Patrick Peterson aces Wonderlic

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I wouldn't overly worry about the wonderlic and Peterson but you can't dismiss it either.

Drafting a CB in the first allows Newman to move to FS. That instantly makes this a much different team.

I would however draft a CB in the second and a pass rusher in the first. That's my sense of urgency for this defense. That's assuming a move for Newman to FS.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
burmafrd;3882175 said:
Wrong. Not as important as some claim, but certainly not meaningless.

I agree. But to much of the crowd to this board, Wonderlics are mean in this situation because it involves Peterson. If it was Amukamara it would be meaningful that the guy should be red flagged

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd;3882175 said:

Depends on what one your definition of meaningless is. There is zero statistical correlation between success in the NFL and Wonderlic scores at every position except QB, and even then it's iffy at best. To me, that's meaningless.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
:laugh2: at whoever started the thread about intelligent football players.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
yea there goes the idea of playing him at safety

Cliff Harris was Math major and a phyics guy

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/columns/story?columnist=watkins_calvin&id=5184900

How hard is it to play safety?
Harris: To me, it depends on how you're made. One of the things I'm made up of is I'm very analytical. I have a math degree in college -- a physics guy -- so I understand angles and calculations, formulas. And I understand how problems are solved. That's really what a safety does: He looks at a bunch of things moving at once. It's like a crossword puzzle or maybe a type of puzzle, and you see these moving parts and this is the ultimate result. Then you attack that as quick as you can. If you're quick and fast and if you're wrong, then you can adjust.

Is that how you played it?
A: Yes, I played it as an analytical guy and as a physiological guy. I played percentages. You look at all the data that is involved and you narrow it down to what can possibly happen to those percentages, and then you can break it down to what this team did during those percentages. Then you narrow it down to that moment in the space and time when you're playing a team. Then you deal with the other side of it, and that's the mental aspect of it. That's what I enjoyed the most.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Not too worried about a dumb cornerback. You just tell him to follow the WR wherever he goes. Problem solved.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
burmafrd;3882175 said:

The Wonderlic literally provides no meaningful data for evaluating a player's potential.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3882179 said:
Depends on what one your definition of meaningless is. There is zero statistical correlation between success in the NFL and Wonderlic scores at every position except QB, and even then it's iffy at best. To me, that's meaningless.

I don't see how you can think a score this low is meaningless. The first thing that came to my mind when I saw it was, anyone who tries to convert him to safety as a rookie will be very disappointed. He just won't pick it up, you better leave him at CB.

You mentioned QB, and yeah it does mean something. Mallett scores a 26, not great but not bad. QBs are different, but you can guarantee that if he had scored low people would be all over him. Its about a balance between smarts, talent, and work ethic. Just cause the wonderlic is high doesn't mean you have the talent or work ethic to support it.

Dez is mentioned, but he still scored a 16. We are talking about a 9 here. Someone with that level who is highly motivated can still achieve by hard work though, cause IQ doesn't automatically equal success. I can't underline it enough, hard work can make up for this, so if there are any questions there where he just lives on talent alone........we have a problem.

burmafrd

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3882179 said:

Depends on how you define success, doesn't it?

burmafrd

Reaction score
masomenos;3882223 said:
The Wonderlic literally provides no meaningful data for evaluating a player's potential.

There is a reason why the test is given every year. If there was nothing to be gained from it, it would be gone.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I am not at all encouraged by this. I hope he's gone way before we ever get a chance to draft.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
I've missed RW#31's anonymous notes.

If Patrick becomes a Cowboy,... maybe Roy left some crayons behind in the locker room.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3882151 said:
I don't really care. You can have the Ryan Fitzpatricks and Kevin Curtises of the world, I'll take 53 Dez Bryants along with their "issues learning the playbook" and go win the Superbowl every year.

Well, we didn't win the Super Bow this year, so I don't really understand how this comment is even relevant.

It is possible that Bryant's low Wonderlic score could have translated in him not being astute enough to learn the entire playbook the first year. No one is saying he won't help this team in the future. We're talking about his first year, and it's clear he showed that he didn't fully comprehend all that was expected of him his rookie year.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Low Wonderlic scores ding elite NFL prospects

By Nolan Nawrocki, ProFootballWeekly.com

Mar 17, 9:01 pm EDT

Two of the NFL's brightest future stars, LSU CB Patrick Peterson and Georgia WR A.J. Green, registered among the five lowest Wonderlic scores of the 330 participants at this year’s NFL scouting combine.

