Patrik With a K Walter just explained Jerry's plan

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I would agree that this most likely is the plan for the Cowboys, however it's a bad plan. Playing hardball on Dak only hurt the team. Playing hardball on Zeke only hurt the team. Playing hardball so far this offseason has only left the team cash strapped through free agency....although I guess that only matters if the Cowboys were willing to sign a free agent to begin with. Plus how much hardball can you really play with Dak Prescott who is completely free from Jerry after this season?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Plus how much hardball can you really play with Dak Prescott who is completely free from Jerry after this season?
Zero! He's a free agent after the season. At this point, Dak will continue his career as a Cowboy IF HE WANTS to. In other words, he can lower his price and sign or raise his price and walk.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would agree that this most likely is the plan for the Cowboys, however it's a bad plan. Playing hardball on Dak only hurt the team. Playing hardball on Zeke only hurt the team. Playing hardball so far this offseason has only left the team cash strapped through free agency....although I guess that only matters if the Cowboys were willing to sign a free agent to begin with. Plus how much hardball can you really play with Dak Prescott who is completely free from Jerry after this season?
Hard to argue this.

HungryLion

Reaction score
There’s been a few threads complaining about how Jerry has no plan. Well, here it is. By the way he owned the negative Nancy who sent in the question.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-why-not-play-hardball-with-contracts

I'm tired of the Cowboys being wishy-washy in these contract negotiations. They drag their feet and then wind up paying even more in the end. Why not play hardball? CeeDee Lamb is already under contract for this season and they can use the franchise tag on him for the next two years after that. If he and his agent are going to play games or not negotiate in good faith, then he can sit out and lose money. Don't the Cowboys have to stop this ridiculous cycle?Richard Gaines/Oklahoma City, OK

Patrik
: Oh, Richard. There's a lot to unpack in your very emotional response to a very normal thing in this business, but I'll push the socks and shirts in your luggage out of the way and get right to the pants here. In case you missed it while you were typing, you literally just described them playing hardball. Dragging feet, as you labeled it, is a form of hardball. Otherwise, they'd just set the market every single time without negotiating. Isn't that what led them to two franchise tags on Dak Prescott and two franchise tags on DeMarcus Lawrence? I could go on here showing you that they're already doing what you're demanding they do, and they've been doing it for years, which creates situations like holdouts as an eventual symptom (also, have you looked around the league at holdouts or …?), and then you get irate at the symptom of the thing you demanded they do and keep doing. So, again, the Cowboys have long played hardball, so if that's what you want(ed), grab a rake and help with all of the "falling leaves" — gleefully. Otherwise, what you actually are is just upset it takes so much to get deals done in Dallas, and that means you're inherently tired of them playing hardball and would rather not have to deal with holdouts at all. Good talk.
I gotta say. Patrik Walker comes off as awfully smug towards this fan. Considering walker has been wrong many many many times.

StarLord

Reaction score
Strategy vs Tactics. Playing hardball is a universal tactic.. question what is their strategy overall. I honestly don't have a clue. Like is it to clean via contracts ending or just walk it all back? Sad that we can't really tell ... Or option C? Neither? What plan?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Patrik with a K - who is this guy? Oh yeah, he's no different than any of us here at CZ. We give opinions, same as he is doing. There's only 1 person who knows what is going on in Jerry's head and it isn't Patrik with a K.

This guy doesn't know anything more than any of us do.
I certainly don’t take everything he says as gospel, but he is a lot closer to the team than we are. I wouldn’t put him on par with what we here because he does get paid to cover the Cowboys. However, it certainly doesn’t mean he’s right.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Playing hardball only to eventually acquiesce and give the players what they went in the end and pay more then you could have if you proactively got the contract done isn’t playing hardball. It’s bluffing and counter productive

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Playing hardball only to eventually acquiesce and give the players what they went in the end and pay more then you could have if you proactively got the contract done isn’t playing hardball. It’s bluffing and counter productive
What does that have to do with the price of rice? He laid out the facts to back his case.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Oh yes, playing hardball that must be it lmao. Infact, we play so damn hard it winds up costing us more in the end. If this team had any balls they would trade those players for picks.
Exactly play real hard ball and get rid of these money grabbing contract negotiators that do nothing but come up small in playoff games.
Get rid of all of them while they are in their prime uninjured and we can get the most value in draft picks for them.

