Payton Wilson: Cowboys MLB draft target

Carson

Reaction score
After Senior Bowl doubt he makes 3rd round let alone 4th. If we want him 56 probably the spot to take him.
Im all over him at 56. Injury concerns and durability are massive concerns.

Another guy i am growing to like is Junior Colson out of Michigan

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Commanders fans are slobbering all over Payton Wilson. They want new Head Coach to grab Payton Wilson with their early 2nd round draft pick...

NC State LB Payton Wilson​

Payton Wilson has had a terrific college career. However, his age and injury history are concerns heading into the draft. Everyone knows he can play. Wilson had a good week at the Senior Bowl, proving that he can handle himself in coverage. Wilson has great size, experience and the best defensive instincts in this draft. Wilson is easily a second-round pick. The Commanders badly need help at linebacker and Wilson could be an ideal fit for Dan Quinn’s revamped defense.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Commanders fans are slobbering all over Payton Wilson. They want new Head Coach to grab Payton Wilson with their early 2nd round draft pick...

NC State LB Payton Wilson​

Payton Wilson has had a terrific college career. However, his age and injury history are concerns heading into the draft. Everyone knows he can play. Wilson had a good week at the Senior Bowl, proving that he can handle himself in coverage. Wilson has great size, experience and the best defensive instincts in this draft. Wilson is easily a second-round pick. The Commanders badly need help at linebacker and Wilson could be an ideal fit for Dan Quinn’s revamped defense.

There is no way Payton Wilson will make it all the way down to the Cowboys 56th overall pick late in the 2nd round. Cowboys need to take Payton Wilson with their 24th overall pick (late 1st) or trade down into the very late 1st (use that pick on Payton Wilson) while picking up an extra mid round pick. If not, somebody else is going to get Payton Wilson.

cnuball21

Reaction score
There is no way Payton Wilson will make it all the way down to the Cowboys 56th overall pick late in the 2nd round. Cowboys need to take Payton Wilson with their 24th overall pick (late 1st) or trade down into the very late 1st (use that pick on Payton Wilson) while picking up an extra mid round pick. If not, somebody else is going to get Payton Wilson.
You don’t take an off the ball LBr in the 1st round that has had double digit surgeries and injury concerns.

Taking him in the 2nd is even questionable.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You don’t take an off the ball LBr in the 1st round that has had double digit surgeries and injury concerns.

Taking him in the 2nd is even questionable.
Off ball? Have you watched his videos or do you enjoy making up false accusations?

John813

Reaction score
I liked him going back to 2022 when I thought he could leave early for the draft. ACL took him out that year.
Have to wonder if he's the new Matt Johnson at LB though. Has the size, athletics and college stats but just can't stay healthy for a sport as violent as football.

That being said, I wouldn't complain if they took him day 2.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I liked him going back to 2022 when I thought he could leave early for the draft. ACL took him out that year.
Have to wonder if he's the new Matt Johnson at LB though. Has the size, athletics and college stats but just can't stay healthy for a sport as violent as football.

That being said, I wouldn't complain if they took him day 2.
Payton Wilson did stay healthy all of 2023, so that's a good sign.

Proof

Reaction score
I don't understand the hype of Overshown who hasn't played one snap in a regular season or postseason NFL game.

Before the... Oh in preseason he looked like a beast...

How many times have we seen guys in preseason look amazing and got to a real game and wasn't that good?

He could be really good but Dallas shouldn't rely on him. Go into off-season not counting on him is what I think is smart. Both draft and free agency
relying on him and him being hyped aren't mutually exclusive. he looks like a player. whats not to understand?

Gambit

Reaction score
I don't understand the hype of Overshown who hasn't played one snap in a regular season or postseason NFL game.

Before the... Oh in preseason he looked like a beast...

How many times have we seen guys in preseason look amazing and got to a real game and wasn't that good?

He could be really good but Dallas shouldn't rely on him. Go into off-season not counting on him is what I think is smart. Both draft and free agency
As fans who only get to see a smidgen of practice etc, we have to rely on coaches and their information.

By all accounts he was posed to play a big part of our defensive plans.

I don't believe anyone is suggesting don't draft a LB because of him, just saying he will be a pieced added back to the puzzle, and based off what we did see, that is an exciting prospect.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
relying on him and him being hyped aren't mutually exclusive. he looks like a player. whats not to understand?
Overhyping a rookie that got hurt in preseason and hasn't played a single snap in the regular season.....hmm I don't know

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
As fans who only get to see a smidgen of practice etc, we have to rely on coaches and their information.

By all accounts he was posed to play a big part of our defensive plans.

I don't believe anyone is suggesting don't draft a LB because of him, just saying he will be a pieced added back to the puzzle, and based off what we did see, that is an exciting prospect.
Again, how many times have we seen players look good in practice or preseason and couldn't handle it in the regular season.

He didn't play a single snap in a regular season game and barely played in preseason before the injury

Gambit

Reaction score
Again, how many times have we seen players look good in practice or preseason and couldn't handle it in the regular season.

He didn't play a single snap in a regular season game and barely played in preseason before the injury
Ok let's cut him. No time for people who don't show enough for Irvin88.

But before we do, did you miss the last sentence of my post you replied to? If so, it might be helpful to read it.

Proof

Reaction score
Overhyping a rookie that got hurt in preseason and hasn't played a single snap in the regular season.....hmm I don't know
i mean clearly the optimism is based on college performance. no one knows if it will translate and obviously there’s concern for the injury, but it’s not as if there’s zero evidence to believe in

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Especially when nobody said a positive word about him when the Cowboys were reported to be interviewing him. Zero support.

But they drafted him. Future stud. The blown out knee a mere speed bump.

I'd approach the offseason like you're going to get nothing from Overshown. There's no reason to count on him whatsoever. He's a healthy question mark coming off of a major injury who hasn't taken a meaningful snap yet.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i mean clearly the optimism is based on college performance. no one knows if it will translate and obviously there’s concern for the injury, but it’s not as if there’s zero evidence to believe in
Then why didn't anyone have a positive word to say about the yee haw awesome college career before the draft? Were you all keeping it a secret?

I remember getting "ugh"s and "who"s when I posted they were talking with him.

Proof

Reaction score
Then why didn't anyone have a positive word to say about the yee haw awesome college career before the draft? Were you all keeping it a secret?

I remember getting "ugh"s and "who"s when I posted they were talking with him.
that’s literally every pick in cowboys history. i can’t remember the last universally lauded selection. plenty of folks were happy though. (not me, i was unfamiliar and only researched after the selection)

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
that’s literally every pick in cowboys history. i can’t remember the last universally lauded selection. plenty of folks were happy though. (not me, i was unfamiliar and only researched after the selection)
I'm talking before the pick. In the months leading up to the draft.