Pearson vs. Swann vs. Carmichael: Objective look

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Like many of us on these boards, I am incensed that Drew is not in the HoF. I decided to take a look at each receiver and figure out why Drew is not in while the others are.

First, the raw stats.

Drew Pearson (11 years)
489 receptions
7,822 yards
48 TD
Yards per game: 50.1
1,000 yards seasons: 2
4x Pro Bowler
3x 1st Team All Pro
1x 2nd Team All Pro
Made the Hail Mary Catch
1970's All Decade Team

Lynn Swann (9 years)
336 receptions
5,462 yards
51 TD
Yards per game: 47.1
1,000 yard seasons: 0
3x Pro Bowler
1x 1st Team All Pro
2x 2nd Team All Pro
Super Bowl MVP
1970's All Decade Team

Harold Carmichael (13 years, his 14th year in Dallas he barely saw the field, so 13 years)
590 receptions (played TE his first year at a time they were barely thrown to)
8,985 yards
79 TD
Yards per game: 49.4
1,000 seasons: 3
4x Pro Bowl

Playoffs:
Drew Pearson:
22 games, 68 receptions, 8 TD's, 1,,131 yards, 51.4 yards per game
Lynn Swann: 16 games, 48 receptions, 9 TD's, 907 yards, 56.7 yards per game
Harold Carmichael: 7 games, 29 receptions, 6 TD's, 465 yards, 66.4 yards per game

What do these raw stats tell us? Two things jump out:
  • Lynn Swann is the least impactful of the three, though he has been in the HoF for years.
  • Harold Carmichael is by far the most impactful in the playoffs.
  • Carmichael's teams, judging by playoff appearances, have been awful compared to Swann's or Pearson's

Let's go further. Who were the QB's and how stable was each franchise?

Swann: One HC (Chuck Noll), One QB (Bradshaw)
Pearson: One HC (Tom Landry), Two QB's (Staubach and White)
Carmichael: Six HC's, of which only one was any good (Dick Vermeil), Seven QB's (3 years of Roman Gabriel, of which he was healthy for one, Jaworski, Pisarcik, Boyela, Arrington, Reeves, and three games with the corpse of Dan Pastorini).

Swann and Pearson played for great coaches and good to great QB's. Carmichael played under mostly garbage coaching and garbage at the QB position. Vermeil was an excellent coach--the other five were horrible-- one year of a very good healthy Roman Gabriel (2 bad injured years), and the good but overrated Jaws with Vermeil. The other QB's were hot garbage.

After looking at this, and remembering all these receivers play, I would take Carmichael over either Swann or Pearson. And how Swann got in the HoF and Pearson didn't is a mystery. I can't imagine what Staubach could have done with Carmichael, or how good Carmichael would be considered if he had a team with solid ownership, QB play, and coaching.

My opinion will not be popular. I don't give a ****.

I lean heavily on All Pro and whether a player was leading the league in relevant stats. Were you the best for some period of time? Not just an also ran for a long time.

Carmichael is less than Pearson. Never made All Pro. The most comparable guy to Pearson is Cliff Branch, who I'd give the push to over Pearson. And Branch didn't make it in either. They should both be in.

The problem for both of them was how short their period of dominance was.

And it's a farce to have Swann over Pearson and Branch. While they were All Pros, Swann wasn't. He only made it when they had dropped off in 1978, and their best years were just better than Swann's. It's not even close.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Bingo! Plus, the Steelers were 2-0 head-to-head versus the Cowboys in the Super Bowl. The HoF voters favor players on winning, successful teams over those on also-ran teams. Reverse the Cowboys-Steelers Super Bowl results and Drew most likely is in and Swann isn’t.
Exactly, plus Swann I think out preformed pearson in the 2 SB games with Pitt. Swan always had a big play that led to a score , usually and good catch,
and his team wound up winning.
Being on a team that won 4 SB's also helps him and others on that team get in.

Add to that the fact that Drew has been whining about not getting in for 15 years, does not help him with voters.
I think if he had kept his mouth shut on the topic, he might be in by now.

Also the nfl is kinda cheap about the hall of fame, and only add a few players each year, and only what 2 each time from that era.
If they put more money into it they could do more players.
Each player added has to have a spot and a bust etc in the museum, it takes money for all that, and what happens when building is full?

I have said it before, fans need to start their own online hall of fame site, which would be a lot cheaper, and could include all the players that
deserve to be in there. So anyone willing to donate cash to start one??

