Pay Claiborne

Ren

Reaction score
NO

NO

Did I say NO?

We have seen this movie MANY MANY times before

You don't pay players who underperform under contract and then SUDDENLY become healthy and gave career years in their contract year
It was a contract year for him last year too

CWR

Reaction score
Im resigning Mo - at the end of the year.
If he keeps this up, and plays thru the end of the season - he will deserve to get an extention.
He decided to stay last year, when most thought he would leave. Carr is gone after this year, and we will be drafting a CB relatively high. Mo gets a reasonable deal, not breaking the bank, but paying fair market value.
If he can keep his confidence up, he will be our CB #1.

No, lets gets rid of every cb on the team and then cry that we didnt draft DL in the first next year.

visionary

Reaction score
Last year was a contract year for him also.

He wasn't a underperformer as much as he was hurt and miscast. Big difference.

This is exactly what fans like you said about Anthony spencer and miles Austin and Marion barber and on and on

Sydla

Reaction score
How about the year before that and the year before that and the year before that?

Injured, lacked confidence, etc.

For all your ranting, you haven't given a solution. If you let Claiborne walk because you are afraid his contract will bite you in the butt, then what's your plan? Carr is a free agent too.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This is exactly what fans like you said about Anthony spencer and miles Austin and Marion barber and on and on

You don't know what kind of offer he may get, Is Dallas to not offer any contract? I would agree I would not pay him as a top CB but does not mean Dallas should not make any offer. Spencer was given a franchise Tag he was not given a long term deal.

visionary

Reaction score

For all your ranting, you haven't given a solution. If you let Claiborne walk because you are afraid his contract will bite you in the butt, then what's your plan? Carr is a free agent too.

im spending by resources on defense on a great DL, LBs and safety. CB need to be decent and not great. I'm not paying top CB money to Mo and that is likely what someone will pay him

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You don't know what kind of offer he may get, Is Dallas to not offer any contract? I would agree I would not pay him as a top CB but does not mean Dallas should not make any offer. Spencer was given a franchise Tag he was not given a long term deal.

Difference is Franchise Tag for an OLB was 8m.......it will be around 14m for a CB

Sydla

Reaction score
im spending by resources on defense on a great DL, LBs and safety. CB need to be decent and not great. I'm not paying top CB money to Mo and that is likely what someone will pay him

There is little DL help in free agency this offseason. JPP is likely the best pass rushing end in FA.

So it looks like the draft is where you are going to have to look for DE help. So I am spending my money on the secondary since there isn't much in FA for DE.

LB is a wait and see. If Smith is healthy, then you don't have to spend crazy in free agency. If he's likely a wasted pick, that changes the dynamics.

If you could sign Claiborne right now for a fair CB deal, I'd do it. Someone is going to pay him a ton this offseason.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
no way I'd franchise him, and considering how much Josh Norman got, the transition tag is probably out of the question as well since it will go up.
You have to draft CBs, DEs and QBs....doesn't matter which round bu they are too expensive in FA

Chaos6980

Reaction score
if he wants to take a 2 year 7 million type deal.. sure. but this is a terrible idea.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

That is the rub. They cannot go into the draft with two starting spots open.

And no, I am not counting Scandrick, as he is a money pit at this point.

I reluctantly open the wallet for Claiborne. Mainly because this franchise is the last one you want going into a draft feeling a hankering for a corner.

Sydla

Reaction score
That is the rub. They cannot go into the draft with two starting spots open.

And no, I am not counting Scandrick, as he is a money pit at this point.

I reluctantly open the wallet for Claiborne. Mainly because this franchise is the last one you want going into a draft feeling a hankering for a corner.

My fear.................. Claiborne and Carr walk, the Cowboys approach CB like they did DE this offseason............. think Brown and Scandrick can hold down the starting spots and then they draft a 5th round CB and sign some bargain bin CBs in free agency.

This offseason has to be about adding real talent to the defense.............. not ham and egging it again.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
You have to draft CBs, DEs and QBs....doesn't matter which round bu they are too expensive in FA

Good QBs don't usually hit the market. You *can* add a CB or DE in free agency, but it really needs to be the player that puts you over the top.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
My fear.................. Claiborne and Carr walk, the Cowboys approach CB like they did DE this offseason............. think Brown and Scandrick can hold down the starting spots and then they draft a 5th round CB and sign some bargain bin CBs in free agency.

This offseason has to be about adding real talent to the defense.............. not ham and egging it again.
I have no issue with that honestly. That is how you build good defense.

Focus inside out. Not outside in.

You can't sit around adding first round pick after first round pick at CB.

Do that, you will fail.

Eventually, you get that fifth round pick that makes things easier and you work it out.

Corners are more volatile than any other position other than WR to evaluate, mainly because you are dealing with the same kind of mindset.