Patrik With a K Walter just explained Jerry's plan

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Patrik Walker is a sad little puppet that bends down and kisses Jerry wrinkled old behind every month for a dirty little paycheck. There is a zero percent chance that anything coming out of his mouth is a genuine and uncensored thought. Patrik needs to grow up and figure out a way to be his own man.
I sort of agree, but this doesn't mean that what he is saying isn't accurate though. I think it's very possible the Cowboys are being very transparent through the media with their intentions here to prepare the fans for what is currently happening, and what is about to happen in the coming month or so. It doesn't make it a good plan though. I think this just means that we need to separate what Walker and other DC.com writers are telling us as actual substance vs opinion. I think there is substance to what he said in the article, but I wont buy into the glamorization of it that he tries to pass off to the fans.

Sydla

Reaction score
Walker can be an excuse maker/spin doctor for the Cowboys.

There is a difference between playing hardball and just being stupid. Dallas is more the latter. Just refusing to sign player(s) thinking that time will force them to lower their price is idiotic in today's NFL because it largely doesn't work that way. Lamb's asking price isn't coming down the longer you wait. It's going to only go up.

Jerry and his son are just being dumb here UNLESS they are content with the reality that they are OK franchising him for a year and then likely being willing to let him walk in FA in a couple years, which is entirely possible.

They are not going to tag him twice, that's way too expense. So if they are content with the Tony Pollard model, meaning tagged for a year and then left to leave in FA, then it explains their total inaction.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I sort of agree, but this doesn't mean that what he is saying isn't accurate though. I think it's very possible the Cowboys are being very transparent through the media with their intentions here to prepare the fans for what is currently happening, and what is about to happen in the coming month or so. It doesn't make it a good plan though. I think this just means that we need to separate what Walker and other DC.com writers are telling us as actual substance vs opinion. I think there is substance to what he said in the article, but I wont buy into the glamorization of it that he tries to pass off to the fans.
Pat is correct in that the fan is calling for Dallas to play hardball but that is simply incorrect.
Playing hardball is what got them here in the first place.
It is easy to dunk on fans because they are largely too emotional and simply goofy when it come to the realities of NFL salaries and NFL CBA.
A player only needs 1 team to pay them. Long as any 1 team is willing to meet their price, they have the leverage.
Any team leverage is for a limited time only.

And like in marriage you can win the argument but lose the plot and your peace.
Dallas FO may well feel as if they "won" the first Dak contract.
They got 5 years and ~180M with the tag plus 4y deal.
But they also set up this contentious negotiation where Dak is never giving them a single cent worth of discount.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Walker can be an excuse maker/spin doctor for the Cowboys.

There is a difference between playing hardball and just being stupid. Dallas is more the latter. Just refusing to sign player(s) thinking that time will force them to lower their price is idiotic in today's NFL because it largely doesn't work that way. Lamb's asking price isn't coming down the longer you wait. It's going to only go up.

Jerry and his son are just being dumb here UNLESS they are content with the reality that they are OK franchising him for a year and then likely being willing to let him walk in FA in a couple years, which is entirely possible.

They are not going to tag him twice, that's way too expense. So if they are content with the Tony Pollard model, meaning tagged for a year and then left to leave in FA, then it explains their total inaction.
This is my biggest fear for this team. The idea that this front office may literally let one or two of their biggest trade chips walk in free agency for comp picks so that they can half way make a run for it in 2024 is criminal.

This team has it's misses, but drafts way better than league average overall. If they have players like a Lamb that they are willing to move on from I truly believe they would have a chance at a very short rebuild if they would simply cash in on the draft capitol now instead of just letting them walk.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Agree. Closing with “Good Talk” as if it was his mic drop in the schooling of poor Richard. Not necessary.

Can’t find much fault with his premise though. The Jones’ are playing some kind of ball, be it hard-ball or some other label viewers/listeners care to designate it. Like their plan or not, I do believe they have one.

I like NoC but have noticed his tenor hedging more frequently in the direction of, “I’m right and smart, and you’re wrong and dumb.” Guess I just appreciate his attempts at solid reporting more than his satirical banter.
He has been solid when he is just reporting the facts.

The opinion…. Not so much. He now firmly Carries water for the Jones’ family. And I get it. They’re his bosses. So I would too.

But if you want actual non biased analysis of
The FO performance. You don’t look
To the people who actually work for
The Cowboys.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I sort of agree, but this doesn't mean that what he is saying isn't accurate though.
True but Walker does nothing but make excuses for the players, the coaches and ownership. Last season was a nuclear level collapse and failure and I have yet to hear one single critical thought from him and his ilk. At this point if they say something you pretty much have to assume it is a smoke screen, a cover up or some sort of damage control.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Pat is correct in that the fan is calling for Dallas to play hardball but that is simply incorrect.
Playing hardball is what got them here in the first place.
It is easy to dunk on fans because they are largely too emotional and simply goofy when it come to the realities of NFL salaries and NFL CBA.
A player only needs 1 team to pay them. Long as any 1 team is willing to meet their price, they have the leverage.
Any team leverage is for a limited time only.

