Pay Claiborne

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
I've been on the fence, but it's time to pay Claiborne now, before he gets even more on the open market. It took him a while, but he's arrived. He's playing with a confidence that he's lacked since college - and now that he has it, he's hands down a #1 CB in this league.

His situation is much like that of Janoris Jenkins. The Giants took a risk, as Jenkins had a shaky start to his career before it came together for him. But even after his big payday, he's taken his game to another level.

Letting Claiborne walk can't be an option. The hole it would leave in the defense would be huge. We'd have to pay top dollar or invest another top pick and wait for the kid to develop. Either way, it's a step back.

We have a 26 YO #1 CB, folks. We haven't had that since Terrence Newman, despite pouring a massive amount of resources into the hunt. We can't let him walk.

lkelly

Reaction score
I'd certainly make some contact with his agent. I'm sure his representation would love for him to hit the open market again to maximize value. There's also the chance he gets hurt in the last 11 games (especially in his case) so there could be a little push from his side to get something done now too.

Certainly is playing much better. Between him and Leary we could have some pricey free agents at year's end.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I can't imagine any team would feel good about giving Claiborne a ton of money including the Cowboys.

I hope he shows us some loyalty and we get him signed up for 3 or 4 years for around 26-28 Mill.

The corner market is ridiculous though.

visionary

Reaction score
I'd certainly make some contact with his agent. I'm sure his representation would love for him to hit the open market again to maximize value. There's also the chance he gets hurt in the last 11 games (especially in his case) so there could be a little push from his side to get something done now too.

Certainly is playing much better. Between him and Leary we could have some pricey free agents at year's end.

I'll pay Leary but not Mo

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
NO

NO

Did I say NO?

We have seen this movie MANY MANY times before

You don't pay players who underperform under contract and then SUDDENLY become healthy and gave career years in their contract year

His contract year was last year haha.

We re-signed him to a 1 year deal and he looks like the guy we drafted.

He also had a full training camp for the first time in his career.

lkelly

Reaction score
NO

You don't pay players who underperform under contract and then SUDDENLY become healthy and gave career years in their contract year

Last year was a contract year for him too. Did you see the big jump in productivity then? Perhaps it was moving to the other side of the field and having a healthy offseason.

John813

Reaction score
I was thinking about this.

What's he worth though.
Sean Smith got a 4 year 38.5 mil contract with 15 G. Older, but a better track record.

Lane, also 26 got a 4 year 23mil contract, but I know nada about him.

Jenkins and Norman got big deals, but Claiborne ain't on their level. At least not to Josh Norman.

visionary

Reaction score
His contract year was last year haha.

We re-signed him to a 1 year deal and he looks like the guy we drafted.

He also had a full training camp for the first time in his career.

So this is not a contract year for him? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So this is not a contract year for him? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm just saying that contract years don't seem to be the reason he is playing any better based on his previous contract year.

I don't see the correlation.

We have switched him to the other side, he's healthy, and had a full TC.. Those are things that are different from the past that we haven't seen. We've seen him in contract years and it made no difference in performance.

lkelly

Reaction score
I'll pay Leary but not Mo

Depends on the price of course. Leary would make little sense in light of Martin's upcoming contract especially when they can control Collins for 2 more years at a cheap price. Leary had the match lit to completely burn the bridge in training camp this year. He'll leave and there will be no hometown discount worth even making it a conversation.

visionary

Reaction score
Last year was a contract year for him too. Did you see the big jump in productivity then? Perhaps it was moving to the other side of the field and having a healthy offseason.

Let him play out the season and reassess

At this point he is fools gold

I will put my money and draft picks in the front 7 not in an overrated and over priced CB

lkelly

Reaction score

I will put my money and draft picks in the front 7 not in an overrated and over priced CB

For this season he's making $2.6 million which one might argue is a top bargain at the position. He cost quite a bit in draft capital and had a pricey rookie deal, but this season is quite the opposite. He was a cheap one year free agent that is holding his own despite an extremely mediocre front 7.

I will agree that the team needs to put major resources into their pass rush.

robjay04

Reaction score
NO

NO

Did I say NO?

We have seen this movie MANY MANY times before

Last year was his contract year as well.

Maybe he is just healthy and GETS IT. It's not like talent has ever been a question with him.

CWR

Reaction score
People saying hes only playing well because its a contract year are not paying attention. So ridiculous, why didnt he do this good last year?
Sure his play had improved but not to this extent. Maybe just maybe being healthy and learning how to study film and become a student of the game has helped him?????

These same people were baby crying when we resigned him to this contract. Now hes actually living up to expectations and they dont want him. Lol, ok.

lkelly

Reaction score

Also, all contracts are gambles. If you could sign Mo for 70% of the price now vs. 120% of the price in free agency (where teams like the Jags and Browns with cap room would overpay), then you think about it. Almost universally the full priced deals fail to pan out. The Dez contract has sucked up a ton of dollars and given almost nothing in return. A cheaper, earlier Beasley deal seems to look like a good value now. T. Crawford's deal has been a dud. Tyron Smith's is a great one. I'd rather they gamble with signing a guy early and fail than do a Chip Kelly three swing strikeout like the Murray contract.

Certainly the key to long term success is hitting base hits with your draft picks. Clobbering an outside the park grand slam with Dak is something you put on the front of your media guide.

CashMan

Reaction score
People saying hes only playing well because its a contract year are not paying attention. So ridiculous, why didnt he do this good last year?
Sure his play had improved but not to this extent. Maybe just maybe being healthy and learning how to study film and become a student of the game has helped him?????

These same people were baby crying when we resigned him to this contract. Now hes actually living up to expectations and they dont want him. Lol, ok.
Perhaps, this off season was a wake up call, that no one wanted him?