Per Schefter, Zeke deal to be done within 24 hours **merged**

Carson

Reaction score
So, if true, they stretched it out over 6 so he could have his ego stroked with "Avg. Per Year" Champ while only giving him the $40M guaranteed over 6. Sounds like this could be a great deal for all...………….

This. Excellent point

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Stephen's the moron that said Gurley is where they start.

giphy.gif

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
40 million guaranteed sounds like an could be good deal depending how it’s structured.

If that 40 million is at the front end of the deal. It makes the team can cut Zeke when he is about 28 years old if his production begins to decline, and not have any more money on the hook for the salary cap.

I would think his signing bonus would be between $24 million and $30 million on a six-year deal, so he'll automatically count $4 million or $5 million per year. That won't be a big deal on those last few years, though, when he'll probably be scheduled to count around $15 million against the cap each year. The team would save about $10 million in cap dollars each year to cut him then.

Gurley got almost $60 million total over four years, so $90 million over six isn't as bad as it is going to seem to some, especially if $40 million is guaranteed (compared to Gurley's $45 million). I'm curious to see if they work in roster bonuses like Gurley has in his deal.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Looks like the deal is done, too many different people reporting it so.

I said last week I felt he would be on the field for the Giants game, but I'm not saying "I told you so", unlike some here I never said that definitely that would be the case, just that's what I expected.

Nice to be right, but it's gotta work out in the long run, and that's still an unknown....

I've been saying all along that a deal would get done, because Zeke had leverage, unlike the deniers said. So stop trying to steal my humble brag thunder. Braggart!

DFWJC

Reaction score
I've been saying all along that a deal would get done, because Zeke had leverage, unlike the deniers said. So stop trying to steal my humble brag thunder. Braggart!
I assumed the deal would get done because both parties wanted it to.
Period

cern

Reaction score
if jerry were in charge of these negotiations, he would have already overpaid zeke long ago. everything happening has Stephen's stamp on it. jerry's the guy who got angry. jerry's the guy who said just last week he was preparing for zeke for later in the season while Stephen said it's just business as usual. Stephen's a grinder. he works out the details. jerry, as usual, likes to be out front and getting the attention.

glimmerman

Reaction score
So I guess no details yet. 6 years 90 million. He was probly wanting 16-17.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, if true, they stretched it out over 6 so he could have his ego stroked with "Avg. Per Year" Champ while only giving him the $40M guaranteed over 6. Sounds like this could be a great deal for all...………….

That's what it looks like at face value to me.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
40 million guaranteed sounds like an could be good deal depending how it’s structured.

If that 40 million is at the front end of the deal. It makes the team can cut Zeke when he is about 28 years old if his production begins to decline, and not have any more money on the hook for the salary cap.

That is about the structure of the Gurley deal. Keep in mind that Gurley hasn't even started his extension years yet but it is structured so that the Rams have a decent out with a minimal cap hit after year 2 of the extension. Likely it is about 25 mill up front then some guaranteed salary in 19-21.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I assumed the deal would get done because both parties wanted it to.
Period

And JJ went through this before and what was the result when he didn't cut the deal before the season started? 0-2. Sure they won the SB that year, but were coming off a SB win, not the same situation. Think JJ didn't want to have to depend on lightning striking twice....