PC gone too far?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
rkell87;3314515 said:
he did something wrong, he didnt do anything illegal

He used Walmart's property without permission, so there's probably a statute that deals with that kind of miscreant behavior. His comment was rude and insensitive, not racist or inflammatory (unless you consider "black" to be a racist term :rolleyes:). Certainly no worse than what you hear from cab drivers, talk radio, or fellow patrons at a sporting event. It's also important to remember that these were not "fighting words," so any charge predicated on the content of his speech will likely fail. You don't have the right not to be offended or not to have your feelings hurt. After five years at The Zone, I should know. ;)

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
rkell87;3314515 said:

Seriously. I doubt someone would get arrested for yelling out in the city that you hate the police. You might get a few tails on you, but that's about it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
bbgun;3314521 said:
He used Walmart's property without permission, so there's probably a statute that deals with that kind of miscreant behavior. His comment was rude and insensitive, not racist or inflammatory (unless you consider "black" to be a racist term :rolleyes:). Certainly no worse than what you hear from cab drivers, talk radio, or fellow patrons at a sporting event. It's also important to remember that these were not "fighting words," so any charge predicated on the content of his speech will likely fail. You don't have the right not to be offended or not to have your feelings hurt. After five years at The Zone, I should know. ;)
Right, singling out a single race and telling them to leave is not racist.

What the hell?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
rkell87;3314515 said:
There are laws in the state of New Jersey under which he can and likely will be prosecuted. That means it's illegal. This isn't some philosophical debate of what should or shouldn't be illegal. It clearly was illegal.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;3314527 said:
Right, singling out a single race and telling them to leave is not racist.

What the hell?

Would asking all women to leave the store make him a misogynist? Get a grip. This was clearly a juvenile, spur of the moment prank, not a hate crime. Punish him for illegal use of property and that's it. If his friends and family want to shun him for knuckleheaded behavior, that's fine too.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
bbgun;3314534 said:
Would asking all women to leave the store make him a misogynist? Get a grip. This was clearly a juvenile, spur of the moment prank, not a hate crime. Punish him for illegal use of property and that's it. If his friends and family want to shun him for knuckleheaded behavior, that's fine too.

:hammer:

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3314535 said:
It's discrimination. Yes, there is a difference.

Theo knows a pint-sized Klansman when he sees one. You'd think this kid burned a cross on someone's lawn or something. :rolleyes:

rkell87

Reaction score
bbgun;3314521 said:
yeah kick him out, ban him but if using the PA system is illegal whats next? getting a ticket for wondering into the back room?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3314543 said:
I guess maybe bias intimidation could be a hate crime but harassment isn't.

This is how weak their case is. What the hell is that? Of course Al Sharpton may get some ideas.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3314543 said:
I guess maybe bias intimidation could be a hate crime but harassment isn't.

Still trying to figure out how inconveniencing people qualifies as "hate." I'll sleep on that one.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
bbgun;3314534 said:
It's funny that you're so eager to see it as a prank, but are trying to hide the racism. It completely ruins your argument. The two go hand in hand. If it's clear it was a prank, then it should be clear that it was racism. The kid may have been using racism as a joke or "prank," much like Dave Chapelle uses racism as a joke, but you can't have the joke or prank without the racism.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
bbgun;3314542 said:
Theo knows a pint-sized Klansman when he sees one. You'd think this kid burned a cross on someone's lawn or something. :rolleyes:
That's a clever, but irrelevant, strawman argument. Congrats.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;3314556 said:
It's funny that you're so eager to see it as a prank, but are trying to hide the racism. It completely ruins your argument. The two go hand in hand. If it's clear it was a prank, then it should be clear that it was racism. The kid may have been using racism as a joke or "prank," much like Dave Chapelle uses racism as a joke, but you can't have the joke or prank without the racism.

Racism is not as broad a picture as you paint it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
bbgun;3314554 said:
Still trying to figure out how inconveniencing people qualifies as "hate." I'll sleep on that one.
Just an FYI for you, the term "hate" does not appear in the New Jersey statutes under which he's being charged. It only appears once in the New Jersey statutes and that's not even under the criminal code.

rkell87

Reaction score
theogt;3314530 said:
There are laws in the state of New Jersey under which he can and likely will be prosecuted. That means it's illegal. This isn't some philosophical debate of what should or shouldn't be illegal. It clearly was illegal.
whats illegal? what he said? biased intimidation? yeah that is flimsy at best. illegal use of property? my guess is unless the PA system is clearly labeled 'employee use only' you can get out of that one too.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
rkell87;3314568 said:
whats illegal? what he said? biased intimidation? yeah that is flimsy at best. illegal use of property? my guess is unless the PA system is clearly labeled 'employee use only' you can get out of that one too.
I'm not going to get into a debate about the law. The law is very clear in this regard. And you can find it online at the New Jersey legislature website.