JBond

Reaction score
One of the best threads I have read in a while. Thanks to the OP for starting it. Hope the young kids take the time to read through it. A solid back and forth discussion.

Drew got screwed.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Bruce has way better stats.

In a different era. Can't compare receiving gross yards across eras. That's why I look at All Pro and league leading stats. Who was actually the best in their time?

Bruce never made All Pro. Only led the league in one stat for one year.

Both Pearson and Branch made All Pro 3 times. They were the best in the league for a chunk of time. And Branch in particular had the stats to prove it.

You can make a case for Bruce in terms of being a top guy longer.

Rayman70

Reaction score
In a different era. Can't compare passing yards across eras. That's why I look at All Pro and league leading stats. Who was actually the best in their time?

Bruce never made All Pro. Only led the league in one stat for one year.

Both Pearson and Branch made All Pro 3 times. They were the best in the league for a chunk of time. And Branch in particular had the stats to prove it.
cliff and drew should be in the hall,period. Anyone who claims otherwise doesn't grasp the concept of what the HOF ought to mean. Its not the HALL OF STATS...its the hall of FAME.

Rayman70

Reaction score
One of the best threads I have read in a while. Thanks to the OP for starting it. Hope the young kids take the time to read through it. A solid back and forth discussion.

Drew got screwed.
EXACTLY! Its the HALL OF FAME. Not the HALL OF STATS. Fame, meaning they were Famous for how they did what they did and YES, style points and context should count HUGE. Drew and Cliff Branch did what they did at a time where its was a running league, 3 yards and a cloud of dust. That's what makes this so stunning that they both got left out. Cliff Harris deserved it..good for him! He played at a high level for a long time and again, at a time where it was a running league..so int's were harder to come by. You really had to be a student of the game back in the day, to get those turnovers. KUDOS TO HIM. THE HALL GOT THAT 1 RIGHT. Drew and Branch got screwed. I wanna know who the hell voted to not elect them.

rags747

Reaction score
The one thing Carmichael had that stands out is his 117 game streak of catching at least 1 pass.

What stands out to me with him is the day the Eagles played the Cowboys and that streak ended.
Sadly enough I remember that day, not sure what that says!

MichaelValentino

Reaction score
Every single player on both the 1st- and 2nd-team All-Decade 70s offense is now a Hall of Famer. All 22 players -- except Drew Pearson.

And Pearson is on the 1st team!

The HoF voters have not only done an injustice to Drew Pearson, but their leaving Cliff Branch out of Canton is just as wrong. During a 15-year stretch (early 60s - mid 70s), Branch was one of the four most accomplished and feared deep threats in the game (Lance Alworth, Bob Hayes, Paul Warfield) and of the other three, only Hayes was faster.

As others have said, Pearson is hurt by the fact Pittsburgh beat Dallas in two SBs. And in those two wins, Swann was stellar.

Although L.C. Greenwood had a monster game in SB X (four sacks) and Jack Lambert played like a wild man in the 2nd half (Cliff Harris set him off like a Roman candle by patting Roy Gerela on the head after a missed FG late in the 2nd quarter), it was Swann who shone most in Miami that day.

And, it was Harris who tried to intimidate Swann in the media before the game, after Swann was concussed in the AFCCG vs the Raiders. All Swann did was make one spectacular catch after another, setting a then SB record for receiving yards.

I love Drew Pearson, but the truth is undeniable: had Dallas and Pittsburgh traded their #88's before kick-off, the Cowboys would have won SB X. Swann's acrobatic catches were responsible for 14 Pittsburgh points in a four-point win. Drew, great as he was, could not have soared high to make those two amazing catches vs Mark Washington, who actually had very good coverage.

In SB XIII, the most spectacular play was Swann soaring over Harris in the back of the end zone to catch the clinching TD. Had it been Pearson, that would have been an incomplete pass out of the back of the end zone. And Swann capped off his SB career with a deep TD vs Rod Perry of the Rams the following year. I can't stand the Steelers, but in their last three SBs, Swann was their best offensive threat.

With championships comes national media recognition, and one more SB win would have been large enough to overcome the anti-Dallas bias in the HoF voting. If the Cowboys had won either SB X or XIII, guys like Drew and Harvey Martin would be in Canton already.

Obviously, the voters remember what Swann did in the SB. Pearson's career stats/accomplishments were at least the equal of Swann's, and actually, even better. But on the biggest stage, Swann shone brighter, and being on a four-time champion, he became a lock for Canton.

