Payton Wilson: Cowboys MLB draft target

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
My hype is more about watching him in college.

He is what people think Parsons is as a linebacker.

He actually has instincts for the position and his acceleration is incredible.
I agree the upside is there. It's just we haven't seen him in a regular season game. Dallas still needs to bring in LBers and not rely on him to fix the problem.

He could be great or be a bust. A rookie that got hurt in preseason has a ton of risk and unknowns. Will he even be the same?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I’m a believer in Overshown’s upside but we should not be holding our breath or a position for anyone on our front seven.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I listened to that show last night too. Interesting though didn't get the sense that it was an automatic big red flag for him.

They also talked about possible medicals for a few players Jonathan Brooks the RB and Zinter the C specifically
Just don't want another linebacker who is constantly injured. We have seen this with Lve, Jaylon and Lee.

Gambit

Reaction score
Just don't want another linebacker who is constantly injured. We have seen this with Lve, Jaylon and Lee.
I get it trust me. Double digit surgeries and 24 years at draft time probably should take him off our board.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I get it trust me. Double digit surgeries and 24 years at draft time probably should take him off our board.
It's a shame as he looks like a great player on the tape I have watched.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't understand the hype of Overshown who hasn't played one snap in a regular season or postseason NFL game.

Before the... Oh in preseason he looked like a beast...

How many times have we seen guys in preseason look amazing and got to a real game and wasn't that good?

He could be really good but Dallas shouldn't rely on him. Go into off-season not counting on him is what I think is smart. Both draft and free agency
Ascending player. Got better every year. I dont think he is the cure to our ills at LB, because he is more of a LB/SS rover type. However he should be an effective player when we get him on the field. I think he will be a player in 2024 than Clarke is

vlad

Reaction score
I don't understand the hype of Overshown who hasn't played one snap in a regular season or postseason NFL game.

Before the... Oh in preseason he looked like a beast...

How many times have we seen guys in preseason look amazing and got to a real game and wasn't that good?

He could be really good but Dallas shouldn't rely on him. Go into off-season not counting on him is what I think is smart. Both draft and free agency
Totally agree - even if he outperforms expectations or hits his ceiling isn’t he a light speed lb? I hope he crushes it but expecting him to be some savior seems like the most Cowboys And Cowboyszone thing ever.

One profile says he’s exactly what we don’t need more of, although I’m hoping he’s not as bad as Clark:

Overshown could struggle to hold up to downhill running attacks, but his instincts and blitz talent create a potential opportunity for him as a nickel/dime linebacker.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'd like to see them bring in a veteran inside guy as well. Maybe a Josey Jewell from Denver or see if Wagner is willing to leave Seattle now that Carroll is done.
This x 100
We need to know what we are getting.........this FO isn't good at drafting LBers. That's proven......

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Totally agree - even if he outperforms expectations or hits his ceiling isn’t he a light speed lb? I hope he crushes it but expecting him to be some savior seems like the most Cowboys And Cowboyszone thing ever.

One profile says he’s exactly what we don’t need more of, although I’m hoping he’s not as bad as Clark:

Overshown could struggle to hold up to downhill running attacks, but his instincts and blitz talent create a potential opportunity for him as a nickel/dime linebacker.
I agree with what you said, not only that but he was a rookie that got hurt in preseason. How will that effect his development? Will he need some time coming back from injury?

For me I'm not counting him as a LB until we see him in a regular season game.

Dallas needs to address LB as if they have none

vlad

Reaction score
I agree with what you said, not only that but he was a rookie that got hurt in preseason. How will that effect his development? Will he need some time coming back from injury?

For me I'm not counting him as a LB until we see him in a regular season game.

Dallas needs to address LB as if they have none
Bingo !

I feel like it’s not even that complicated, we’ve been saying this since Jaylon was here. I am a nerd for ilb play, great ones makes such a big impact.

Feels like the inside linebackers of SF or Baltimore been doing more than the pass rushers (not that yet don’t work hand in hand).

Just looked for example Bosa has 3.5 sacks in last 8 games. It’s not like we have strahan giants showing up.

I’ll see you this time next year complaining about the same thing lol

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Uhhh, Payton Wilson is 6'4" and weighs 238 lbs. He could easily add another 10 lbs without it affecting his speed.

Wilson has been clocked in the 40 at 4.49 and ran a 4.21 in the pro agility shuttle this offseason. He bench-pressed 390; vertical-jumped 35 1/2 inches and broad-jumped 9-8 1/2. - Dec 12, 2023

His issue is his lengthy injury history dating back since high school. If we had a 4th round pick, he would be worth taking at that time. Too bad Jerry wasted our 4th rounder on Trey Lance. Unless the Cowboys decide to use their late 3rd rounder on Payton Wilson, I doubt he will be available by the time the Cowboys pick again at the very end (compensatory) of the 5th round.

Gambit

Reaction score
Uhhh, Payton Wilson is 6'4" and weighs 238 lbs. He could easily add another 10 lbs without it affecting his speed.

Wilson has been clocked in the 40 at 4.49 and ran a 4.21 in the pro agility shuttle this offseason. He bench-pressed 390; vertical-jumped 35 1/2 inches and broad-jumped 9-8 1/2. - Dec 12, 2023

His issue is his lengthy injury history dating back since high school. If we had a 4th round pick, he would be worth taking at that time. Too bad Jerry wasted our 4th rounder on Trey Lance. Unless the Cowboys decide to use their late 3rd rounder on Payton Wilson, I doubt he will be available by the time the Cowboys pick again at the very end (compensatory) of the 5th round.
After Senior Bowl doubt he makes 3rd round let alone 4th. If we want him 56 probably the spot to take him.