Per Schefter & Rapoport: Linehan and Marinelli in Demand

Gaede

Reaction score
Ugh, I am alright with Marinelli going because we are (hopefully) going to invest in more resources on D.

Linehan has been awesome here though and I'd hate to see him go. If he were to go, that would be 3 playcallers in 3 years (Garrett, Callahan, Linehan). I imagine we'd go after another playcaller though instead of giving the reins back to Garrett.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
I'm gonna see how the team performs tonight before I worry about th coming back.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Suppose Linehan signed a 3 year deal and this season did go well, wouldn't Jerry be on the hook for his contract if he'd fire the whole staff? Or at least he would've got a buyout.

The GM generally hires and fires the coaches although of course Dallas is a tad strange at times. Generally, the HC says this is my guy and the GM makes it happen. Garrett had one year so most of the staff was going to mirror AMAP. Some asst coaches are permanent fixtures that convey as in Pittsburg.

I'm not certain I'd want to go to Oakland unless they gave me 5-6 years but I guess you have to jump on a HC gig. Linehan and Marinelli have had their chances. Personally, I'd stay in Dallas. I suspect this train will eventually go where most want to be.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
Can Crappaport ever talk about game day topics on...you know, GAME DAY?

"Is a planet-shattering meteor heading our way in 2015? Stay tuned during this New Years special."

Gets old.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Like most men I have no real say where my wife really goes unless she happens to want to go where I'm going; which lucky for me she does. I'd be pretty upset if the Admiral took another job. Ta shi wo de ming. Lei e la vita.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The Smith-Marinelli link is real. However, Smith isn't going to fire Leslie Frazier. I doubt Rod turns us down anyway. Linehan is in position for a nice raise. Don't see how he gets HC consideration at this point

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are a lot of vacancies right now. Money talks. Nothing would surprise me. Having said that, I'm thinking about Detroit right now and Detroit ONLY.

nablives

Reaction score
Linehan may leave, but the Raiders? I'm under the impression he's a reasonably intelligent guy. If so, I don't know why he would want to go there.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Please take my wife instead

I'll throw mine in there to. And at the rate my daughter is costing me money we could talk about her going with her mother.

Nice. I like how Dave is one upping you monkey by throwing in the daughter.

I'm sure this guy will enjoy having them:
20130603-162728.jpg

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Nice. I like how Dave is one upping you monkey by throwing in the daughter.

I'm sure this guy will enjoy having them:
20130603-162728.jpg

Not sure if I should laugh or retract. At the least my daughter offer.:)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@RapSheet: Interesting, Scott Linehan signed a 1-year deal when he joined #Cowboys. Bet him on himself. Should be in demand after his work in Dallas

@RapSheet: As for Rod Marinelli, he signed a 2-year deal with #Cowboys. Worth watching the Lovie Smith connection going forward if talks don’t progress

@AdamSchefter: Raiders requested permission to interview Cowboys passing game coordinator Scott Linehan, per source.

I guess you never know with the Raiders; although, I thought they had a legit GM now that Al is dead.

Linehan took his first NFL job as the offensive coordinator/ wide receivers coach with the Minnesota Vikings in 2002. After three seasons in Minneapolis, Linehan served in a similar capacity with the Miami Dolphins in 2005 under Nick Saban, then was hired as head coach by the St. Louis Rams on January 19, 2006.[15]

Linehan inherited a team in transition. Most of the Rams' stars from earlier in the decade had gone elsewhere, and those who were still there had noticeably lost a step. Nonetheless, Linehan's tenure started out on a promising note, as the Rams went 4–2 in their first six games. However, a four-game losing streak in October and November effectively ended any chance of making the playoffs. Despite this slump, the NFC West was so weak that year that while they finished 8–8, missing the division title by a single game. However, the Rams regressed to 3–13 in his second season. Years of questionable draft and free-agent acquisitions caught up with the team, and the season degenerated into a fiasco due to a rash of injuries to the offensive line. The season was also marked by disputes with star players such as Steven Jackson, Torry Holt, and, most notoriously, quarterback Marc Bulger. Holt and Jackson openly feuded with Linehan on the sidelines during games. The easygoing Linehan didn't discipline them, leading to criticism that he wasn't willing to assert his authority.

The bottom fell out in 2008. After an 0–3 start in which the Rams were outscored 116–29, a significant departure from the days of "The Greatest Show on Turf, "Linehan benched Bulger in favor of Trent Green for their game against the Buffalo Bills. It did not work; the Rams lost 35–14 after allowing 25 unanswered points in the second half. Linehan was fired hours later, tallying an 11–25 record in his 36 games as head coach.

In regards to Marinelli, Tampa's DC Leslie Frazier was obviously NOT fired. I don't see why Marinelli would take a demotion. Jerry will probably keep Kiffin employed if Marinelli stays. I doubt Tampa's ownership would pay Kiffin to hang around.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Linehan may leave, but the Raiders? I'm under the impression he's a reasonably intelligent guy. If so, I don't know why he would want to go there.

I bet Delrio goes to the Raiders.