Unless Drew gets in next year, I think it's unlikely he will get in. Sadly, the window appears to be closing shut on Harvey Martin and the Cowboys' most deserving player not yet in, Chuck Howley.

efh313

Reaction score
The HoF voters have not only done an injustice to Drew Pearson, but their leaving Cliff Branch out of Canton is just as wrong. During a 15-year stretch (early 60s - mid 70s), Branch was one of the four most accomplished and feared deep threats in the game (Lance Alworth, Bob Hayes, Paul Warfield) and of the other three, only Hayes was faster.

As others have said, Pearson is hurt by the fact Pittsburgh beat Dallas in two SBs. And in those two wins, Swann was stellar.

Although L.C. Greenwood had a monster game in SB X (four sacks) and Jack Lambert played like a wild man in the 2nd half (Cliff Harris set him off like a Roman candle by patting Roy Gerela on the head after a missed FG late in the 2nd quarter), it was Swann who shone most in Miami that day.

And, it was Harris who tried to intimidate Swann in the media before the game, after Swann was concussed in the AFCCG vs the Raiders. All Swann did was make one spectacular catch after another, setting a then SB record for receiving yards.

I love Drew Pearson, but the truth is undeniable: had Dallas and Pittsburgh traded their #88's before kick-off, the Cowboys would have won SB X. Swann's acrobatic catches were responsible for 14 Pittsburgh points in a four-point win. Drew, great as he was, could not have soared high to make those two amazing catches vs Mark Washington, who actually had very good coverage.

In SB XIII, the most spectacular play was Swann soaring over Harris in the back of the end zone to catch the clinching TD. Had it been Pearson, that would have been an incomplete pass out of the back of the end zone. And Swann capped off his SB career with a deep TD vs Rod Perry of the Rams the following year. I can't stand the Steelers, but in their last three SBs, Swann was their best offensive threat.

With championships comes national media recognition, and one more SB win would have been large enough to overcome the anti-Dallas bias in the HoF voting. If the Cowboys had won either SB X or XIII, guys like Drew and Harvey Martin would be in Canton already.

Obviously, the voters remember what Swann did in the SB. Pearson's career stats/accomplishments were at least the equal of Swann's, and actually, even better. But on the biggest stage, Swann shone brighter, and being on a four-time champion, he became a lock for Canton.

Unless Drew gets in next year, I think it's unlikely he will get in. Sadly, the window appears to be closing shut on Harvey Martin and the Cowboys' most deserving player not yet in, Chuck Howley.
Great post!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like many of us on these boards, I am incensed that Drew is not in the HoF. I decided to take a look at each receiver and figure out why Drew is not in while the others are.

First, the raw stats.

Drew Pearson (11 years)
489 receptions
7,822 yards
48 TD
Yards per game: 50.1
1,000 yards seasons: 2
4x Pro Bowler
3x 1st Team All Pro
1x 2nd Team All Pro
Made the Hail Mary Catch
1970's All Decade Team

Lynn Swann (9 years)
336 receptions
5,462 yards
51 TD
Yards per game: 47.1
1,000 yard seasons: 0
3x Pro Bowler
1x 1st Team All Pro
2x 2nd Team All Pro
Super Bowl MVP
1970's All Decade Team

Harold Carmichael (13 years, his 14th year in Dallas he barely saw the field, so 13 years)
590 receptions (played TE his first year at a time they were barely thrown to)
8,985 yards
79 TD
Yards per game: 49.4
1,000 seasons: 3
4x Pro Bowl

Playoffs:
Drew Pearson:
22 games, 68 receptions, 8 TD's, 1,,131 yards, 51.4 yards per game
Lynn Swann: 16 games, 48 receptions, 9 TD's, 907 yards, 56.7 yards per game
Harold Carmichael: 7 games, 29 receptions, 6 TD's, 465 yards, 66.4 yards per game

What do these raw stats tell us? Two things jump out:
  • Lynn Swann is the least impactful of the three, though he has been in the HoF for years.
  • Harold Carmichael is by far the most impactful in the playoffs.
  • Carmichael's teams, judging by playoff appearances, have been awful compared to Swann's or Pearson's

Let's go further. Who were the QB's and how stable was each franchise?

Swann: One HC (Chuck Noll), One QB (Bradshaw)
Pearson: One HC (Tom Landry), Two QB's (Staubach and White)
Carmichael: Six HC's, of which only one was any good (Dick Vermeil), Seven QB's (3 years of Roman Gabriel, of which he was healthy for one, Jaworski, Pisarcik, Boyela, Arrington, Reeves, and three games with the corpse of Dan Pastorini).

