Wonderlic test.

Teams that trap him forever in the same spot based on their Wonderlic scores will likely regret it, unless the players show an aptitude that they will be, for whatever reason, incapable of learning or improving.

The Wonderlic doesn't test your maturity. It's not a predictor of success. I bet there are plenty of billionaires who wouldn't do well on it either.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't see Peterson as a CB long term. How many 220 pound CBs do you see playing in the NFL? How many 230 pound CBs do you see? I see this young man gaining weight as his body matures and I don't see him as a CB. I see him as a Safety eventually. This, to me, is an issue. I think you need to have a certain level of intellect in order to play Safety. This is a worry IMO.

Plankton

Reaction score
LatinMind;3883055 said:
I dont think it proves literacy or illiteracy. Im sure he can read, he sounds very well spoken. I think teams look at it and use it as a tool to see how good a player can process information within set time. All apart of the mental process the player see during the game. Some players struggle with this part but make up for it with physical gifts. And some players excell because theyre just smart people but lack the physical tools to succeed.

What it proves, more than likely, is that a player who scores that low has a learning disability.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Hoofbite;3882875 said:
It's one thing to lack intelligence. It's another to lack common sense.

What makes you think the Wonderlic tests common sense? It doesn't. It's an intelligence test. It tests the ability to interpret and answer written questions. There's a simple answer for a lot of low scores - not being able to read well. And I don't particularly see why reading ability is germane to playing in the NFL.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3883304 said:
I don't see Peterson as a CB long term. How many 220 pound CBs do you see playing in the NFL? How many 230 pound CBs do you see? I see this young man gaining weight as his body matures and I don't see him as a CB. I see him as a Safety eventually. This, to me, is an issue. I think you need to have a certain level of intellect in order to play Safety. This is a worry IMO.

I think you have to be smarter to be a safety than a CB. That doesn't bode well for Peterson is that is the case.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
The way I've always thought about the wonderlic is that a high score really has little to do with if a guy is a good football player or not. However, a very low score is a red flag and is more of a predictor than a high score.

I don't think it's that big of a deal, but i do put more weight in a low score than a high score.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
i'm no big fan of Petersons. But i'm not concerned about the wonderlic. What worries me is that for a top 5 pick experts are already debating that his best position may be FS. To me thats a knock on his ability to play Cb at an elite level.

Personally, despite his off field issues, i think Jimmy Smith is the most natural cb in this draft. His off field issues will obviously see him fall but somebody in the 18-25 range may be getting a "dez" type.