Pauline: Derrick Henry trade: Insider notes on Cowboys' interest

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
We don't need Henry, this is not an offense built on a running game. We don't have the o-line to run the ball primarily between the tackles. Those become wasted 1-yard gains on 1st or 2nd down, that only extend to 2 or 3 yards sometimes with Henry.

Instead, go find a run-stuffing DT or a solid LB, THAT's what this team needs. Don't waste a trade on a RB. Pollard and Dowdle are fine for what this offense needs...just need to use what they have more creatively.
Interesting point. But bro, every time you even pretend to hand it off to Henry, CeeDee running wide open is something I can dream about.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Just give up a 3rd. It’s worth the risk. I don’t get teams.. I get draft capital is important. But sometimes you gotta make a move to go for it.
Give up a third but get back a 5th. Unlikely you’d get a 4th back.

I’m willing to do a third but not straight up.

Kwyn

Reaction score
We don't need Henry, this is not an offense built on a running game. We don't have the o-line to run the ball primarily between the tackles. Those become wasted 1-yard gains on 1st or 2nd down, that only extend to 2 or 3 yards sometimes with Henry.

Instead, go find a run-stuffing DT or a solid LB, THAT's what this team needs. Don't waste a trade on a RB. Pollard and Dowdle are fine for what this offense needs...just need to use what they have more creatively.
We do need Henry. Henry would unlock Pollard which would help unlock the full complementary offense McCarthy has built his 2023 philosophy around.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just give up a 3rd. It’s worth the risk. I don’t get teams.. I get draft capital is important. But sometimes you gotta make a move to go for it.
So you want to add a 30 year old RB with that big contract to a franchise tagged RB....for a 3rd??? No way in hell I make that deal. A premium pick on day 2?

The Cowboys fate in January won't be determined by Henry being or not being a Dallas Cowboy.

Carson

Reaction score
Henry won't make it out of the backfield with the Cowboys run blocking. Go get an OL if you want a trade.
Who are they going to bench?

They love Tyron
Tyler is a first round pick
Biadasz is playing well
Martin is playing well
Steeles contract makes him a starter

Maybe a guy like Garrett Bolles. I doubt they are looking OL

Kwyn

Reaction score
So you want to add a 30 year old RB with that big contract to a franchise tagged RB....for a 3rd??? No way in hell I make that deal. A premium pick on day 2?

The Cowboys fate in January won't be determined by Henry being or not being a Dallas Cowboy.
I disagree.

Henry is exactly the type of RB we needed to come in and replace Zeke,

People thought that was Pollard, but that was a pipe dream, which I never puffed on.

Keeping Pollard at a high level requires a guy like Henry,

Portnoy1

Reaction score
I'm fine with giving up the 2nd. That's the Jerry Jones pick where we draft some guy who can't play the first 2 seasons due to injury or smoking weed
We value our 2 rd picks, see bossmanfat

Vanilla2

Reaction score
He’s not going anywhere. I bet they’re hoping for a panic first rounder

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

We have more than one need for sure but rb is one of them. We didn’t do anything in the offseason bc we assumed pollard was coming back from injury and be the same guy. Well he clearly is not the same explosive player he was before the injury. We have nobody to get the tough yards which was a glaring problem in sf and will be next week too.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
If a runner is getting 2 more yards on those inside runs he is worth multiple 1st round picks.
I disagree.

For this offense, trying to pound teams on the ground with this offensive line, it's futile. That's setting up the offensive line to fail, the running game to be stagnant, and too many hopes of having long, penalty-free drives. The recipe for success is the Ram game plan, with tweaks depending on the opponent's defense and key matchups. I see no recipe for success on offense that includes some RB getting 25 carries mostly between the tackles. Those are wasted plays, IMO.

And I'm not giving up draft picks just to have a big RB to get first downs in short-yardage situations. I just don't think it's worth it.

Hec, instead of getting another RB, how about getting an offensive lineman to help create a hole? If there's even a sliver of a hole, I do believe Pollard or Dowdle would find it and get some tough yards. Many times when the Cowboys RB gets the handoff, there's a waiting defender right in their face because of a missed block. Expecting Henry to come in here to make something out of nothing running between the tackles, I just don't see it.

The Cowboys have more pressing needs, like offensive linemen and a LB.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
We have more than one need for sure but rb is one of them. We didn’t do anything in the offseason bc we assumed pollard was coming back from injury and be the same guy. Well he clearly is not the same explosive player he was before the injury. We have nobody to get the tough yards which was a glaring problem in sf and will be next week too.
Because the o-line can't hold a block. Sure, Pollard is not quite as explosive, but the o-line missing blocks is a much bigger issue than the RB himself.

Pollard or Dowdle could get a tough yard if the o-line can make a block at the point of attack.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I disagree.

For this offense, trying to pound teams on the ground with this offensive line, it's futile. That's setting up the offensive line to fail, the running game to be stagnant, and too many hopes of having long, penalty-free drives. The recipe for success is the Ram game plan, with tweaks depending on the opponent's defense and key matchups. I see no recipe for success on offense that includes some RB getting 25 carries mostly between the tackles. Those are wasted plays, IMO.

And I'm not giving up draft picks just to have a big RB to get first downs in short-yardage situations. I just don't think it's worth it.

Hec, instead of getting another RB, how about getting an offensive lineman to help create a hole? If there's even a sliver of a hole, I do believe Pollard or Dowdle would find it and get some tough yards. Many times when the Cowboys RB gets the handoff, there's a waiting defender right in their face because of a missed block. Expecting Henry to come in here to make something out of nothing running between the tackles, I just don't see it.

The Cowboys have more pressing needs, like offensive linemen and a LB.
It offfensive linemen and linebackers aren’t available. Henry brings much need toughness and physical play.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
End of game seemed Zpollard was getting better yardage

Don’t know if Rams first line D was in then or they knew the game was over and substituted