Penn State Sex Abuse Scandal (Indictment Post #144, "Pimping" Allegations Post #442)

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4232174 said:
Who's going to fire him right now? The president of the university and the athletic director are both under more heat than Joe is right now for their roles in the situation.

The prosecution seems to think Joe did what he should have done, they don't seem to think the same about either of the other two men i just mentioned.

Legality has nothing to do with it.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4232176 said:
And there probably will be some accountability issues because of that error.

Depending on what he actually knew, yes i'd say there could be.. because he made a huge error in moral judgement. At the same time, it was a long time friend of his and he reported him.

Im not arguing that Joe should have a clean conscious right now, but at the same time, calling him selfish is a bit much. If anything, knowing how much Penn State meant to him, he wanted to protect the reputation of the school more than he gave a **** about his own legacy.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4232187 said:
Legality has nothing to do with it.

It does, when you're asking why he hasn't been fired yet.. and the people that are in the position to fire him are the ones in the most hot water.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Joe Paterno would be selfish because he would have helped keep this story under wraps by doing the bare minimum legally to protect himself. THAT is selfish when you have 10 year old boys getting molested.

And I believe the motive for trying to keep this under wraps is clear.

To protect his legacy as a coach along with the reputation of football program.

He chose to protect his legacy and the football program's reputation over getting a child molestor...whose acts were escalating in their heinous nature.

THAT is selfish. And THAT is being a coward.

Anybody who knows anything knows that child molestors don't have a '1 time lapse in judgment.' They WILL do it again. You don't have to be a criminologist to figure that one out.

And that's what Sandusky did. And the crimes got worse and worse.

YR

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4232191 said:
It does, when you're asking why he hasn't been fired yet.. and the people that are in the position to fire him are the ones in the most hot water.

Doesn't Penn State have a Board that can make this decision?

YR

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Rogah;4232178 said:
When we're talking about such a heinous violation of the law, telling your boss is not really considered "reporting the incident". It isn't like they caught some 19 year old football player with a beer in his hand. This goes WAY above and beyond the type of incident you want to keep in house.

It seems like it is according to Pennsylvania authorities.. you want to go tell them they're wrong?

I feel like there's a reason Joe isn't being indicted on any charges and other Penn State officials are.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
How could Mike McQuery have stayed at Penn State after seeing what he saw? How could he continue coaching there for another nine years? How could he just stand by while Sandusky was at practice? How could he share the same halls that Sandusky apparently STILL roams to work out in? I would have been on the first train out of that place.

This whole story is just SO. FREAKING. BIZARRE. From top to bottom this is just about the dirtiest, seediest sports related story I've ever heard.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4232193 said:
Joe Paterno would be selfish because he would have helped keep this story under wraps by doing the bare minimum legally to protect himself. THAT is selfish when you have 10 year old boys getting molested.

And I believe the motive for trying to keep this under wraps is clear.

To protect his legacy as a coach along with the reputation of football program.

He chose to protect his legacy and the football program's reputation over getting a child molestor...whose acts were escalating in their heinous nature.

THAT is selfish. And THAT is being a coward.

Anybody who knows anything knows that child molestors don't have a '1 time lapse in judgment.' They WILL do it again. You don't have to be a criminologist to figure that one out.

And that's what Sandusky did. And the crimes got worse and worse.

YR

You're assuming alot in your posts in this thread.. that's what i disagree with. Nothing else. You don't know what Joe knew.. none of us does. The fact that he's not being charged and other PSU officials are leads me to believe that he didn't know as much as some of us are assuming.

You're also assuming alot in suggesting he covered it up because he cared more about his own personal legacy than little children being raped. That's a huge stretch too and just plain silliness.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4232195 said:
Doesn't Penn State have a Board that can make this decision?

YR

I would think, and hope, that the board would have more pressing issues right now than worrying about the football coach who isn't being charged at all in this investigation.

Such as, maybe what to do with the people that are being charged in the incident, and what to do about the head of the entire university, Graham Spanier.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4232200 said:
It seems like it is according to Pennsylvania authorities.. you want to go tell them they're wrong?

I will gladly tell them they are wrong.

Anybody who had any knowledge and let it continue is in the wrong. I don't care about legally. You are one sick person if you know that these kind of acts are going on. I'm sorry but I don't excuse anyone who had knowledge. They are all selfish *******s.

Also the GA is biggest coward of them all other than the molester himself. He witnessed this going on, instead he goes to his office, calls his dad (why not call the freaking police), and then tells Paterno the NEXT day! And this GA continues to work at this university with a good job? Hmm, was someone else also told to be quiet?

Again anybody who knew is at fault here. Legally or not. I don't understand how someone could just let this sort of thing keep happening. All to protect their precious football program. Unbelievable. Humanity sucks.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4232191 said:

No it doesn't. Are you saying he has to do something illegal to get fired?

DOUBLE WING;4232204 said:
How could Mike McQuery have stayed at Penn State after seeing what he saw? How could he continue coaching there for another nine years? How could he just stand by while Sandusky was at practice? How could he share the same halls that Sandusky apparently STILL roams to work out in? I would have been on the first train out of that place.

This whole story is just SO. FREAKING. BIZARRE. From top to bottom this is just about the dirtiest, seediest sports related story I've ever heard.

