Patrick Ramsey is almost certain to be dealt or released this offseason.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Do you really think a single game of game experience, in which they'll probably be getting blitzed out of their minds, is going to prove or disprove anything?

Yes I do.

Watch someone drive a car, ride a snowmobile or ride a Harley, play a video game or cut a lawn 50 times.

Then do it yourself, tell me, did you learn new by actually doing it yourself ? or would you learn more by watching them do it for the 51st time ?

superpunk

Reaction score
Jarv said:
Yes I do.

Watch someone drive a car, ride a snowmobile or ride a Harley, play a video game or cut a lawn 50 times.

Then do it yourself, tell me, did you learn new by actually doing it yourself ? or would you learn more by watching them do it for the 51st time ?

OK, using your analogy.....

I've watched them do this 50 times. But now, I'm supposed to go out there and do it for the first time, under the most difficult circumstances imaginable. Do you think you'll be able to make any sort of accurate assessment of my skills or ability? More likely, I'll just fall on my face, and nothing will be accomplished, because the next time the thing has to be done, the person I've been watching is just going to do it anyway.

Same thing with backups. IMO, it is a pointless excercise to put them out there in a situation that they stand a great chance of failing at. It's going to be the worst conditions imaginable, because they haven't taken starter reps during the week, and the other team is gonna tee off. It's not like Parcells had time to prepare either backup during the week this year. He had to prepare the team like they were going to be fighting to get in the playoffs.

No preparation+nothing to play for+first NFL start= Pointless disaster that proves nothing conclusively either way. Parcells knows what both QBs can do. He doesn't need to put them in a game, to satisfy our curiosity, to make a judgement on either of them.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
leotisbrown said:
Joe Gibbs is smile to you're eye laugh and chuckles then stab you in the back with fillay knife when you least to expects it out of him type of looser.

Then he smile again pat you on the heads and ask with straight face "how you done get hurt so bad? Let me call up a mule cart to get you to the hospital surgoens."

All the while he crossing his fingers behind back and just hoping you pass away afore the mule cart gets to you so he can collects that insurances moneys he secret paid for on you.

Just like he promised old Ramsey he'd be a starting for him come hell or high waters last year. Then he took him out after the first couple of plays of ther first game despite Ramsey throwing big time long bombs while Brunells only got lucky in a couple of games because of Moss and then he fells apart in playoffs when pressures got hot on him and he couldn't take it no mortes.

Gibbs is a dirty lieing guys.

I'd like the General Tso's combination with a pint of egg drop soup and an extra egg roll. :)

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
superpunk said:
OK, using your analogy.....

I've watched them do this 50 times. But now, I'm supposed to go out there and do it for the first time, under the most difficult circumstances imaginable. Do you think you'll be able to make any sort of accurate assessment of my skills or ability? More likely, I'll just fall on my face, and nothing will be accomplished, because the next time the thing has to be done, the person I've been watching is just going to do it anyway.

Same thing with backups. IMO, it is a pointless excercise to put them out there in a situation that they stand a great chance of failing at. It's going to be the worst conditions imaginable, because they haven't taken starter reps during the week, and the other team is gonna tee off. It's not like Parcells had time to prepare either backup during the week this year. He had to prepare the team like they were going to be fighting to get in the playoffs.

No preparation+nothing to play for+first NFL start= Pointless disaster that proves nothing conclusively either way. Parcells knows what both QBs can do. He doesn't need to put them in a game, to satisfy our curiosity, to make a judgement on either of them.

Well, we will just have to disagree.

I would rather have their 1st experience be in a meaningless game, rather than say, the 2nd quarter of a playoff game. Under the same circumstances (No week long prep, going in from the cold) you just described.

They should be exposed to real game situations. They are on the team as backups. If Bledsoe ever got hurt, I would rather put in someone who has been baptised by fire, rather than someone who has always just watched the "Real action" from the sidelines.

The 2nd time you drive a car or bike you are typically better than the 1st time you do it.

superpunk

Reaction score
Jarv said:
Well, we will just have to disagree.

I would rather have their 1st experience be in a meaningless game, rather than say, the 2nd quarter of a playoff game. Under the same circumstances (No week long prep, going in from the cold) you just described.

They should be exposed to real game situations. They are on the team as backups. If Bledsoe ever got hurt, I would rather put in someone who has been baptised by fire, rather than someone who has always just watched the "Real action" from the sidelines.

The 2nd time you drive a car or bike you are typically better than the 1st time you do it.

The only reason you should replace your starter, IMO, is if he's injured, or totally ineefective. Neither was the case with Bledsoe. Why put the backup in unnecessarily? 60 minutes of football isn't going to teach them THAT much, especially if they haven't prepared for it all week. The coaching staff isn't going to learn THAT much, except maybe how well he takes a hit. Trust Bill on this one. He knows what he has in these QBs, and he knows how they perform.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
superpunk said:
The only reason you should replace your starter, IMO, is if he's injured, or totally ineefective. Neither was the case with Bledsoe. Why put the backup in unnecessarily? 60 minutes of football isn't going to teach them THAT much, especially if they haven't prepared for it all week. The coaching staff isn't going to learn THAT much, except maybe how well he takes a hit. Trust Bill on this one. He knows what he has in these QBs, and he knows how they perform.

LOl...Whatever.

So I think they could use game experience (in a meaningless game) prior to HAVING to come in if the starter is injured, or totally inefective.

You feel it would not help.

Like I said, we will just have to disagree.

Anyone else have a thought on this ?

superpunk

Reaction score
Jarv said:
LOl...Whatever.

So I think they could use game experience (in a meaningless game) prior to HAVING to come in if the starter is injured, or totally inefective.

Bledsoe is going to be the starter this year. There was no way to know we would be eliminated before the game on sunday night. To throw a young QB in a situation like that, would be pointless and careless. He's not going to be the starter next year, Bledsoe has no history of consistent injuries, and he's pretty darn effective. I don't see how any good could come from throwing a young QB out there to the wolves, save to satisfy fans curiosity.

wileedog

Reaction score
Jarv said:
LOl...Whatever.

Eli has been starting for a season and a half and still looks like he largely doesn't get it.

Point being while its hard to argue that getting 25 or 30 snaps beforehand in a meaningless game wouldn't be preferrable, the difference is probably negligable in how that QB is going to perform when he is finally handed the reigns for good. Those snaps probably don't do a whole lot towards developing a guy IMO, or for evaluation purposes either.

Once you give a guy the starter job, give him a game plan, watch him execute it and adjust to other teams game planning against him, then the next level of development starts. Not a few useless snaps in a blowout.

All IMHO, I know the mileage on that varies greatly around here though.

superpunk

Reaction score
wileedog said:
Once you give a guy the starter job, give him a game plan, watch him execute it and adjust to other teams game planning against him, then the next level of development starts. Not a few useless snaps in a blowout.

That's the point, I think. You can't put a guy out there in a horrible situation, and expect him to learn, or perform to a level you can actually judge him at. Going in with little preparation for the gameplan isn't a recipe for success.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
wileedog said:
Eli has been starting for a season and a half and still looks like he largely doesn't get it.

Point being while its hard to argue that getting 25 or 30 snaps beforehand in a meaningless game wouldn't be preferrable, the difference is probably negligable in how that QB is going to perform when he is finally handed the reigns for good. Those snaps probably don't do a whole lot towards developing a guy IMO, or for evaluation purposes either.

All IMHO, I know the mileage on that varies greatly around here though.

Backups are there for a reason. If the starter gets injured or is not playing well.

Guess I'm alone here thinking that some playing time is prefered over not having at least some playing time...Oh well.