Penn State Head Coach Joe Paterno FIRED *SuperMerge*

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Rogah;4234729 said:
+1. The Paterno apologists forget that the admins already tried to get rid of Paterno a couple times over the past decade, and he overruled them.

Basically, the coach told the adminstration to get stuffed and he wasn't leaving his job. I can't imaging that happening at any other university in the country. But at Penn St, that's how much power Paterno had.

Paterno, who supposedly has no power according to the blind loyalist, make an unauthorized statement this morning and told the board that he's retiring at the end of the year and to stop discussing his future.

A lot of big talk for a meager old man with no power.

:rolleyes:

YR

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4234736 said:
Does everybody pretty much know this?

Because I went to PSU, and that's why i roll my eyes at your every post. All you continue to do is assume things, make false accusations, and now bring in media cliche's that you think show that you know what you're talking about.. when really it just makes you look like more of a fool each time you post.

Nowhere is Joe the "judge, jury, and executioner" and to be honest, this entire situation has very little to do at all with the football program, as Sandusky wasn't even associated with it or employed by them at all when these incidents took place. Keep buying into the media circus act of this being mainly an issue involving Joe Paterno and PSU football. Its good comedy.

You must not have spent much time around the athletic programs then. I went to PSU for two years and wrote for the Daily Collegian and I laugh at anyone who says Paterno isn't at LEAST 1A on the list of most powerful men in State College.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Rogah;4234691 said:
Hearing a first hand account of anal rape told to you by the very individual who personally witnessed it does not count as having "heard a rumor." :bang2:

So, in your opinion, what more should Joe have done, and how much of an effect did he have on the entire situation?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Does everybody pretty much know this?

Because I went to PSU, and that's why i roll my eyes at your every post.

That's why 99% of the people in this thread can't take you with a grain of salt.

You're too busy worried about your alma mater's football program and can't see past the dirt.'

I've talked to people that are PSU grads about this. I've been on PSU's campus plenty of times (dated a girl who went there). Their perception of Paterno is very different from the meager old man with no power that you present.

So, I'm supposed to believe you, but not them. Even though they attended the school.

YR

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
DOUBLE WING;4234742 said:
You must not have spent much time around the athletic programs then. I went to PSU for two years and wrote for the Daily Collegian and I laugh at anyone who says Paterno isn't at LEAST 1A on the list of most powerful men in State College.

Football program.. he was 1A.

Outisde the football program.. he didn't control pretty much anything.

What decisions was he making outside the football program? Do tell former Collegian writer?

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
this entire situation has very little to do at all with the football program, as Sandusky wasn't even associated with it or employed by them at all when these incidents took place.
Sandusky was employed by Penn St. in both 1998 and 1999 when an incident was reported by two mothers of young boys associated with Sandusky via his 2nd Mile Foundation.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4234750 said:
Football program.. he was 1A.

Outisde the football program.. he didn't control pretty much anything.

What decisions was he making outside the football program? Do tell former Collegian writer?

Well let's put it this [/quote]

No, of course

Rogah

Reaction score
Board of Trustees going to issue a statement at 10:00 PM tonight. So maybe Paterno won't make it to Saturday after all...

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4234747 said:
That's why 99% of the people in this thread can't take you with a grain of salt.

You're too busy worried about your alma mater's football program and can't see past the dirt.'

I've talked to people that are PSU grads about this. I've been on PSU's campus plenty of times (dated a girl who went there). Their perception of Paterno is very different from the meager old man with no power that you present.

So, I'm supposed to believe you, but not them. Even though they attended the school.

YR

First of all, as i've stated several times now but you don't seem to get through your thickness.. this whole incident has very little to do with the football program at PSU. It involves a man who was not employed by any part of the football program at PSU raping little boys. The fact that you continue to reference PSU football when talking about this, shows me what your agenda is, and its not rationally discussing the incidents that occured involving Sandusky and his evilness.

Honestly, this has much more to do with university administrators.. yet all we here about is Joe Paterno and PSU football in the media. You ride that wave.

Secondly, there are more than a few in this dicussion who agree with points im making.. people who are obviously thinking rationally about the big picture of what happened, and not trying to single out Joe Paterno and what he might have known or didn't know and what he should have done differently, etc, etc..

THE CRIMINAL HERE IS JERRY SANDUSKY. Some seem to have forgotten this.

Third, i attended and graduated PSU after 4 years at University Park. I can safely tell you that while Paterno was top dog in the football program, no doubt.. he didn't make many decisions at all relating to matters outside the football program. Anyone who tells you he did is just as big a fool as you.

..and this is definitely NOT a football issue.. just so we all are clear.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4234733 said:
Go on the radio. PLENTY of radio hosts are blasting McQueary for his lack of action.
Good and I hope it gets printed on webpages too. This guy utterly failed this young man and deserves whatever comes his way.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
DOUBLE WING;4234757 said:
Well let's put it this way, one small example of hundreds - how about the near-impossibility of getting a quote from a faculty member about ANY of the athletic programs unless it was approved by him. Especially anything related to budgetary matters. Approvals for media access to certain events, not all athletic related. Your idea that he lives in his little football bubble and has no say anywhere else is one of the funniest things I've ever heard. A random student who goes about his daily business on campus wouldn't know the difference. I did.

That's funny, because i attended numerous PSU basketball games and got many quotes from a wide range of coaches, faculty members, students, and players about the programs, the games, and pretty much any topic i had a question about. Funnier yet, was that Joe was nowhere to be found at any of these games and no one ever bothered to ask me before i would go around with questions if i had gotten my special "JoePa global clearance".