No kidding. I'd have nightmares for months if I left immediately, never mind actually going back to work there every day. And double never mind seeing that scumbag on the premises ever again.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4232206 said:
You're assuming alot in your posts in this thread.. that's what i disagree with. Nothing else. You don't know what Joe knew.. none of us does. The fact that he's not being charged and other PSU officials are leads me to believe that he didn't know as much as some of us are assuming.

You're also assuming alot in suggesting he covered it up because he cared more about his own personal legacy than little children being raped. That's a huge stretch too and just plain silliness.

How is that a huge stretch? Paterno is Penn State, and these things are happening in his locker room and at Bowl games? Please, Paterno had to know.

Rogah

Reaction score

I feel like there's a reason Joe isn't being indicted on any charges and other Penn State officials are.
There's still plenty of time to hand out more indictments so I wouldn't be so sure Paterno is free and clear in that regard. The other Penn State officials indicted are accused of perjury and failure to report. For now, Paterno's "I know nussink - NUSSINK!" defense has thus far helped him avoid any formal charges but I wouldn't be surprised if we see some coming somewhere down the line.

Rogah

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4232206 said:

It no more "silly" than the fact that a graduate assistant saw a 60 year old man forcibly raping a 10 year old boy and did nothing about it but tell his father. Or that the father's response wasn't "let's tell the police" but rather "let's tell coach Joe."

(And my above statement here is taken from the grand jury's Finding of Fact so AFAIC that's proof beyond a reasonable doubt in my eyes).

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score

C'mon Roy... you know the answer to that as well as everyone else...

He's JOE PATERNO...

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
You are have your opinions, some of which i agree with, but the bottom line to me is everybody is very quick to judge an 85 year old man who they think knows everything and anything that is going on just because he "is" PSU, when in reality he hasn't been anything more than a figurehead for over a decade now and i seriously doubt his mental condition is in tip top shape. Guy is almost 90 years old, it wouldn't suprise me that he wasn't aware of alot of what was going on, and again.. none of us has the information that's relevant to judge the man here, i don't expect that to stop some though.

He did know of at least the one incident though, and although he reported it, im also shocked and confused as to why he didn't take it further. I would love to know what information he actually had and why he didn't take it to the police. Saying he had all the information and he didn't go to police because of his own personal legacy is just straight bs though.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4232246 said:
You are have your opinions, some of which i agree with, but the bottom line to me is everybody is very quick to judge an 85 year old man who they think knows everything and anything that is going on just because he "is" PSU, when in reality he hasn't been anything more than a figurehead for over a decade now and i seriously doubt his mental condition is in tip top shape. Guy is almost 90 years old, it wouldn't suprise me that he wasn't aware of alot of what was going on, and again.. none of us has the information that's relevant to judge the man here, i don't expect that to stop some though.

He did know of at least the one incident though, and although he reported it, im also shocked and confused as to why he didn't take it further. I would love to know what information he actually had and why he didn't take it to the police. Saying he had all the information and he didn't go to police because of his own personal legacy is just straight bs though.

From what I read, he reported to Curly and Shultz... they are all three saying the same thing but only two are getting busted...

I have no vendetta against Paterno, in fact if you've been keeping up with the whole thread, I mention where my father greatly admired him and I was raised to do the same...

It's a sad situation, but he obviously did the bare minimum required of him in this situation...

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
My assumptions are slight in nature. One of the issues we face in our society is that is has been accepted as fact that you cannot prosecute on circumstantial evidence. That we need to have 'concrete proof', usually in the way of DNA testing, to prosecute. Which is false. Cases get tried and people get convincted on circumstantial evidence all of the time.

The point being...of course I have some assumptions. But, that doesn't mean my assumptions are illogical or wrong. Nor does it mean that we can't deem the extent as to what Joe Pa did.

I can only assume that Joe Pa knew about this in 1998 because:

1. Sandusky was the prized D-Coordinator and was publicly stated to be the heir apparent.

2. The DA's office knew about the incident and decided to not prosecute.

3. It's being alleged that Joe Pa. said 'you will never be the head coach here' and Sandusky...the prized D-Coordinator and heir apparent, suddenly retired.

Even then...I'm still giving Paterno the benefit of the doubt, although I find it very odd that he would allow him to be a member of the program after retirement.

But once ANOTHER incident happened in 2002, all bets are off.

Paterno knew.

He did the bare minimum which comes off like just enough to protect himself.

Paterno said that McQuery was *visibly* shakened when he reported it.

If you don't think Paterno knew about that in 1998 and then wasn't sure if the 2002 incident was true, then I've got beachfront property in Kansas that you may be interested in purchasing.

YR

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Matt Millen got all shook up on ESPN earlier.

Skip to about 4:00

[youtube]3bc4raMo4QU#t=240s[/youtube]

Rogah

Reaction score
First of all, I think it's pretty insulting to play the "doddering old man" card. There's no evidence that Paterno is suffering from any form of dementia - and if there was, then that's a whole other matter where we should investigate why such a man is still coaching a major college football program. This incident is not like he can't remember where he put his car keys; these allegations ain't some crap you just forget.

Second of all, we're talking about incidents from roughly 10 years ago. So instead of being "almost 90", we're talking about him when he was 75.
Telling your boss is not considered "reporting it."