And like in marriage you can win the argument but lose the plot and your peace.
Dallas FO may well feel as if they "won" the first Dak contract.
They got 5 years and ~180M with the tag plus 4y deal.
But they also set up this contentious negotiation where Dak is never giving them a single cent worth of discount.
No argument there at all. It's a horrible strategy, but it seems to be the one the Cowboys are actually utilizing. Their history of success with this model is not on their side.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
True but Walker does nothing but make excuses for the players, the coaches and ownership. Last season was a nuclear level collapse and failure and I have yet to hear one single critical thought from him and his ilk. At this point if they say something you pretty much have to assume it is a smoke screen, a cover up or some sort of damage control.
Mostly agree, but it doesn't mean that there isnt some truth behind the smoke. All the evidence we are seeing suggests that the Joneses think this hardball ideology is working and is what they are positioning themselves for.

Horrible plan? Absolutely.
Is Walker a tool who will do what he is told? Absolutely.
Is this exactly the plan Jerry/Stephen are trying to execute and sell to the fans? I think there is a strong argument for that.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure if it is playing hardball or just sitting on the bench.
That has seemed to be their plan all this off season, is to do nothing. Except rely upon the draft.

But to sit back and do nothing, not getting these deals out of the way to create cap. Be involved in FA's other than their own.

Walker's answer though is very condescending. Seems like he wanted to give that answer, than to answer it straight up.
It is his opinion, just like we each have our own.

Right now, does it really matter. Their plan was to do nothing. So we wait and see what happen leading up to TC, and during, and after it.

For me, I hope they continue to do nothing and let this season play out. Then they can go whatever direction they need to, and can do in 2025.
Some will think this is a wasted season doing it that way. However, if all these contracts were already done, they will still think it is a wasted season.

kskboys

Reaction score
Patrik with a K - who is this guy? Oh yeah, he's no different than any of us here at CZ. We give opinions, same as he is doing. There's only 1 person who knows what is going on in Jerry's head and it isn't Patrik with a K.

This guy doesn't know anything more than any of us do.
Jeff Dunham's puppet Peanut?

kskboys

Reaction score
No he can’t read minds. He’s just going by the facts. Not defending Jerry so don’t go there. Just providing evidence that Jerry does have a plan even though you don’t like it.
No he's not, there are no facts or evidence provided here, just opinion.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
At this point any assurances that Jerry has some grand master plan, and that he is following it, and we should be hopeful and excited because of that, is completely asinine. Jerry needs to defend himself all of the time because he has failed. He pays talking puppets like Patrik to defend him because he has failed. Jerry is an old senile drunk who prefers young girls over his own wife. Defend away good soldiers. Defend away.

kskboys

Reaction score
At this point any assurances that Jerry has some grand master plan, and that he is following it, and we should be hopeful and excited because of that, is completely asinine. Jerry needs to defend himself all of the time because he has failed. He pays talking puppets like Patrik to defend him because he has failed. Jerry is an old senile drunk who prefers young girls over his own wife. Defend away good soldiers. Defend away.
Jerry has never had a plan and has admitted so many times.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Yes. And the year he got hurt, he was on a tear and a contract was imminent until he started throwing for 400 yards a game.

Then the ankle happened.

A renewal was imminent.
You said, "Dak Prescott got vastly overpaid because this FO waited for other QBs to be signed. If they had signed him when Wentz was signed. He would have been paid in the 30-35 million range."

My point was he turned down two offers in that 30-35 million range, so he wouldn't have been paid in that 30-35 million range as you stated. We can criticize Jerry for a whole lot of things, but this myth that he dragged his feet on trying to sign Prescott is not one of them because it never happened. Prescott dragged his feet, choosing to turn down market value contracts to play on the tag and let the market value grow as long as he could.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would have more confident in Mr. Bigglesworth formulating and executing any plan relating to player contracts than Jerry and Stephen Jones.

kskboys

Reaction score
You said, "Dak Prescott got vastly overpaid because this FO waited for other QBs to be signed. If they had signed him when Wentz was signed. He would have been paid in the 30-35 million range."

My point was he turned down two offers in that 30-35 million range, so he wouldn't have been paid in that 30-35 million range as you stated. We can criticize Jerry for a whole lot of things, but this myth that he dragged his feet on trying to sign Prescott is not one of them because it never happened. Prescott dragged his feet, choosing to turn down market value contracts to play on the tag and let the market value grow as long as he could.
Yup. Even worse, Prescott agreed to a contract, and then renegged. Showed clearly that greed is his overlying state. I lost all respect for him at that point, and then it went into the negative when he insisted on a shorter term deal that would obviously screw the team. Talk about narcissistic greed.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Dak wanted a 4 year 35 AAV deal and they refused. Demanding it be for 5 years.
So they tagged him and then got the 4 year deal they wanted but with no trade, no tag stipulations and the cost went up 5M per year to 160M over 4.
A 4 year deal with no remaining years on the original contract was unprecedented.

They offered a market value deal as soon as they legally could, after Dak's third season, which he refused, and then tried again the next season with the deal you mention.

You can argue the Jones bungled the negotiations, but the premise that they just dragged their feet is a myth. Prescott's team is the side that was doing the feet dragging. Team Dak was accepting nothing less than both top dollar AND an unprecedented short term.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Strategy vs Tactics. Playing hardball is a universal tactic.. question what is their strategy overall. I honestly don't have a clue. Like is it to clean via contracts ending or just walk it all back? Sad that we can't really tell ... Or option C? Neither? What plan?
I believe the plan is to pay their top free agents big money, just as it has been in the past, and use the draft and cheap free agency to fill in around them, just like it has been in the past. Nothing has really changed from business as usual that I can see. We may have done even less in free agency than normal, but it isn't like we've been big spenders there in the past. I guess some see letting mainstay players like Tyron and Biadasz walk as a change in strategy, but is it really any different than releasing Ware, trading Cooper, etc.?