Per Schefter & Rapoport: Linehan and Marinelli in Demand

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
The Smith-Marinelli link is real. However, Smith isn't going to fire Leslie Frazier. I doubt Rod turns us down anyway. Linehan is in position for a nice raise. Don't see how he gets HC consideration at this point

This is about how I see it.

lostar2009

Reaction score
@RapSheet: Interesting, Scott Linehan signed a 1-year deal when he joined #Cowboys. Bet him on himself. Should be in demand after his work in Dallas

@RapSheet: As for Rod Marinelli, he signed a 2-year deal with #Cowboys. Worth watching the Lovie Smith connection going forward if talks don’t progress

@AdamSchefter: Raiders requested permission to interview Cowboys passing game coordinator Scott Linehan, per source.

There is no word down here in Tampa for a new DC. If anything they looking for a new OC. The D was the only bright spot for Tampa last year.

perrykemp

Reaction score
The Smith-Marinelli link is real. However, Smith isn't going to fire Leslie Frazier. I doubt Rod turns us down anyway. Linehan is in position for a nice raise. Don't see how he gets HC consideration at this point

Abe: Why wouldn't teams consider Linehan for HC?

He is a bright offensive mind. He has shown he can lead successful offenses that are both balanced as well as passing dominated.

Linehan's offenses have ranked as follows (by yardage) the past 4 years:
  • 2011 (Detroit) - 5
  • 2012 (Detroit) - 3
  • 2013 (Detroit) - 6
  • 2014 (Dallas) - 7
Yes, it was ugly for him at a HC in St. Louis -- but let's be realistic, their QB situation was terrible.

I have to disagree with you -- Linehan is EXACTLY the kind of 2nd-time around OC type that teams looks for. He took his lumps at a HC and had to pay the price. He went back to being a OC and was extremely successful at it, and now now he is viewed a HC candidate again.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I think they'll both stick around. Neither is going to get a head coach nod, nor will they get more money or potential somewhere else. Linehan has one of the top units in the league and Marinelli is about to get a whole draft to himself. They'd both be crazy to leave. Pay the men, Jerry.

All that said, I wouldn't mind getting another defensive coach in here that has a little more experience with hybrid looks. With all the talented linebackers we might have next season (if they stay healthy), we could really be creative.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Well since there is no salary cap on coaches, I fully expect Jerry to break the bank on these guys as maybe the highest paid coordinators in football.

Up to them whether that is good enough or they want more as a head coach.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The contract status makes it MORE likely they return.
Jerry will give everyone new deals which is the easiest way to pay them well and reward them for a great season.
Considering they blew the doors off his expectations and got him a home playoff game you can bet he's willing to pay.

Rod has no desire to be a head coach and Linehan is unlikely to get another nod after one year here.
I expect both to get pay raises and remain where they are.

The hot head coaching guys are well know: Todd Bowles, Adam Gase et al.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
The Raiders position has to be attractive to Linehan especially with the stellar play of Derek Carr.

mldardy

Reaction score
The Raiders position has to be attractive to Linehan especially with the stellar play of Derek Carr.

Stellar play? Not really. And who the heck would want to be head coach of the Raiders. They have a new coach every year. Jerry needs to lock these guys up during the offseason and I think he will.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Linehan gets the OC promotion with Callahan leaving
And Rod is staying unless Lovie comes calling

Which to me is one of the weirdest bromances I've heard about.

Ever

mldardy

Reaction score
Linehan gets the OC promotion with Callahan leaving
And Rod is staying unless Lovie comes calling

Which to me is one of the weirdest bromances I've heard about.

Ever

I don't think Rod leaves even if Lovie calls. Tampa has nothing going on right now and Lovie might have 1 more year to get it turned around if he doesn't he and his staff are gone.

ringmaster

Reaction score
I'd imagine that's why the Raiders would want to look at Linehan. He seems to bring out the best in QBs.
If Oakland was to hire him he would have a tremendous impact on Carr but if I'm Linehan I would definitely stay here and finish what this team is building who is positioning themselves for a SB maybe not this year but down the road Oakland is no where near that now.

Wood

Reaction score
Dallas has Matt Eberflus to take over if Marinelli leaves. But Dallas has noone to take over if Linehan leaves.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, I hope the Cowboys playoff run prevents them from being able to pursue other opportunities.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
As long as Garret is there I am fine .. to me he is the mastermind (along with support from Stephen Jones) for all this…

Not that JG is there yet, but Bill Bellichick lost a lot off coaches over the years but his team kept winning. Lesson is, keep the mastermind there and the rest will be taken care of….

:cool:

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
I get the feeling we keep both honestly. With rod I undestand the loyalty issue, but what about the loyalty to the Cowboys? Over the past couple seasons don't you think he's developed a loyalty to this staff, this front office, and these players? Can't see him taking a position coach job in Tampa.

With linehan I think he becomes our official oc next year, since Callahan is likely on his way out. maybe he gets offered a head coaching spot, but there are only a few spots up for grabs and a lot of big names out there. I would be a little surprised to see him leave.

If lovie wants him, he's gone.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
@RapSheet: Interesting, Scott Linehan signed a 1-year deal when he joined #Cowboys. Bet him on himself. Should be in demand after his work in Dallas

@RapSheet: As for Rod Marinelli, he signed a 2-year deal with #Cowboys. Worth watching the Lovie Smith connection going forward if talks don’t progress

@AdamSchefter: Raiders requested permission to interview Cowboys passing game coordinator Scott Linehan, per source.

I remember reading that Linehan wasnt interesting in HC anymore. Either way i doubt he takes the raider job. Thats the worst job in sports