Swann and Pearson played for great coaches and good to great QB's. Carmichael played under mostly garbage coaching and garbage at the QB position. Vermeil was an excellent coach--the other five were horrible-- one year of a very good healthy Roman Gabriel (2 bad injured years), and the good but overrated Jaws with Vermeil. The other QB's were hot garbage.

After looking at this, and remembering all these receivers play, I would take Carmichael over either Swann or Pearson. And how Swann got in the HoF and Pearson didn't is a mystery. I can't imagine what Staubach could have done with Carmichael, or how good Carmichael would be considered if he had a team with solid ownership, QB play, and coaching.

My opinion will not be popular. I don't give a ****.
I think this is pretty fair. I've said this before, but the reality with Swann is, in my mind, that much of what got the attention of HOF voters was the 2 Super Bowl wins against the Cowboys where he had huge games and several acrobatic highlight reel catches. We all know the ones - those catches are still being shown today. Being part of 4 SB winning teams also helped. Otherwise his career was good, but not great, and not very long.

Carmichael actually started off as a TE, but after his rookie year was moved to WR. I remember him as a great player. The one thing he was lacking and that I think cost him in the eyes of HOF voters all these years was the high profile playoff success.

For Cowboy fans who were old enough to watch Pearson, he was more than just the stats. He was the clutch guy, the tough take a hit over the middle guy. Roger's go to guy when the Cowboys backs were against the wall. I think, unfortunately, voters may not be as tuned into all that as Cowboy fans are and were.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
First of all, to Harris being in - IT'S ABOUT FREAKING TIME!

He left football with many good years left to make money, when he played NFL players, even allowing for the much lower costs of everything in the 1970's, didn't get the massive salaries great players do today. If he'd stayed a few more years, would seem to be no question he'd have had another couple of Pro Bowl/All Pro seasons, and would made the HOF much sooner, maybe even the first year of eligibility. I've campaigned for him to make the HOF for years, good feeling to know now the voters agree.

In regards to Pearson vs. Swann vs. Carmichael, I have to remove the playoff and SB numbers, you can't have those numbers unless your TEAM makes it, Carmichael didn't play on a lot of good teams, wasn't all his fault they didn't, obviously.

The thing about to me Drew being over both of the others is what the Houston Chronical writer said in a story about Pearson, in noting what they were most known for - that he was CLUTCH.

Whenever Roger HAD to make a play, who was the target? Drew Pearson. And not just in the Hail Mary, it was in many other games. Swann had a few of those, but the most famous one - the catch over Randy Hughes in the SB, was largely luck - the ball was deflected but fell right on top of him, and besides that Hughes had a shoulder brace that prevented him from reaching over his head with that arm, if healthy it'd probably been intercepted or deflected way past Swann. But that's an aside.

It wasn't just that he was clutch, either. Watch Dorsett's 99 yard run, and who was the last blocker downfield? Pearson. Again, there are other plays where Drew was the blocker for a long reception, or blocked for other Dorsett runs. Don't recall Swann doing that very much, though admittedly I didn't watch many other Steelers games.

Add to that that Pearson is the ONLY other All 70's receiver NOT in the HOF, that alone is a crime and a travesty. If EVERY other receiver is in, how can you exclude Pearson? It's impossible to believe Pearson was on that team and yet all of the others were far enough ahead of him as a player to say they belong in the HOF and Pearson doesn't.

Though I do believe the voters didn't feel they should put in two players on the same team, who played about the same years, in the HOF the same year. Hopefully next year...

BatteryPowered

Reaction score
BUT.....only one is known for one of the most exciting plays in the game........the HAIL MARY

I think Drew deserves the HOF...but this is very flawed logic. Based on it, David Tyree should be in the HOF...he made the most iconic catch on the games biggest stage.

I also feel sorry for Drew over the emotional video. But let's be honest...he chose to have the cameras there and make it a celebration because he thought he might get in. He set himself up. Ironically, the sympathy for him it generated might be the thing that gets him in via the veterans committee.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I think Drew deserves the HOF...but this is very flawed logic. Based on it, David Tyree should be in the HOF...he made the most iconic catch on the games biggest stage.

I also feel sorry for Drew over the emotional video. But let's be honest...he chose to have the cameras there and make it a celebration because he thought he might get in. He set himself up. Ironically, the sympathy for him it generated might be the thing that gets him in via the veterans committee.
I didn't say he deserved it over one play