Per Schefter & Rapoport: Linehan and Marinelli in Demand

CoachHodnett

Play-calling is an Art
Reaction score
@RapSheet: Interesting, Scott Linehan signed a 1-year deal when he joined #Cowboys. Bet him on himself. Should be in demand after his work in Dallas

@RapSheet: As for Rod Marinelli, he signed a 2-year deal with #Cowboys. Worth watching the Lovie Smith connection going forward if talks don’t progress

@AdamSchefter: Raiders requested permission to interview Cowboys passing game coordinator Scott Linehan, per source.

JPostSam

Reaction score
it's hard to turn down a head coaching job, but i hope jerry signs these guys to extensions. this team could be even better the next two-three years.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@RapSheet: Interesting, Scott Linehan signed a 1-year deal when he joined #Cowboys. Bet him on himself. Should be in demand after his work in Dallas

@RapSheet: As for Rod Marinelli, he signed a 2-year deal with #Cowboys. Worth watching the Lovie Smith connection going forward if talks don’t progress

@AdamSchefter: Raiders requested permission to interview Cowboys passing game coordinator Scott Linehan, per source.

I'm sure Linehan signing a one-year contract before this season had more to do with Garrett and Marinelli having one more year on their current contracts, than it did "betting on himself".

VThokie7

Reaction score
it's hard to turn down a head coaching job, but i hope jerry signs these guys to extensions. this team could be even better the next two-three years.

In this case it would be losing them to coordinator or position coach jobs. I can't imagine Linehan finding a better situation or more money than Jerry could throw at him. So I feel good there. But money can't buy loyalty. Hopefully the coordinator role and running the defense is enough to keep Rod.

birdwells1

Reaction score
I'm sure Linehan signing a one-year contract before this season had more to do with Garrett and Marinelli having one more year on their current contracts, than it did "betting on himself".

Suppose Linehan signed a 3 year deal and this season did go well, wouldn't Jerry be on the hook for his contract if he'd fire the whole staff? Or at least he would've got a buyout.

Dwight

Reaction score
I recalled a poster mention that if Jason Garrett stays Rod and Scott stay as well.

I don't see them leaving especially with a young team and Head Coach that they like.

d_dub88

Reaction score
More worried about keeping McClay in the organization. Coordinators are always at risk to leave from season to season.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I get the feeling we keep both honestly. With rod I undestand the loyalty issue, but what about the loyalty to the Cowboys? Over the past couple seasons don't you think he's developed a loyalty to this staff, this front office, and these players? Can't see him taking a position coach job in Tampa.

With linehan I think he becomes our official oc next year, since Callahan is likely on his way out. maybe he gets offered a head coaching spot, but there are only a few spots up for grabs and a lot of big names out there. I would be a little surprised to see him leave.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if Linehan got a head coaching job again.

Then again, stranger things have happened.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Suppose Linehan signed a 3 year deal and this season did go well, wouldn't Jerry be on the hook for his contract if he'd fire the whole staff? Or at least he would've got a buyout.

Yes, he would have. That's why the Cowboys were looking for an OC for one year. Worst case scenario, they could find a new head coach next season and he could bring his own staff.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score

I bet on Reality because he always delivers.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score

Whatever Crappaport. We got a game to win today.