Peterson was one of four prospects who recorded a dreaded single-digit score, which NFL teams often equate with getting their name right, tying with South Carolina's Chris Culliver for the lowest mark among all defensive backs as both correctly answered only nine questions on the 12-minute, 50-question test.

Green registered the lowest score of all receivers, answering 10 questions correctly.

What does it mean? The Wonderlic test is just a small piece of the evaluation process, designed to gauge the intelligence of prospects. What NFL teams value much more highly is football intelligence — how quickly a player can instinctively read, react and make plays on the field.

"Peterson plays like a low-test guy," one NFL decision maker told PFW on the condition he remain anonymous, "but [if] he's in 'cat' [man-to-man] coverage in the NFL, it's not as big of an issue as it will be for offensive guys."

"He's a press corner," another longtime evaluator said. "His strong suit is that he can run and press. He won't play for the Patriots, where he's disguising coverage after coverage, but I still think he can be a No. 1 shutdown corner."

A scout with deep knowledge of the kid said, "The more I'm around him, the more I love him even more. I love the kid, and I love the talent. But I don't like the way he plays with his back to the ball. He has an instinct issue, and I think it's tied to his mental [ability]. He can only handle so much. He's not a quick processor. It's a scary year to be drafting in the top 10 because they all have some issue."

The increasing complexity of NFL offenses creates more pressure for a receiver like Green, but teams are still split about how much of a concern his score is.

"He will get it," one evaluator said. "You're going to have to take it slow with him and let him start at one position and let him learn on the run. He's not going to be able to handle learning all three positions. If you ask him to be an X, Y and Z, you're setting him up for failure."

"A.J. won't reach his full potential …," another evaluator said. "I don't know that Julio Jones [who scored a 15, ranking in the bottom 12 among wideouts] will be much better."

A third evaluator said, "You can't cover that guy. He's so difficult to defend. Will it take him some time? It could. That's on the coaches. It's their job not to give him too much. If you overload him, you could have some problems initially, but he's a great kid. He'll work at it. And he'll get it."

more

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...low_wonderlic_scores_ding_elite_nfl_prospects

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I still dont believe the wonderlic tests that are out on the internet and what-not are the ones they actually use, its insanely easy.

I understand theres a time limit, but even if you skip the longer ones you should get to 30-35 pretty easily.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
tyke1doe;3882435 said:
Well, we didn't win the Super Bow this year, so I don't really understand how this comment is even relevant.

We don't have 53 players of Dez Bryant's caliber

dogberry

Reaction score
No Super Bowl winning QBs in the bottom 35.

Top 35 QBs include Super Bowl winners: Aaron Rodgers (39), Eli Manning (39), Tom Brady (33), Steve young (33). Other Super Bowl winners on the top 85: Troy Aikman (29), Drew Brees (28), Ben Roethlisberger (25). Insert necessary but not sufficient somewhere in the discussion.

Running back are notorious for being able to play footbal with slow twitch brains.

Maybe, cornerbacks can also play with the same slow twitch brains if their muscles twitch fast enough.

Information per bsheeern early great postings

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3882448 said:
We don't have 53 players of Dez Bryant's caliber

53 Dezs who don't know the playbook aint winning you a Super Bowl. I'll take 53 Dezs who know the playbook vs. the rookie Dez, who showed immense talent an passion but who was limited because he didn't have a complete grasp of our full offense.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
dogberry;3882469 said:
No Super Bowl winning QBs in the bottom 35.

Top 35 QBs include Super Bowl winners: Aaron Rodgers (39), Eli Manning (39), Tom Brady (33), Steve young (33). Other Super Bowl winners on the top 85: Troy Aikman (29), Drew Brees (28), Ben Roethlisberger (25). Insert necessary but not sufficient somewhere in the discussion.

Running back are notorious for being able to play footbal with slow twitch brains.

Maybe, cornerbacks can also play with the same slow twitch brains if their muscles twitch fast enough.

Information per bsheeern early great postings

Would be interesting to see how many great CBs did not score highly on this test. I'm pretty sure this will not help at Safety.

I like intelligent players. I think you win with those kinds of players over physically gifted guys.