Pay Claiborne

reddyuta

Reaction score
I wouldnt pay him,use that money on the huge Zack martin contract coming up and maybe try to keep Leary because this team is all about the Oline.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Mo has had far better than 5 good games. That's why the Cowboys brought him back. The Cowboys have always thought more highly of Mo than fans have. Brandon Carr as well.

Actually they invested a #6 overall draft pick for him and haven't been forced to make a decision on whether to pay him more than peanuts. That is the ONLY reason why he's still here.

LittleD

Reaction score
Mo loves the Cowboys and he stayed to make a big bet on himself. He knows if he continues
to play well and makes a Pro-Bowl, he will be one of the top FA in next year's lottery. This
will be his last best chance to set up his retirement fund for himself and his family and there
will be several teams willing to break the piggy bank for him if he keeps playing at this level.
His problem has always been his injuries and his confidence problem because of them. I love
his play and hope he gives the team a chance to match but, mostly likely he will move on for the
quan.

Reactions: CWR

kevm3

Reaction score
Sometimes you have to take a risk. Look at what Byron Maxwell got. If you can get Claiborne significantly under market price by giving him a contract now, I'd go for it.

LittleD

Reaction score
Sometimes you have to take a risk. Look at what Byron Maxwell got. If you can get Claiborne significantly under market price by giving him a contract now, I'd go for it.

They don't have the necessary cap space to do a long term deal with Mo now. They would have to shuffle Romo or
Dez money to make that happen and they're not going to do that with a player who has never stayed healthy.

visionary

Reaction score
Once again....this was not his contract year. LAST YEAR was. He was hurt last year and he's been hurt every year he's been in the league. The emergence of Mo isn't because of a "contract year". Its because he's healthy. Now if you don't want to pay him because he's never been healthy........that's a fair argument. I'd take the risk. Mo goes to free agency.....he's going to be the best corner there.

No amount of excuse making will change the fact that this is the last year of his current contract
So this is a "contract year"

If you have a different definition please enlighten us

You like overpaid underachievers, I get that

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Actually they invested a #6 overall draft pick for him and haven't been forced to make a decision on whether to pay him more than peanuts. That is the ONLY reason why he's still here.

What does that have to do with anything? They invested money in Hardy and let him go. They invested high draft picks on Newman and Ware and let them go. Not sure how that explains why he's here?

waldoputty

Reaction score
I've been on the fence, but it's time to pay Claiborne now, before he gets even more on the open market. It took him a while, but he's arrived. He's playing with a confidence that he's lacked since college - and now that he has it, he's hands down a #1 CB in this league.

His situation is much like that of Janoris Jenkins. The Giants took a risk, as Jenkins had a shaky start to his career before it came together for him. But even after his big payday, he's taken his game to another level.

Letting Claiborne walk can't be an option. The hole it would leave in the defense would be huge. We'd have to pay top dollar or invest another top pick and wait for the kid to develop. Either way, it's a step back.

We have a 26 YO #1 CB, folks. We haven't had that since Terrence Newman, despite pouring a massive amount of resources into the hunt. We can't let him walk.

We have only so much salary cap and so many draft choices.
It looks like we draft late this year (knock on wood).
It is easier to draft a CB late in 1st round than a DE.
So I rather we spend the $ to sign a DE than CB.
Use the 1st round pick on a CB.
More pressure > CB

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No amount of excuse making will change the fact that this is the last year of his current contract
So this is a "contract year"

If you have a different definition please enlighten us

You like overpaid underachievers, I get that

So what was last year? A fake contract year? This league is full of overpaid underachievers......you want to make struggling defense weaker. Good luck with that.

Verdict

Reaction score
Mo is finally playing up to his draft status and people want to let him walk? I would try to structure a deal for Mo that was similar to Sean Lee's deal. Good money, but performance based.

Carr is likely gone after this year. Having Briwn helps but Scandrick has been injured. If you don't keep Mo are you going to ***** if they take a corner with the first rounder in the next draft? We are going to need a corner, and I personally would like to avoid being held hostage in the draft.

We have seen what drafting BPA gets you, as evidenced by the last draft class.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We have only so much salary cap and so many draft choices.
It looks like we draft late this year (knock on wood).
It is easier to draft a CB late in 1st round than a DE.
So I rather we spend the $ to sign a DE than CB.
Use the 1st round pick on a CB.
More pressure > CB
To sign what DE? You think a team is going to let s good pass rusher go to free agency? You want to spend 70 million on a Olivier Vernon? He's about to get Jerry Reese fired.

windjc

Reaction score
NO

NO

Did I say NO?

We have seen this movie MANY MANY times before

You don't pay players who underperform under contract and then SUDDENLY become healthy and gave career years in their contract year
We let Newman go and he is still playing strong 10 years later. You have to sign talent.

CashMan

Reaction score
Except he played well last year. When has Mo ever been labled lazy or having a poor work ethic. Hes had THREE major problems.

1. Injuries
2. Hes not very smart
3. Hes a not a zone cb!

So he becomes healthy, get a full offseason, admits to finally understanding how to study game film (last year) and we use him correctly. Its like magic, hes finally the player we drafted.
I think this is his 1st, yes 1ST training camp that he participated in. If I were looking for a long term multi million dollar contract, I would say the same. Need more than 1yr to pay him. Spend the money on the O-line and draft another CB.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
We already have 1 player that took the money and ran with it. Hasn't shown up to play ever since. Let's just wait too see how this plays out. I am all for signing Mo but not now.

waldoputty

Reaction score
To sign what DE? You think a team is going to let s good pass rusher go to free agency? You want to spend 70 million on a Olivier Vernon? He's about to get Jerry Reese fired.

For one, I would release Crawford and sign Wilkerson to play LDE.
I think Pats DE is pretty good also.

Last edited:

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
NO

NO

Did I say NO?

We have seen this movie MANY MANY times before

You don't pay players who underperform under contract and then SUDDENLY become healthy and gave career years in their contract year
Last year was a contract year for Mo as well.

And while his pay improved we weren't ready to commit big dollars.

I'm not saying you sign him to a Revis type conract but at some point you need to lock up players for cost certainty.

People like you want a player to prove their worth. And when they do you don't want to pay them because you think they focused on....proving their worth. It's quite twisted logic.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
I wouldnt pay him,use that money on the huge Zack martin contract coming up and maybe try to keep Leary because this team is all about the Oline.

We can't invest big money into all 5 OL spots, never mind 6. Sadly Leary has to go. Collins started slows this year, but he's a solid player with massive upside and he's locked up for another year. We also have to address the RT spot after next year. Might need money to do that, if we can't count on Green to stay healthy. Also, losing Leary will likely get us a comp pick.

Martin will get his money, but that won't keep us from signing Claiborne.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Why? Because he has performed in the first 5 games this season and looks to be maybe his first season of 5 that he looks good? Meh. That is where we got into trouble in the past. Giving undeserved contracts. And don't ever diminish the value a contract year has on a player and their mindset.