Draft young players on rookie contracts and carefully interview them and find out if a super bowl actually means anything to them these businessmen we have now have no desire to win a super bowl just maximize their bank account.
Clean house get rid of these fools and rebuild this team with players that want to win a super bowl that would be hardball

CWR

Reaction score
There’s been a few threads complaining about how Jerry has no plan. Well, here it is. By the way he owned the negative Nancy who sent in the question.

I'm tired of the Cowboys being wishy-washy in these contract negotiations. They drag their feet and then wind up paying even more in the end. Why not play hardball? CeeDee Lamb is already under contract for this season and they can use the franchise tag on him for the next two years after that. If he and his agent are going to play games or not negotiate in good faith, then he can sit out and lose money. Don't the Cowboys have to stop this ridiculous cycle?Richard Gaines/Oklahoma City, OK

Patrik
: Oh, Richard. There's a lot to unpack in your very emotional response to a very normal thing in this business, but I'll push the socks and shirts in your luggage out of the way and get right to the pants here. In case you missed it while you were typing, you literally just described them playing hardball. Dragging feet, as you labeled it, is a form of hardball. Otherwise, they'd just set the market every single time without negotiating. Isn't that what led them to two franchise tags on Dak Prescott and two franchise tags on DeMarcus Lawrence? I could go on here showing you that they're already doing what you're demanding they do, and they've been doing it for years, which creates situations like holdouts as an eventual symptom (also, have you looked around the league at holdouts or …?), and then you get irate at the symptom of the thing you demanded they do and keep doing. So, again, the Cowboys have long played hardball, so if that's what you want(ed), grab a rake and help with all of the "falling leaves" — gleefully. Otherwise, what you actually are is just upset it takes so much to get deals done in Dallas, and that means you're inherently tired of them playing hardball and would rather not have to deal with holdouts at all. Good talk.
It may be a plan, but their "hard ball" has always softened in time for them to make said player the highest paid at his given position.

Meaning, it has NOT WORKED.

If it is actually the plan to play hard ball, than do it right. Ultimately giving in each time and handing out market setting contracts is not productive.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mHp1oAH.png

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
You see what you want to see.

Yeah. Like you’re seeing a “plan” by the Cowboys front office, a front office that has won jack since the 90s.

I’m sure us dummies who can’t see this genius plan are missing out.

I wish I was like you and Patrick, who are choosing to see the “plan” that has been developed by a front office that hasn’t been to a championship game since I’ve been alive.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Patrik
After reading this, Patrick seems to be the “emotional” one. His response to a fan sounds seriously like he’s on the payroll at the Star.

Him saying the Cowboys are “playing hardball” and that “dragging your feet…is a form of hardball”…I consider both statements to be humorous. Saying JJ or SJ play hardball on any negotiation with any new “star player” contracts in the recent past is laughable IMO.

The Zeke negotiations? They folded. Remember the much lauded (by Jerry) Jaylon Smith contract? WR Roy Williams contract? The Romo second and third contracts? Dak’s big contract in 2021 when the Jones boys “dragged their feet” avoiding signing Dak, only to fold and make him (then) the highest paid QB in the NFL.

I don’t consider Mr. Patrick’s take on this particularly convincing. At least based on the past. Maybe the Jones boys have become “hard ballers”. If so, it’s a major change.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
After reading this, Patrick seems to be the “emotional” one. His response to a fan sounds seriously like he’s on the payroll at the Star.

Him saying the Cowboys are “playing hardball” and that “dragging your feet…is a form of hardball”…I consider both statements to be humorous. Saying JJ or SJ play hardball on any negotiation with any new “star player” contracts in the recent past is laughable IMO.

The Zeke negotiations? They folded. Remember the much lauded (by Jerry) Jaylon Smith contract? WR Roy Williams contract? The Romo second and third contracts? Dak’s big contract in 2021 when the Jones boys “dragged their feet” avoiding signing Dak, only to fold and make him (then) the highest paid QB in the NFL.

I don’t consider Mr. Patrick’s take on this particularly convincing. At least based on the past. Maybe the Jones boys have become “hard ballers”. If so, it’s a major change.
BH, it takes both parties to come to a contract agreement. Maybe the players' representation are the ones dragging their feet and demanding top overall pay, thus forcing JJ & SJ to drag negotiations out?

Havic

Reaction score
BH, it takes both parties to come to a contract agreement. Maybe the players' representation are the ones dragging their feet and demanding top overall pay, thus forcing JJ & SJ to drag negotiations out?
Instead of playing these games, we should be building draft capital instead. Tough decisions for who to resign and who to part ways with.