Patrik With a K Walter just explained Jerry's plan

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I believe the plan is to pay their top free agents big money, just as it has been in the past, and use the draft and cheap free agency to fill in around them, just like it has been in the past. Nothing has really changed from business as usual that I can see.
Exactly. Well said. Nothing has changed.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The overall philosophy hasn't changed, but the extreme to which they are going has changed.

2020 - $50M (2.9M AAV per contract) spent in free agency on 13 players
2021 - $37M (2.0 AAV) (11 players)
2022 - $42M (2.8 AAV) (15 players)
2023 - $47M (2.8 AAV) (13 players)
2024 - $13M (1.8 AAV) (7 players)

This is what they've always done, but that have also doubled down on their strategy for 2024.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Not saying that it shouldn't, but there's no real indication that it has. I mean, just last year, Zack Martin held out until the middle of August to get his deal reworked. I don't think the front office worries much about its front-line players missing training camp practices. They know those players are going to stay in shape and know what they are doing when they return, so them holding out provides fewer opportunities for injuries and more opportunity to get a look at younger players.

I do think some of our fans are holding out hope on the front office blowing things up by trading Lamb, not re-signing Dak, etc., but I see no reason for even the cheap signings that we've made (Kendricks, Elliott, etc.) if that's the plan. Why not just let the young guys play in that case?

gimmesix

Reaction score
The overall philosophy hasn't changed, but the extreme to which they are going has changed.

2020 - $50M (2.9M AAV per contract) spent in free agency on 13 players
2021 - $37M (2.0 AAV) (11 players)
2022 - $42M (2.8 AAV) (15 players)
2023 - $47M (2.8 AAV) (13 players)
2024 - $13M (1.8 AAV) (7 players)

This is what they've always done, but that have also doubled down on their strategy for 2024.
I think the reason for that has been actually stated by the front office. It has some major contracts to get done with Lamb, Prescott and Parsons. Each of those is going to be really expensive. Plus, you could say that McCarthy has been building his team since that time, with Quinn bringing in defenders who fit what he wanted to do. Of course, we've got a new DC this year, but transitioning to Zimmer, he may be comparatively OK with what has been assembled than Quinn was with what was here when he got here. After all, our defense has been pretty good overall the last few years.

Now, I'm not saying the coaches are happy that we did so little in free agency, but it may be a question of want vs. need at this point rather than feeling they have several major needs to fill. Of course, I'm speculating, but I do think there are plausible reasons to go to the extreme this year with the philosophy. I also think it will bite us when it comes to the playoffs, but we'll see.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Patrick Walker is the best tool there is, was, and ever will be. I don't respect him, so I'll spell his name however I like.

jujoboys

Reaction score
lol. Seems like every time the Cowboys' front office plays hard ball with a player that player's agent ends up taking them to the woodshed. Just look at the recent examples of Zeke and Dak. Zeke holds out and they throw ridiculous money his way. Then look at the Dak contract. Dallas wanted 5 or mores years and only got 4. Dallas ended up giving him top money at the time, $40 million per year. Dallas let him have a no trade clause and no tag clause. Dumb and Dumber played hardball with both players and then ended up giving them everything they wanted and probably more.

EGTuna

Reaction score
Any plan that results in your QB1 having all of the leverage as you have to either pay him the biggest contract ever or let him walk for nothing (and still eat $54m in dead money) while simultaneously having to give market meeting/setting contracts to the 2nd and 3rd highest paid positions is an AWFUL plan.

They should have extended or traded Dak before the draft. They should have extended CeeDee during the season

Jerry’s plan is always “deadlines make deals”, which is idiocy.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think the reason for that has been actually stated by the front office. It has some major contracts to get done with Lamb, Prescott and Parsons. Each of those is going to be really expensive. Plus, you could say that McCarthy has been building his team since that time, with Quinn bringing in defenders who fit what he wanted to do. Of course, we've got a new DC this year, but transitioning to Zimmer, he may be comparatively OK with what has been assembled than Quinn was with what was here when he got here. After all, our defense has been pretty good overall the last few years.