Strange huh?

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
I am a PSU fan, but Joe didn't do enough. McQuery didn't do enough. The Janitors didn't do enough. PSU administration from the AD to the President didn't do enough.

McQuery should have called the police when he saw it happen. At the very least he should have made his presence known to stop the rape.

When he reported it to Joe, Joe should have called the state police.

When it was reported to the AD and Schultz, the state police should have been called.

The Janitor should have spoken up to stop the assualt. When he reported it to his supervisor the state police should have been called.

Honestly, I have wanted Paterno gone for years. I think he will be gone after this weekends game. Finish out the season with Hall or Bradley and hire Meyer for next year.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Paterno:

"This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

Don't be so down on yourself, Joe. You did all you were "legally" required to do by dropping the onus onto someone else and walking away.

Joe Paterno-His-Back-On-Rape-Victims

And I love how he says, "with the benefit of hindsight".

As if during the whole thing was going down he couldn't decipher whether or not to do more. Like this is some huge grey area where the call to action could be reasonably argued against.

I wonder how far it would have had to go before he would have actually done more.

The fact that he feels the need to announce a resignation or "retirement" (or saving one's own ***) prior to the end of the season just reeks of a sense of self-guilt.

Had he taken the correct course of action when he first knew (Lord only knows when that was), just think of how much more respect and praise he would have received at the time and thereafter.

Rogah

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4234760 said:
First of all, as i've stated several times now but you don't seem to get through your thickness.. this whole incident has very little to do with the football program at PSU.
Nah... just the fact that a former football coach at Penn State, who was a close friend and confidante of the current football head coach, it involved a graduate assistant involved with the football program and after telling his dad, they told the current football head coach at Penn State.

Yeah, but other than that it has nothing to do with the football program at the university.
RoyTheHammer;4234760 said:
THE CRIMINAL HERE IS JERRY SANDUSKY. Some seem to have forgotten this.
The fact that you seem to think there's only one criminal shows you don't really know what you are talking about.

Rogah

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4234745 said:
So, in your opinion, what more should Joe have done, and how much of an effect did he have on the entire situation?
Considering there had already been a history of the same individual molesting boys, he SHOULD HAVE GONE TO THE POLICE (which I have stated time and again).

The "effect" he had by taking part in the coverup is a child rapist got away with his crimes - well, until this year that is.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
2233boys;4234768 said:
I am a PSU fan, but Joe didn't do enough. McQuery didn't do enough. The Janitors didn't do enough. PSU administration from the AD to the President didn't do enough.

McQuery should have called the police when he saw it happen. At the very least he should have made his presence known to stop the rape.

When he reported it to Joe, Joe should have called the state police.

When it was reported to the AD and Schultz, the state police should have been called.

The Janitor should have spoken up to stop the assualt. When he reported it to his supervisor the state police should have been called.

Honestly, I have wanted Paterno gone for years. I think he will be gone after this weekends game. Finish out the season with Hall or Bradley and hire Meyer for next year.
I agree with all you've said here.

Rogah

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4234747 said:

Personally I think it's shameful the way the Penn State community has rallied around Paterno like he is some sort of victim here. Of course, I heard there was also a demonstration demanding they fire the current admins, so apparently they don't teach irony at Penn State.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4234767 said:
That's funny, because i attended numerous PSU basketball games and got many quotes from a wide range of coaches, faculty members, students, and players about the programs, the games, and pretty much any topic i had a question about. Funnier yet, was that Joe was nowhere to be found at any of these games and no one ever bothered to ask me before i would go around with questions if i had gotten my special "JoePa global clearance".

Strange huh?

Writing this from my phone so excuse any lame grammar/spelling.

No, not strange at all. I don't expect that you have to get clearance for every quote you get when covering a beat. And you don't need 'clearence' for every single thing that goes in print, Never said that. Way to take things completely out of context.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
casmith07;4233914 said:
But you have to imagine the second and third order effects of that. If an old man that sweeps the floors and takes out the trash is that afraid he might lose his job...that's not good.

I got back to this thread late. :)

I"m with you that it's also an unfortunate situation for them in this regard. But stacked against the prospect of not doing enough in a case of possible child rape, there's no question what should have been done.

Good and decent people have to do everything and anything they can do in a situation like this, and to hell with the consequences. No excuse for failing to do so is acceptable.

It's a failure of the highest order as human beings for everybody who had knowledge of what might be happening in this case, and everyone that can be proved to have been aware of the circumstances should face the highest civil and criminal penalties available under the law.

Paterno's reputation is destroyed by this, as it should be, but that's of no significance anyway at this point.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Rogah;4234774 said:
Considering there had already been a history of the same individual molesting boys, he SHOULD HAVE GONE TO THE POLICE (which I have stated time and again).

The "effect" he had by taking part in the coverup is a child rapist got away with his crimes - well, until this year that is.

Sigh.. im pretty much done debating anything with you because its pointless, but just to answer your last post here, there had NOT been a history of the same individual molesting boys when this incident occured.

There was a report that he had showered with a young boy, but it was never proven that this actually happened and Sandusky never got so much as a warning for it.

Also, out of all the incidents that took place, the information that Joe received of one of the incidents he went immediately to his superior and the head of campus police with.. if he wanted to cover it up, he would have never have went right to them and told them what he had been told.

The only thing you've ever said that i'll agree with is that he should have gone to police.. which he sort of did anyway.. but he could've gone to the state police or CPS.

(Not that they would have done anything this time either.. stupid morons.)