Paxton Lynch Plays Today at 11 am

IAmLegend

Reaction score
I knew coming into today that many on this board would judge Lynch based solely on this game, and that's unfair. If he played great, they'd be in love and want to draft him yesterday. If he struggled, people would say he's overrated due to his size and going to be a bust. I've been watching him for the better half of the season, and he's much better than he's shown today.

He's obviously not played very well thus far, but it should also be noted that he has little-to-no talent around him, as shown by the 5 dropped passes already and his WR's inability to create separation in the secondary. The right side of his O-Line is getting beat consistently by Auburn's DL, but they're combating that with a lot of the typical quick screens underneath. With that said, he's also missed 2 or 3 throws today where the ball wasn't quite where it needed to be for his receiver. His footwork has also not been great on his 5-step drop backs, but not terrible either.

I've been saying I want Goff in Dallas for about three months now, and that's not going to waiver, but Lynch is a better prospect than this game is revealing. It's likely not going to be a great game for him given the things I just stated. As someone stated above, without Lynch, Memphis would be lucky to be a 4-win squad. They just aren't a very talented football team.

Last edited:

kevm3

Reaction score
lynch looks like a big weeden right now. dink and dunk and his guys get a lot of yardage after the catch. questionable accuracy and a long windup. maybe i'm missing something with him.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I knew coming into today that many on this board would judge Lynch based solely on this game, and that's unfair. If he played great, they'd be in love and want to draft him yesterday. If he struggled, people would say he's overrated due to his size and going to be a bust. I've been watching him for the better half of the season, and he's much better than he's shown today.

He's obviously not played his best thus far, but it should also be noted that he has little-to-no talent around him, as shown by the 4 dropped passes already and his WR's inability to create separation in the secondary. The right side of his O-Line is getting beat consistently by Auburn's DL, but they're combating that with a lot of the typical quick screens.

I've been saying I want Goff in Dallas for anout three months now, and I still do, but Lynch is a better prospect than this game is revealing. It's likely not going to be a great game for him given the things I just stated.

I don't think he's played bad at all.

The INT in the endzone was a little off, not horrendous. The WR didn't make a play on the ball. I've counted 6 drops already along with a badly missed PI call on Auburn that...if the WR can catch it (and that's a big if with their WR's)...it's a TD.

There's a reason why they throw a lot of WR screens:

1) He's very good at throwing them.

2) They're not really WR's screens as he's throwing them across the field which is hard to stop because of the open space.

3) Can't trust his WR's to get open deep

4) Can't trust his O-Line to protect.

I wouldn't have a problem with Goff being the next QB here. I think the kid can play. But Lynch is the better QB. If Goff were on this team, they would not win 9 games.

YR

chuch

Reaction score
For all you guys interested in watching Lynch specifically, go to draftbreakdown.com. They'll likely have all of his plays from this game. You'll have to be quick to keep up with the situational context of each play though.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Not a great day for him, but it's foolish to judge anyone on one game. Neither him nor Goff are day 1 starters anyway; more than likely, they're sitting two years before being handed the keys.

tm1119

Reaction score
Anybody watching thins game and calling him a dink dunk guy must not watch much college football....I don't care for it but a large percentage of college offenses run a similar variation of this read option dink and dunk. Mariota went #1 overall last year running basically the same system.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He has literally has no talent around him. Nine wins was a miracle. Fuente is getting while the getting is good because once Lynch leaves its back to 4 or 5 wins.

Not questioning he is a very good college qb but projecting that to the nfl is just a guess because of the offense they play imo.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
If only Lynch got to play Air Force and had something other than actual trash on offense.

ghst187

Reaction score
Not a great day for him, but it's foolish to judge anyone on one game. Neither him nor Goff are day 1 starters anyway; more than likely, they're sitting two years before being handed the keys.

I remember Aaron Rodgers getting trashed in his bowl game against a Texas team, Tech maybe. He just looked pretty bad, he turned out ok.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I'd still maintain that it's a hard sell with your team to draft a QB in the top five knowing that the fanbase may not seem him for 2-3 years. Ideally, if you can get someone in the Wentz in the second, I think most people would rather see this scenario.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Lynch is like this year's Winston where everyone goes OMG STATS and thinks Goff/Mariota is a better prospect.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Is this the first game of Lynch you've watched? Its the 3rd for me. Has all the tools but looks like he has a long way to go. Again- the offense calls for all of those screens thats not his fault, just makes it very tough to say oh yeah he could run an nfl offense because it looks nothing like one.