Penn State Head Coach Joe Paterno FIRED *SuperMerge*

JBond

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;4233890 said:
Let's go through what Paterno did.

Mike McQueary and his dad John came to him with a watered down version of what McQueary witnessed.

Paterno notified his immediate superior, the AD, and the management head of the police department as is his legal obligation to do.

He's told several weeks later that it was investigated there wasn't enough evidence. The Second Mile was also told the exact same thing. Also Sandusky is barred from bringing children on campus.

Forward to 2009. A DA approaches Paterno about allegations against Sandusky so he puts McQueary and Curley's name on the radar.

If Paterno did anything wrong or participate in a cover up of abuse, why on Earth would he have exposed the alleged cover up to the grand jury?

If he is barred from campus how is he raping little boys in the showers in 2002? That would seem like an odd place to go especially if you were barred from there already for molesting boys. Your post does not make any sense. Who allowed him back on campus knowing all the things they already knew?

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
JBond;4234196 said:
If he is barred from campus how is he raping little boys in the showers in 2002? That would seem like an odd place to go especially if you were barred from there already for molesting boys. Your post does not make any sense. Who allowed him back on campus knowing all the things they already knew?

He was banned from campus AFTER the incident in 2002, not before it.

Seems as time went on though, it was never enforced. Its up to the University to enforce the ban.. they seem to have failed. Another reason why Schultz is one of the main guys being targeted and charged.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Stautner;4234190 said:
Maybe, but we are talking hypotheticals and not trying to fit into it every detail about what Paterno may or may not have known, and when he may or may not have known it.

Why not? It seems to be a pretty big deal t some people that he may or may not have known about the 1998 incident.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4234227 said:

Seems as time went on though, it was never enforced. Its up to the University to enforce the ban.. they seem to have failed. Another reason why Schultz is one of the main guys being targeted and charged.

2 questions, I thought I read he was banned from bringing children on campus, not banned himself, correct?

and second, even if that was enforced, would common sense not say that he'll just do it some where else? Why would anyone with knowledge of the 2002 event be satisfied with that outcome?

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4234227 said:

It's on Paterno to enforce it as much as anyone else. Don't kid yourself.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4234194 said:
This is what im talking about. Im fairly sure that Joe knew about the first reported incident, and im fairly sure that is the reason he called him in and told him he would never be the head coach at this university. Why else would he all of a sudden call him in and tell him that when they are good friends?

I don't think Joe wanted much to do with the man after that, and after the 2002 incident was reported to him, he went immediately to report it to his superior and was told by him and the head of campus police that they would investigate immediately and take care of it.

Both those idiots came back to him a couple weeks later and flat out lied to him telling him there was nothing there. What is he supposed to think after that? He was banned from campus after that.

Reading PSU message boards many said it was obvious that Joe Pa had cooled to Sandusky in '99 and that he had very little of anything to say to him or at his retirement banquet other than short generic quips. I'm sure he knew. Since no charges were filed I think Joe Pa demonstrated the man he was known to be by cutting ties with what many considered the best assistant coach in the business...

I think in the 2002 incident, he was so disassociated with Sandusky he reported it to his superiors (who REALLY dropped the ball) and gave the whole situation the Pontius Pilate treatment...

Being the figurehead of PSU, he is now taking a fall for not reporting it to police...

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
DOUBLE WING;4234238 said:
It's on Paterno to enforce it as much as anyone else. Don't kid yourself.

Paterno is a 75 year old man, and a football coach. Not the judge, jury, and executioner.

If someone is banned from campus, or banned from bringing kids onto campus, its up the the university to enforce it.. not the football coach who has nothing to do with Sandusky at this point.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
trickblue;4234250 said:
Reading PSU message boards many said it was obvious that Joe Pa had cooled to Sandusky in '99 and that he had very little of anything to say to him or at his retirement banquet other than short generic quips. I'm sure he knew. Since no charges were filed I think Joe Pa demonstrated the man he was known to be by cutting ties with what many considered the best assistant coach in the business...

I think in the 2002 incident, he was so disassociated with Sandusky he reported it to his superiors (who REALLY dropped the ball) and gave the whole situation the Pontius Pilate treatment...

Being the figurehead of PSU, he is now taking a fall for not reporting it to police...

..and its completely understandable. He should leave, and has already took it upon himself to step down. He's doing the right thing.. he knows he made a huge mistake and it will weigh on him, but he will continue to help the university and its students in whatever ways he can until the day he dies.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4234236 said:
2 questions, I thought I read he was banned from bringing children on campus, not banned himself, correct?

and second, even if that was enforced, would common sense not say that he'll just do it some where else? Why would anyone with knowledge of the 2002 event be satisfied with that outcome?

