Pauline: Derrick Henry trade: Insider notes on Cowboys' interest

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because the o-line can't hold a block. Sure, Pollard is not quite as explosive, but the o-line missing blocks is a much bigger issue than the RB himself.

Pollard or Dowdle could get a tough yard if the o-line can make a block at the point of attack.
Our OL run blocking win rate is 16th in the league per ESPN. So that’s hardly an excuse for the run game implosion we have seen so far.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
On offense, this team's identity is not going to be toughness, not with this o-line. For now, those days are over. Bringing in a big RB won't change the identity of this offense. Trying to go back to "3 yards and a cloud of dust" with this o-line is wasting the better matchups we have at other positions. For this Texas Coast Offense, it's pass first, and short passes to use as long-handoffs, getting Pollard in space. That's the best way to score points for this offense. Trying to pound the rock, even in the Red Zone, it just doesn't work well, this banged up o-line is not built for it. We have to stop trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

So, getting Henry would mostly be a waste. Sure, he could help on 3rd and 4th and short, but even then, if the line can't block better, he could get blown up in the backfield too. He's not invincible, not when the blocking isn't there, else he'd have better stats this year in Tennessee, who's also struggling to run block.

Find some o-line or LB depth, or simply stand pat.
I don’t need my identity to change. I need to add to what I have. And Henry brings much needed toughness and can have a huge impact on our playoff chances this year.

Nobody even knows what the Texas Coast is not even the Cowboys lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
or, you could look at the trade value chart and come up with the same value for maybe 4 in 2025 and a 6 in 2024. "Oh! we don't have a 4th! we could never possibly do this!"

Titans needs to go full rebuild and will be selling off assets. Henry isn't going to be re-signed. Tannehill is injured with an expiring contract. They've used a 2nd and a 3rd on qbs in the last two drafts and one looked really good last week.

Titans are sellers and they will sell low. They want to see what Levis can do and they aren't going anywhere this year. You get that rookie QB going, lose games, and then get him some help early in the first? That's just what teams do.
I think Henry is different though. I think they consider him the face. They would rather lose with him then without just my opinion.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
I don’t need my identity to change. I need to add to what I have. And Henry brings much needed toughness and can have a huge impact on our playoff chances this year.

Nobody even knows what the Texas Coast is not even the Cowboys lol.
I don't think he's worth it, unless he comes real cheap.

This offensive line is simply not built to pound the rock between the tackles. I can't imagine that the o-line is going to create consistent holes, pushing DTs back.

The Texas Coast Offense is built upon a quick-passing scheme, which are basically long handoffs...getting people in space to try to get YAC. That's the scheme that McCarthy's developed, not a running game/play action concept as the foundation. That's why Dak is in Shotgun so often, because the scheme and playbook is built around the passing game, not a running attack.

So, the Cowboys need to embrace their strengths, and with this o-line, the strength is not between-the-tackle runs, especially on 1st down when most teams are geared up to stop the run. Henry would be more effective, yes, but not a game-changer...not unless the o-line blocks better, especially in the Red Zone when they routinely get blown backward on running plays.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't think he's worth it, unless he comes real cheap.

This offensive line is simply not built to pound the rock between the tackles. I can't imagine that the o-line is going to create consistent holes, pushing DTs back.

The Texas Coast Offense is built upon a quick-passing scheme, which are basically long handoffs...getting people in space to try to get YAC. That's the scheme that McCarthy's developed, not a running game/play action concept as the foundation. That's why Dak is in Shotgun so often, because the scheme and playbook is built around the passing game, not a running attack.

So, the Cowboys need to embrace their strengths, and with this o-line, the strength is not between-the-tackle runs, especially on 1st down when most teams are geared up to stop the run. Henry would be more effective, yes, but not a game-changer...not unless the o-line blocks better, especially in the Red Zone when they routinely get blown backward on running plays.
This offense how it’s currently constructed ain’t gonna cut it. You can’t keep avoiding the lack of running game. You can’t be one dimensional.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
This offense how it’s currently constructed ain’t gonna cut it. You can’t keep avoiding the lack of running game. You can’t be one dimensional.
You don't have to be committed to running the ball, especially early in the game...but you do have to be committed to threatening to run the ball out of base formations (i.e. the use of play action). The short passing game and screen plays can have the same effect as the running game. You pass to get the lead, and then run the ball to hold the lead, later in the game.