Now, I'm not saying the coaches are happy that we did so little in free agency, but it may be a question of want vs. need at this point rather than feeling they have several major needs to fill. Of course, I'm speculating, but I do think there are plausible reasons to go to the extreme this year with the philosophy. I also think it will bite us when it comes to the playoffs, but we'll see.
There could be some truth to what you're saying, however the numbers given are strictly about players who have hit free agency so the big extensions like the Dak extension in 2021 or Diggs extension last season are not included in these figures. You would think the Cowboys would have at least similar money to use towards free agents this year, especially with a growing cap. Ultimately the Cowboys are doubling down on the idea that they will pay their own guys and not seek out free agents.

The speculation on the why is the intriguing part and like you I too think it will bite us.

shabazz

Reaction score
Do you want to explain how I did that? Do you believe Patrik with a K can read Jerry's mind and knows exactly what is going on with the negotiations? He doesn't know squat. It's pure speculation, same as CZ members throw out there every day.
This post pretty much put this useless thread into obscurity

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
What does that have to do with the price of rice? He laid out the facts to back his case.
The facts? he brought up the price of the rice when it fit his point of view. He conveniently left out that the last time they “played hard ball” with dak he ended up with absolutely everything he wanted plus a no trade clause…..wow. That’s really playing hard ball.

This hardball we are playing now with Ceedee surely won’t cost us more then huh?

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
After reading this, Patrick seems to be the “emotional” one. His response to a fan sounds seriously like he’s on the payroll at the Star.

Him saying the Cowboys are “playing hardball” and that “dragging your feet…is a form of hardball”…I consider both statements to be humorous. Saying JJ or SJ play hardball on any negotiation with any new “star player” contracts in the recent past is laughable IMO.

The Zeke negotiations? They folded. Remember the much lauded (by Jerry) Jaylon Smith contract? WR Roy Williams contract? The Romo second and third contracts? Dak’s big contract in 2021 when the Jones boys “dragged their feet” avoiding signing Dak, only to fold and make him (then) the highest paid QB in the NFL.

I don’t consider Mr. Patrick’s take on this particularly convincing. At least based on the past. Maybe the Jones boys have become “hard ballers”. If so, it’s a major change.
Dragging your feet only to eventually give in to any and every demand…isn’t even playing hard ball. It’s just delaying the inevitable. Patrik is wrong and emotional here and those who don’t gobble up every pro cowboy article can see that

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Wow, Walker pissed some people off.

So Walker says that Cowboys fans are stupid and explains how you enable Jerry.

The response is essentially "I have poor reading skills" and a misinterpretation of what he says thinking he thought Jerry's plan was a good one.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Dragging your feet only to eventually give in to any and every demand…isn’t even playing hard ball. It’s just delaying the inevitable. Patrik is wrong and emotional here and those who don’t gobble up every pro cowboy article can see that
I don't think it's about playing hardball. In the past, the Joneses simply have shown no urgency to get deals done because they believe both sides are more willing to get it done when there's deadline pressure. They've said as much. When you've got months to get one done, there's a lot of needless back-and-forth because there's no hurry.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I don't think it's about playing hardball. In the past, the Joneses simply have shown no urgency to get deals done because they believe both sides are more willing to get it done when there's deadline pressure. They've said as much. When you've got months to get one done, there's a lot of needless back-and-forth because there's no hurry.
If the price continues to rise, particularly for guys like Ceedee, then I’d disagree that there’s no hurry. The longer you wait while other players at the positions set the market and raise the bar- then you are actually doing yourself a disservice

HungryLion

Reaction score
Wow, Walker pissed some people off.

So Walker says that Cowboys fans are stupid and explains how you enable Jerry.

The response is essentially "I have poor reading skills" and a misinterpretation of what he says thinking he thought Jerry's plan was a good one.
Walker’s smug attitude is what pissed me off. He was a straight sarcastic azz in his response to a fan and listener.

Which is rich considering Walker has a history of being a homer who frequently ends up being wrong.