Pay Claiborne

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I've been on the fence, but it's time to pay Claiborne now, before he gets even more on the open market. It took him a while, but he's arrived. He's playing with a confidence that he's lacked since college - and now that he has it, he's hands down a #1 CB in this league.

His situation is much like that of Janoris Jenkins. The Giants took a risk, as Jenkins had a shaky start to his career before it came together for him. But even after his big payday, he's taken his game to another level.

Letting Claiborne walk can't be an option. The hole it would leave in the defense would be huge. We'd have to pay top dollar or invest another top pick and wait for the kid to develop. Either way, it's a step back.

We have a 26 YO #1 CB, folks. We haven't had that since Terrence Newman, despite pouring a massive amount of resources into the hunt. We can't let him walk.

Yep absolutely.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I've been on the fence, but it's time to pay Claiborne now, before he gets even more on the open market. It took him a while, but he's arrived. He's playing with a confidence that he's lacked since college - and now that he has it, he's hands down a #1 CB in this league.

His situation is much like that of Janoris Jenkins. The Giants took a risk, as Jenkins had a shaky start to his career before it came together for him. But even after his big payday, he's taken his game to another level.

Letting Claiborne walk can't be an option. The hole it would leave in the defense would be huge. We'd have to pay top dollar or invest another top pick and wait for the kid to develop. Either way, it's a step back.

We have a 26 YO #1 CB, folks. We haven't had that since Terrence Newman, despite pouring a massive amount of resources into the hunt. We can't let him walk.

I'm inclined to wait because of his injury history. If we want to open negotiations after Week 14, I'd be OK with that, but I'd like to see him get through most of the season healthy before investing in him. The only season he hasn't missed at least five games is his first one.

Sydla

Reaction score
You know as well as I do that throwing out names at this time is a fools errand

Let's wait until the end of the season to see what our needs really are

If Clai truly is the elite player many of you seem to think he is then he would be an idiot to take less money now anyway

You guys are just upset that I'm bringing up the fact that this guy had way way way underperformed his contract for the last 5 years

There have been several reports about his lack of intelligence, his poor work ethic, his difficulty with the zone scheme and on and on

And now suddenly we should pay him too dollar after he has a void stretch of 5 games? Be my guest but don't expect me to agree

You just said you would rather spend the money on beefing up the DL. I am only going along with your logic.

The FA market for DL doesn't look strong this offseason. So if the plan is to plow money into the DL, you are going to be picking from a pretty blah pool.

Has anyone suggested paying him top dollar? I think what most people are saying is make a reason offer in the next couple of weeks if he continues to play well and try to head off having to pay him elite CB money in the offseason.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm inclined to wait because of his injury history. If we want to open negotiations after Week 14, I'd be OK with that, but I'd like to see him get through most of the season healthy before investing in him. The only season he hasn't missed at least five games is his first one.

By Week 14, if he's still playing at a high level, he's going to not sign a deal with the Cowboys. He's going to wait until free agency at that point. With each great game he has, the price tag goes up.

I am not suggesting your drop the pants now and overpay him right now. But I don't think it would be foolish to maybe float a fairly team friendly deal by him and see if he bites.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
By Week 14, if he's still playing at a high level, he's going to not sign a deal with the Cowboys. He's going to wait until free agency at that point. With each great game he has, the price tag goes up.

I am not suggesting your drop the pants now and overpay him right now. But I don't think it would be foolish to maybe float a fairly team friendly deal by him and see if he bites.

He's starting and playing at a high level, so I really don't see the incentive for him to ask for less now than he would receive later. It's in the best interest of the team to wait and see if he can stay healthy then start seeing what it will take for him to remain in Dallas.

If he's hurt in a couple of weeks and out for the season, then we're all going to be extremely happy that the team did not commit big money to him for four more years.

Just because you wait until later in the season to attempt to re-sign a player doesn't mean they will wait until free agency. We've signed players to extensions before during the playoffs.

fishspill

Reaction score
I'm sorry I just can't trust it. The money it will take to keep him is going to be too high to screw up.