When this team was trying to run the ball between the tackles on 1st down, and the o-line was barely opening up holes if any, this offense was stagnant during many stretches of the game, and certainly in the RZ. When this team decided to open up the offense and get every involved in the passing and play action game, they looked crisper and more efficient. There was a pep in everyone's step.

So, moving forward, McCarthy needs to play to this team's strengths on offense, and that ain't wasting 10 to 15 plays per game running it between the tackles, especially not early in the game when the offense is trying to get going and get some momentum. The Cowboys need the lead, early, and then it plays to their strengths on defense. The offense should come out with urgency from the first snap, not run, run, pass.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Just give up a 3rd. It’s worth the risk. I don’t get teams.. I get draft capital is important. But sometimes you gotta make a move to go for it.
People don’t want to draft a RB high because they only last 5-6 years.

But now we want to give up a 3rd round pick for an 8 yr veteran RB?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I’m told the Titans are receiving calls from teams interested in acquiring running back Derrick Henry and the belief at present time is the Baltimore Ravens are the leaders in the clubhouse.

Once again I was told the Dallas Cowboys remain the dark horse. Sources also tell me compensation could be the sticking point. Teams may not be willing to part with anything other than a fourth-round pick for Henry, who is on the downside of his career.

Yet the belief is Titans ownership would never approve of such a deal for a player who has meant so much to their franchise since he was drafted in 2016. One league source told me it is his opinion the Ravens should absolutely part with a day-two selection for Henry if they feel he will push them over the top.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/new...fc-contender-monitoring-titans-rb-s-situation
they could send them OBJ to sweeten the deal lol

Proof

Reaction score
I disagree.

For this offense, trying to pound teams on the ground with this offensive line, it's futile. That's setting up the offensive line to fail, the running game to be stagnant, and too many hopes of having long, penalty-free drives. The recipe for success is the Ram game plan, with tweaks depending on the opponent's defense and key matchups. I see no recipe for success on offense that includes some RB getting 25 carries mostly between the tackles. Those are wasted plays, IMO.

And I'm not giving up draft picks just to have a big RB to get first downs in short-yardage situations. I just don't think it's worth it.

Hec, instead of getting another RB, how about getting an offensive lineman to help create a hole? If there's even a sliver of a hole, I do believe Pollard or Dowdle would find it and get some tough yards. Many times when the Cowboys RB gets the handoff, there's a waiting defender right in their face because of a missed block. Expecting Henry to come in here to make something out of nothing running between the tackles, I just don't see it.

The Cowboys have more pressing needs, like offensive linemen and a LB.
how often do you see OL worth anything traded?

Proof

Reaction score
People don’t want to draft a RB high because they only last 5-6 years.

But now we want to give up a 3rd round pick for an 8 yr veteran RB?
high = 1st round (top 4). and it's not the philosophy specifically at odds, it's specific to this season, this team, and an open conference

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
He isn't going to be traded today. If there was a chance he would have had to restructure his contract yesterday which he did not. Now, few teams would be able to get him in under the cap this year

MikeT22

Reaction score
high = 1st round (top 4). and it's not the philosophy specifically at odds, it's specific to this season, this team, and an open conference
Most don’t want a RB in the 1st regardless of draft position.

Proof

Reaction score
Most don’t want a RB in the 1st regardless of draft position.
yeah the parenthesis were to add an additional point. trading a 3rd - 5th for a rental isn't quite the same as using a 1st to draft one.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just give up a 3rd. It’s worth the risk. I don’t get teams.. I get draft capital is important. But sometimes you gotta make a move to go for it.
Jerry is going to trade two 1st round picks for Joey Galloways's son...The NFL had OBJ, now they'll have JGJ...

It is always the best move to trade away picks for players because it makes fans happy for a day...

TNT

Reaction score
HUGE TRADE: Titans informed RB Derrick Henry that he is being sent to the Dallas Cowboys for a 2024 3rd round draft pick, per Sources - Ian Rapoport

FVSTONE

Reaction score
This is why both the 9ers and Eagle's GMs are worth their weight in gold to those teams.................