Pay Claiborne

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
He continues to ball out the rest if the season then he going to get paid whether it is with Dallas or some other team. He keeps his play up then I have no problem with a new contract. IMO the light finally came on and he is seeing the field which enables him to play faster.

daveferr33

Reaction score
Glad that Mo is playing well.

But we can't pay everybody and shoring the line is more important than a corner.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Great write-up on Mo this weekend in the Morning News.

Agib Talib has a great trainer--some guy they call "Real Truth" here in the Dallas area that he's been using. The guy's real name is Ronnie Braxton. He also trains Cliff Harris.
Anyway, after a lot of convincing by Mo, he decided to take him on.

All offseason, he was up at 5 am training with this guy, often not getting home until 8 pm. Boxing, stretching, a TON of footwork stuff, strength building, etc.
Braxton says Claiborne was easy to train but especially needed footwork and strength work.

He said Mo was a Lamborghini with bad tires. Once they got that fixed, the sky is now the limit.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
NO

NO

Did I say NO?

We have seen this movie MANY MANY times before

You don't pay players who underperform under contract and then SUDDENLY become healthy and gave career years in their contract year

Once again....this was not his contract year. LAST YEAR was. He was hurt last year and he's been hurt every year he's been in the league. The emergence of Mo isn't because of a "contract year". Its because he's healthy. Now if you don't want to pay him because he's never been healthy........that's a fair argument. I'd take the risk. Mo goes to free agency.....he's going to be the best corner there.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NO

NO

Did I say NO?

You don't pay players who underperform under contract and then SUDDENLY become healthy and gave career years in their contract year

I agree here, too. Not so much because I worry about the contract year but because we don't have enough runway of him playing good football to justify the size of the extension it's going to take to keep him. We got into that boat in the past with deals for Barber and Austin. Good players who sat on the bench a lot early and then came into their own at the very ends of their rookie deals. A franchise CB deal is incredibly expensive, and if Mo keeps playing at this level and stays healthy, some team will make the mistake of giving him one. Unless he's willing to take a real sweetheart deal to stay in Dallas (very unlikely, but after all he's been through, I do think it's at least possible), you kind of have to pass.

Which stinks, because we're going to need to devote more resources to that position group that we also need desperately elsewhere on this defense. At least Brown stepping up early helps make that easier to swallow.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It all depends on the off season and the draft.

If they don't bring someone in to replace him...then what.

Brown continues to look good but he is a rookie.
Mo is playing better than Carr
OScan has been injured

Better get some more help at CB in the offseason or the draft or you will paint yourself into a corner (pun intended) where you have to bring him back because there is no other viable options.

And if he is an option...I hope they put something in his contract that deals with lesser pay if injuries pop up.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Also, all contracts are gambles. If you could sign Mo for 70% of the price now vs. 120% of the price in free agency (where teams like the Jags and Browns with cap room would overpay), then you think about it. Almost universally the full priced deals fail to pan out. The Dez contract has sucked up a ton of dollars and given almost nothing in return. A cheaper, earlier Beasley deal seems to look like a good value now. T. Crawford's deal has been a dud. Tyron Smith's is a great one. I'd rather they gamble with signing a guy early and fail than do a Chip Kelly three swing strikeout like the Murray contract.

Certainly the key to long term success is hitting base hits with your draft picks. Clobbering an outside the park grand slam with Dak is something you put on the front of your media guide.

Dez Bryant's contract SO FAR looks like one of the worst deals in Cowboy history.

lostar2009

Reaction score
I can't imagine any team would feel good about giving Claiborne a ton of money including the Cowboys.

I hope he shows us some loyalty and we get him signed up for 3 or 4 years for around 26-28 Mill.

The corner market is ridiculous though.

Yeah MO is gone this year. The market is too good for corners. We might be able to keep Carr at a workable deal but that's about it besides drafting another new guy.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Great write-up on Mo this weekend in the Morning News.

Agib Talib has a great trainer--some guy the call "Real Truth" here in the Dallas area that he's been using. The guys real name is Ronnie Braxton. He also trains Cliff harris.
Anyway, after a lot of convincing by Mo, he decided to take him on.

All offseason, he was up at 5 am training with this guy, often not getting home until 8 pm. Boxing, stretching, a TON of footwork stuff, strength building, etc.
Braxton says Claiborne was easy to train but especially needed footwork and strength work.

He said Mo was a Lamborghini with bad tires. Once they got that fixed, the sky is now the limit.

Thats a great little nugget right there! That tells me a lot about Mo and his character and his desire to prove everyone wrong. I'm behind a guy like this. He's owned his mistakes and has taken the right steps to fix them.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
NO

NO

Did I say NO?

Last year was a contract year too. He took a team friendly prove-it deal and is proving it. Today, we can get another team friendly deal. It will be a lot, but a lot less than the market will give him.

We can't go into next year without a true #1. That means we pay more than we'd pay Claiborne or use a top pick and wait a year or two.

Besides, it's not our money. It's Jerry's and he's got plenty. We can always restructure and have him foot the bill with roster bonuses.

CWR

Reaction score
Perhaps, this off season was a wake up call, that no one wanted him?

Except he played well last year. When has Mo ever been labled lazy or having a poor work ethic. Hes had THREE major problems.

1. Injuries
2. Hes not very smart
3. Hes a not a zone cb!

So he becomes healthy, get a full offseason, admits to finally understanding how to study game film (last year) and we use him correctly. Its like magic, hes finally the player we drafted.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Yeah MO is gone this year. The market is too good for corners. We might be able to keep Carr at a workable deal but that's about it besides drafting another new guy.

We had a great draft this past year, we just need to keep doing it. No need to pay guys that have had a career of nonproduction and then five good games.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

This will be the first time in history that Jerry and the Cowboys let go of a player just beginning his prime because they didn't want to pay him......maybe Murray fits that description........

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We had a great draft this past year, we just need to keep doing it. No need to pay guys that have had a career of nonproduction and then five good games.

Mo has had far better than 5 good games. That's why the Cowboys brought him back. The Cowboys have always thought more highly of Mo than fans have. Brandon Carr as well.