Pay Claiborne

kevm3

Reaction score
If he's willing to accept a contract that would be much lower than market value, you get this done now... unless you want to spend another high pick on a corner and have to wait 4 or 5 years until they turn out. Corners don't really start showing what they can do until their second contract. Claiborne was a huge reason we've been winning some of these past games.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I think we have made our bed as an Offensive team........he just have to be middle of the road on D

I would prefer a young and hungry unit that flies around and make big plays but we may to settle for bend but don't break and being opportunistic

visionary

Reaction score
There is little DL help in free agency this offseason. JPP is likely the best pass rushing end in FA.

So it looks like the draft is where you are going to have to look for DE help. So I am spending my money on the secondary since there isn't much in FA for DE.

LB is a wait and see. If Smith is healthy, then you don't have to spend crazy in free agency. If he's likely a wasted pick, that changes the dynamics.

If you could sign Claiborne right now for a fair CB deal, I'd do it. Someone is going to pay him a ton this offseason.

There will be DL and LB help in the FA and in the draft
I'm not counting in smith, that was a prayer and most likely a wasted pick
I'm not paying Mo a single cent until seasons end

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Once again....this was not his contract year. LAST YEAR was. He was hurt last year and he's been hurt every year he's been in the league. The emergence of Mo isn't because of a "contract year". Its because he's healthy. Now if you don't want to pay him because he's never been healthy........that's a fair argument. I'd take the risk. Mo goes to free agency.....he's going to be the best corner there.

Never thought he would live up to his draft hype about him. But I'm now seeing that he is our best defensive back right now even better than Scandrick. We should really start talking about signing him long term. Otherwise were going to have to replace him with a high draft pick or another FA.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
The time to pay Claiborne was last offseason. His price is likely too high now. Draft a guy unless you can get Mo for a Scandrick type deal.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The time to pay Claiborne was last offseason. His price is likely too high now. Draft a guy unless you can get Mo for a Scandrick type deal.

We don't know what the Cowboys would offer. You say his price is too high? we don't know that either or what any other team may be willing to offer..

manster4ever

Reaction score
NO

NO

Did I say NO?

We have seen this movie MANY MANY times before

You don't pay players who underperform under contract and then SUDDENLY become healthy and gave career years in their contract year

Amen Bro: JRatliff, Mike Jenkins,OSCan, Marion Barber, etc.....I would tag him next season. NO reason in the world not to do that. IF he balls out again, think about signing him and if not...bye.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I could see Dallas offering him a contract similar to Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie who had signed a 5 year, $35,000,000 contract with the New York Giants. That is around top 25 money. I don't see Mo getting Revis type money or that of the top CB in the league based on 1 season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Never thought he would live up to his draft hype about him. But I'm now seeing that he is our best defensive back right now even better than Scandrick. We should really start talking about signing him long term. Otherwise were going to have to replace him with a high draft pick or another FA.

And have to pray that whoever we replace him with develops sooner than later. If they we're going to let Mo walk they should've never switched Byron to safety or should've drafted Ramsey.

DallasBlockersClub

Reaction score
I've been on the fence, but it's time to pay Claiborne now, before he gets even more on the open market. It took him a while, but he's arrived. He's playing with a confidence that he's lacked since college - and now that he has it, he's hands down a #1 CB in this league.

His situation is much like that of Janoris Jenkins. The Giants took a risk, as Jenkins had a shaky start to his career before it came together for him. But even after his big payday, he's taken his game to another level.

Letting Claiborne walk can't be an option. The hole it would leave in the defense would be huge. We'd have to pay top dollar or invest another top pick and wait for the kid to develop. Either way, it's a step back.

We have a 26 YO #1 CB, folks. We haven't had that since Terrence Newman, despite pouring a massive amount of resources into the hunt. We can't let him walk.
The way cornerbacks get paid, pass.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Amen Bro: JRatliff, Mike Jenkins,OSCan, Marion Barber, etc.....I would tag him next season. NO reason in the world not to do that. IF he balls out again, think about signing him and if not...bye.
tagging him gives more money in one year than he would get in 2-3 years on a 4-5 year deal

it is out of the equation

Dorsett33

Reaction score
I'd pay him on a 2 year deal. He's on a 1 year deal now. He took a different approach on his training. A 2 year deal is good for everyone. It keeps him hungry and it's a bargain for the Cowboys.

Reaction score
I want the Cowboys to re-sign Claiborne, but I'd wait until after the season to see if he makes it through the entire season healthy. They've put themselves in a tough spot at the CB position because Carr is old and paid too much, Scandrick is good but misses time regularly, and beyond that all we have is Claiborne finally playing up to his potential and Brown playing well for a rookie so far. If we lose Claiborne we absolutely have to sign a FA CB or draft a couple of them and hope they're good picks.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
He has played like trash for years and now he has a handful of games he has played well and we should pay him big money? Negative.

Sydla

Reaction score
There will be DL and LB help in the FA and in the draft
I'm not counting in smith, that was a prayer and most likely a wasted pick
I'm not paying Mo a single cent until seasons end

OK, who? Give me the names of top level FA DL who can make a big impact for us? The best DEs are JPP and likely Jabaal Sheard. Poe, Wilfork and Ian Williams are likely the best DTs available.

And if you wait until the end of the season, Claiborne is likely gone OR you have to likely pay more than you might get him for right now.

Sydla

Reaction score
He has played like trash for years and now he has a handful of games he has played well and we should pay him big money? Negative.

I don't think there is one person here who has suggested that we pay him "big money".

visionary

Reaction score
OK, who? Give me the names of top level FA DL who can make a big impact for us? The best DEs are JPP and likely Jabaal Sheard. Poe, Wilfork and Ian Williams are likely the best DTs available.

And if you wait until the end of the season, Claiborne is likely gone OR you have to likely pay more than you might get him for right now.

You know as well as I do that throwing out names at this time is a fools errand

Let's wait until the end of the season to see what our needs really are

If Clai truly is the elite player many of you seem to think he is then he would be an idiot to take less money now anyway

You guys are just upset that I'm bringing up the fact that this guy had way way way underperformed his contract for the last 5 years

There have been several reports about his lack of intelligence, his poor work ethic, his difficulty with the zone scheme and on and on

And now suddenly we should pay him too dollar after he has a void stretch of 5 games? Be my guest but don't expect me to agree