Patrik With a K Walter just explained Jerry's plan

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Instead of playing these games, we should be building draft capital instead. Tough decisions for who to resign and who to part ways with.
After years of watching these guys play there are no mysteries left. They’ve had years to know what they have with their three highest paid stars. They paid Zack Martin in a heartbeat last year because they knew that they wanted him and paid him market value. The market sets the salaries of all NFL players. The contract amounts these NFL players get is really set by the first teams to sign a player of equal position and value. Which is another reason why waiting won’t save you a nickel…if you want them.
BH, it takes both parties to come to a contract agreement. Maybe the players' representation are the ones dragging their feet and demanding top overall pay, thus forcing JJ & SJ to drag negotiations out?
It is crystal clear what both Cedee Lamb and Dak‘s market is. Multiple people have been signed at market value. The only negotiations left are about how many years, guaranteed money, and other contract details. They are not negotiating what those guys should be paid because they waited too long and now it’s already been set by other teams.

In short, the market prices have been set. Are they going to pay them or not? That’s all that’s left…because they waited.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
I gotta say. Patrik Walker comes off as awfully smug towards this fan. Considering walker has been wrong many many many times.
Agree. Closing with “Good Talk” as if it was his mic drop in the schooling of poor Richard. Not necessary.

Can’t find much fault with his premise though. The Jones’ are playing some kind of ball, be it hard-ball or some other label viewers/listeners care to designate it. Like their plan or not, I do believe they have one.

I like NoC but have noticed his tenor hedging more frequently in the direction of, “I’m right and smart, and you’re wrong and dumb.” Guess I just appreciate his attempts at solid reporting more than his satirical banter.

RoboQB

Reaction score
The gullible ones believe everything they read.
A critical thinker comes equipped with a BS detector.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The problem in today's NFL when you play "hardball" the cost to sign players continues to increase so if they would have been more open to signing guys a year ago it would be cheaper than waiting and watching the market get reset multiple times in the process.

visionary

Reaction score
There’s been a few threads complaining about how Jerry has no plan. Well, here it is. By the way he owned the negative Nancy who sent in the question.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-why-not-play-hardball-with-contracts

I'm tired of the Cowboys being wishy-washy in these contract negotiations. They drag their feet and then wind up paying even more in the end. Why not play hardball? CeeDee Lamb is already under contract for this season and they can use the franchise tag on him for the next two years after that. If he and his agent are going to play games or not negotiate in good faith, then he can sit out and lose money. Don't the Cowboys have to stop this ridiculous cycle?Richard Gaines/Oklahoma City, OK

Patrik
: Oh, Richard. There's a lot to unpack in your very emotional response to a very normal thing in this business, but I'll push the socks and shirts in your luggage out of the way and get right to the pants here. In case you missed it while you were typing, you literally just described them playing hardball. Dragging feet, as you labeled it, is a form of hardball. Otherwise, they'd just set the market every single time without negotiating. Isn't that what led them to two franchise tags on Dak Prescott and two franchise tags on DeMarcus Lawrence? I could go on here showing you that they're already doing what you're demanding they do, and they've been doing it for years, which creates situations like holdouts as an eventual symptom (also, have you looked around the league at holdouts or …?), and then you get irate at the symptom of the thing you demanded they do and keep doing. So, again, the Cowboys have long played hardball, so if that's what you want(ed), grab a rake and help with all of the "falling leaves" — gleefully. Otherwise, what you actually are is just upset it takes so much to get deals done in Dallas, and that means you're inherently tired of them playing hardball and would rather not have to deal with holdouts at all. Good talk.
Such an idiotic response, i expect this from Dallas media

You play hardball or bluff someone only and only if you are willing to walk away, not if everyone knows you are going to fold. That is the real issue with the Jones boys. Im not ‘tired of them playing hardball’, im tired of them folding

Walk away from Dak
Trade Parsons

Its not complicated

phildadon86

Reaction score
There’s been a few threads complaining about how Jerry has no plan. Well, here it is. By the way he owned the negative Nancy who sent in the question.

I'm tired of the Cowboys being wishy-washy in these contract negotiations. They drag their feet and then wind up paying even more in the end. Why not play hardball? CeeDee Lamb is already under contract for this season and they can use the franchise tag on him for the next two years after that. If he and his agent are going to play games or not negotiate in good faith, then he can sit out and lose money. Don't the Cowboys have to stop this ridiculous cycle?Richard Gaines/Oklahoma City, OK

Patrik
: Oh, Richard. There's a lot to unpack in your very emotional response to a very normal thing in this business, but I'll push the socks and shirts in your luggage out of the way and get right to the pants here. In case you missed it while you were typing, you literally just described them playing hardball. Dragging feet, as you labeled it, is a form of hardball. Otherwise, they'd just set the market every single time without negotiating. Isn't that what led them to two franchise tags on Dak Prescott and two franchise tags on DeMarcus Lawrence? I could go on here showing you that they're already doing what you're demanding they do, and they've been doing it for years, which creates situations like holdouts as an eventual symptom (also, have you looked around the league at holdouts or …?), and then you get irate at the symptom of the thing you demanded they do and keep doing. So, again, the Cowboys have long played hardball, so if that's what you want(ed), grab a rake and help with all of the "falling leaves" — gleefully. Otherwise, what you actually are is just upset it takes so much to get deals done in Dallas, and that means you're inherently tired of them playing hardball and would rather not have to deal with holdouts at all. Good talk.
So you believe that waiting out players, when other players at the position are getting paid is a good strategy?