Why would police and child protective services hear him admit to them both that he showered with a young boy in the locker room in 1998 and just say "Don't do it again.. now move along, sir." ??

Makes no sense.. none of this does.

rgcowboys

Reaction score
This is a disgrace. Everybody involved knew and covered it up so it wouldn't make Penn state look bad. Look at how many victims that shouldn't have been. Joe Paterno knew pushed it up and kept silent when he knew the right thing wasn't done. Now he says he will step down after the season, lol. No Joe you should be dismissed right now. Penn state would of been respected and admired if yall would of turned in the you know what when this took place. But no, you added to the list of victims. Remember that when you remember your wins and championships.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4234252 said:
Paterno is a 75 year old man, and a football coach. Not the judge, jury, and executioner.

If someone is banned from campus, or banned from bringing kids onto campus, its up the the university to enforce it.. not the football coach who has nothing to do with Sandusky at this point.

Lame.

On Penn State grounds... Paterno is the judge, jury and executioner.

In the world outside Penn State grounds he's not the judge, jury and executioner.

Everybody pretty much knows this.

One second Paterno's this 'God' and 'is Penn State' and is the highest paid employee and once that doesn't fit...he's this meager, powerless, old man who is 'just a football coach.'

Nobody outside of blind loyalists buy that. I don't think Joe Paterno would say that.

In fact, he's said in hindsight he should've done more.

YR

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
rgcowboys;4234269 said:
This is a disgrace. Everybody involved knew and covered it up so it wouldn't make Penn state look bad. Look at how many victims that shouldn't have been. Joe Paterno knew pushed it up and kept silent when he knew the right thing wasn't done. Now he says he will step down after the season, lol. No Joe you should be dismissed right now. Penn state would of been respected and admired if yall would of turned in the you know what when this took place. But no, you added to the list of victims. Remember that when you remember your wins and championships.

And it keeps getting more and more asinine.

JBond

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4234263 said:
Why would police and child protective services hear him admit to them both that he showered with a young boy in the locker room in 1998 and just say "Don't do it again.. now move along, sir." ??

That is truly ****ed up. Who was pulling their strings? Who has that power?

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4234252 said:

So the football coach couldn't have noticed the banned guy bringing a young boy to his practice in 2007 and done something about it?

Your act of trying to downplay Paterno's significance on campus might work with people that know nothing about the school, but as someone who attended the Penn State University College of Communications for two years, I can tell you right now that it's not going to fool me.

His "superiors" are that in title only. Many of his supposed "superiors" grew up playing for or idolizing Paterno. At Penn State he in fact is judge, jury and executioner. To say that anyone holds more respect or power on that campus simply shows how little you actually know about how the campus works.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

I read the affadavit, but I recall if this was recorded or not. If not, that admission alone, even with a detective or who ever it was listening, wouldn't be enough to convince any DA that there was a strong enough case to go after him, and two even if it was recorded, that may not be admissable.

Outside of vigilante justice, which I'm not saying anyone should've done (maybe the GA or janitor), I'm not sure what they could've done, based on me not knowing specific Pennslyvania Laws reguarding recording someone w/o their knowledge.

Had they gone to the press, who would believe them?

Stautner

Reaction score

Just in this context, as stated here, he broke no law. Naked males have showered together in locker rooms since lockerrooms were created. There would have to be more - some inappropriate contact - to bust him for anything.

Mind you I'm not saying there wasn't inappropriate contact, nor am I saying it was acceptible for him to take a shower in the lockerroom with a young boy even if there was no contact, I'm just saying it isn't a punishable legal issue without some indication of contact.

tecolote

Reaction score
Stautner;4234365 said:
Just in this context, as stated here, he broke no law. Naked males have showered together in locker rooms since lockerrooms were created. There would have to be more - some inappropriate contact - to bust him for anything.

Mind you I'm not saying there wasn't inappropriate contact, nor am I saying it was acceptible for him to take a shower in the lockerroom with a young boy even if there was no contact, I'm just saying it isn't a punishable legal issue without some indication of contact.

The boy was 10, even ancient greeks would find that inappropriate.

Stautner

Reaction score
tecolote;4234445 said:
The boy was 10, even ancient greeks would find that inappropriate.

My post was pretty short, but apparently you managed to miss this part of it ....

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Stautner;4234468 said:
My post was pretty short, but apparently you managed to miss this part of it ....

From what I have read, he hugged the boy naked... in the shower...

Is that illegal? I really don't know in the state of Pennsylvania... I would assume so...

If not, it should be...

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4233636 said:
To be honest, you don't know what the hell you are talking about. He and his wife are the furthest thing from selfish. He did as he was supposed to do legally. He has done more for that community in his life time than you can hope to do in ten life times.
Selfish SOB is 20x too kind to Paterno.