Payton vs Garrett

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I completely disagree.

You can win immediately with new coaches.

No Catch. That's not what would happen. It takes time to build continuity. It would not be an overnight thing. There isn't a Coach out there as good as Parcells and he could not win overnight here. Payton would not win overnight here either. I like Payton, he was my first choice as a replacement when we got rid of Parcells but it's not going to be an overnight thing. If you want to say that we should make a move now to start over, then OK. I would understand that but, I don't kid myself. It would mean that we are probably throwing away the last years of Tony's career.

Sydla

Reaction score
It is absolutely true. A new coach means a new scheme, it means a new coaching staff, it means personnel changes, it also probably means change in the management and in the scouting staff. Payton is not Garrett or Wade or any number of other coaches. Payton has skins on the wall and I do not believe that he would be a yes man coach who just goes along with whatever Jerry says. He doesn't have to. He will have options.

So it's absolutely true that a new coach can't come in and win right away?

That's what you are going with?

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
How well would Payton do with Weeden and Cassel?

Look at the product that Payton is putting on the field the past couple of years. He is better than JG but is he the best coach available?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
No Catch. That's not what would happen. It takes time to build continuity. It would not be an overnight thing. There isn't a Coach out there as good as Parcells and he could not win overnight here. Payton would not win overnight here either. I like Payton, he was my first choice as a replacement when we got rid of Campo but it's not going to be an overnight thing. If you want to say that we should make a move now to start over, then OK. I would understand that but, I don't kid myself. It would mean that we are probably throwing away the last years of Tony's career.

Ok well we'll have to disagree.

There is plenty of evidence out there that a new coaching regime can win immediately.

I don't know why you think a coach like Sean Payton would come in and struggle to win initially with this roster.

I think maybe you have gotten suckered into this whole process thing that Garrett preaches but it really doesn't exist in todays NFL. You should be able to win fairly quickly. Especially with a QB like Romo in place.

Also, Parcells got us to the playoffs in 1 year with an awful roster. IMO, this roster has plenty of tools to go to or win a Superbowl.

Sydla

Reaction score
Bruce Ariens took over a 5-11 Arizona team and went 10-6 his first year.

Chip Kelly took over a 4-12 Eagles team and went 10-6 his first year.

Sean Payton went 10-6 in his first year in New Orleans after the team went 3-13 the year before.

The idea that this would essentially have to be a "start over" if we fired Garrett and we'd have to bumble along while learning a new system is pure poppycock.

Gaede

Reaction score
What does it matter if we have to start over, anyways? We're in Garrett's fifth year and yet again reaching new lows. His process and philosophy doesn't mean jack if doesn't yield actual positive results. What sense does it make to plan for the future if your foundation is fundamentally flawed?

rynochop

Reaction score
Garrett got a 5 year 30 plus million deal? Lost the best and 2nd best players on the team, so the replacing Garrett talk is pretty meaningless for a while

Sydla

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I think the "start over" mantra is now seeping out because the Garrett defenders are slowly realizing they don't have solid footing anymore to stand on with regards to his competency. So the next argument in the battle is the "start over" angle or "the grass isn't always greener" defense.

maxdallasfan

Reaction score
I just want a coach who does the opposite of:

1st and 10 - Short pass for 3 yards.
2nd and 7 - Run for 1 yard.
3rd and 6 - Sack or incomplete pass due to all out blitz on typical 3rd down play call.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I just want a coach who does the opposite of:

1st and 10 - Short pass for 3 yards.
2nd and 7 - Run for 1 yard.
3rd and 6 - Sack or incomplete pass due to all out blitz on typical 3rd down play call.

a plan, great, i back it

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

I thought we were a SB team. A coach like Payton couldn't win with that? If we weren't one then we are starting over anyway.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Coaching changes mean starting over. Starting over means that you probably waste another two seasons of Tony's career.

Garrett isn't going anywhere people. Move on.

Mostly true, but I look at the Chicago Bears and that situation would seem to cry out that the right coach can make meaningful changes with results in short order.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
How well would Payton do with Weeden and Cassel?

Payton would have had Derek Carr as our backup and took him instead if Demarcus Lawrence. Heck he went 3 picks later. I think Carr would have won one of 7 at least.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
It is absolutely true. A new coach means a new scheme, it means a new coaching staff, it means personnel changes, it also probably means change in the management and in the scouting staff. Payton is not Garrett or Wade or any number of other coaches. Payton has skins on the wall and I do not believe that he would be a yes man coach who just goes along with whatever Jerry says. He doesn't have to. He will have options.

Harbaugh didn't take much time to get to a championship, then a SB

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Anything is possible but no, I don't see that. So yes, that's what I'm going with.

Sydla

Reaction score
Anything is possible but no, I don't see that. So yes, that's what I'm going with.

And yet it happens more often than you seem to want to admit.

If the Cowboys hired a good coach, there is no reason this team couldn't contend for the division and make a playoff run in the 2016 and to act like it's an impossibility is just bizarre Garrett support.