Of course you do. This FO can do no wrong.

Dak Prescott got vastly overpaid because this FO waited for other QBs to be signed. If they had signed him when Wentz was signed. He would have been paid in the 30-35 million range.

They wait, and then end up resetting the market anyways so why not just be the first to sign and let other teams mess up?

Havic

Reaction score
Such an idiotic response, i expect this from Dallas media

You play hardball or bluff someone only and only if you are willing to walk away, not if everyone knows you are going to fold. That is the real issue with the Jones boys. Im not ‘tired of them playing hardball’, im tired of them folding

Walk away from Dak
Trade Parsons

Its not complicated

Agreed. Parsons is a no brainer to net multiple 1s and imo his value may never be higher than right now.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Its hard to play hardball for teams on NFL contracts because the market is pretty much already in place. Everyone knows regardless if its with the current team or a new team you're likely to land a contract atleast among the top 5, if not the top 2 of players at your position. I could understand if a player has unreasonable demands hardball can help bring them back to reality, but lets be real holdouts aren't a great thing for any party involved.

With Lamb this is a deal that should have already been done which probably would have been 28 million a year, now it'll be between 33 and 35 million. If you truly have a great player waiting typically costs you more money. On the contrary if you're not sure what you have I can understand waiting or trading them.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
So you believe that waiting out players, when other players at the position are getting paid is a good strategy?

Of course you do. This FO can do no wrong.

Dak Prescott got vastly overpaid because this FO waited for other QBs to be signed. If they had signed him when Wentz was signed. He would have been paid in the 30-35 million range.

They wait, and then end up resetting the market anyways so why not just be the first to sign and let other teams mess up?
Dak turned down 35/yr- 5 years and chose to 'bet on himself".

phildadon86

Reaction score
Dak turned down 35/yr- 5 years and chose to 'bet on himself".
Yes. And the year he got hurt, he was on a tear and a contract was imminent until he started throwing for 400 yards a game.

Then the ankle happened.

A renewal was imminent.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
'No K' does a great job and he is correct here, but I am not sure it explains what they are doing.

Playing hardball isn't really a holistic plan and doesn't cover the realities of the situation.
There is no hardball to be played with Dak.
Team has zero leverage.
Every day that passes makes Dak more and more valuable and more and more freely available to other teams.

CeeDee is under contract and team has some options here; same with Micah but both guys have tons of leverage in an "all-in" year as they sit away from the club awaiting to be paid at the top of their positional scale.

The Cowboys have known all 3 would have to be dealt with. What is that plan to handle it?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Patrik
Are you mistaking Patrik No "C" Walker for Patrick with a "K" Walker? Don't confuse me man, I'm confused enough already. :oldcouple:

Creeper

Reaction score
I appreciate the addition of more information on this topic, but we have to remember that this comes from two writers for Cowboys.com who probably have as little insight to what Jerry is thinking as we do.

Are the Cowboys playing hardball? How do we know since we are not privy to any conversations the Cowboys have had with CeeDee or his agent. Maybe the Cowboys are just waiting for reasons we do not know? And this is th problem, Jerry isn't saying what's on his mind.

With CeeDee, it is true they can keep him this year on his 5th year option, then franchise tag him for 2 years. Just remember, on a franchise tag, what every the tag amount is, the Cowboys have to take it all against the CAP the same year. There is no CAP relief. It is not a good option for that reason, and because it could create resentment between the player and the team.

One thing we do know, waiting as they have done appears to have increase the amount CeeDee will sign for. The same is true for Dak. Go back to when the Eagles signed Wentz for I think it was somewhere in the ball park of $26 million. The Cowboys waited and wound up paying Dak $40 million. This year, the Cowboys waited on Dak and CeeDee and Trevor Lawrence and Justin Jefferson reset the markets for QB and WR. Maybe Dallas is playing hardball, but it just seems like playing hardball, and delaying these contracts, is working against them badly.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yes. And the year he got hurt, he was on a tear and a contract was imminent until he started throwing for 400 yards a game.

Then the ankle happened.

A renewal was imminent.
When a player has the injury Dak had and you sign him long term anyway you were the goofy one to not pay him the first place. That much is crystal clear!

The Chiefs signed Pat Mahomes TWO YEARS early.
Eagles signed Hurts a year early.
Dallas had a QB on peanuts deal and forced him to play all 4 of those years and then tagged him.
They have never had a backup plan yet keep negotiating as if they do.
It is insanity.

Dak wanted a 4 year 35 AAV deal and they refused. Demanding it be for 5 years.
So they tagged him and then got the 4 year deal they wanted but with no trade, no tag stipulations and the cost went up 5M per year to 160M over 4.
Now Dallas is staring at 60M AAV and every starting QB that signs is seemingly driving that price up...

What you do with Dak is vitally important info for the decisions on CeeDee and Micah but neither of those players have any interest in quietly playing out rookie deals and eating a tag season.
They are emotional guys that will pop off at any second and it will be Dez negotiate in media nonsense part 2/3.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Patrik Walker is a sad little puppet that bends down and kisses Jerry wrinkled old behind every month for a dirty little paycheck. There is a zero percent chance that anything coming out of his mouth is a genuine and uncensored thought. Patrik needs to grow up and figure out a way to be his own man.