Peter King challenges the Jets to go after free agent Tyron Smith

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Looks like he's going to have some interest........the question is how much we are willing to pay to keep him.
Letting him gives us quite a bit of flex drafting our next OLinemen .......we can draft a LT and leave Tyler at LG or draft LG/C and move Tyler outside.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...n-mvp-ravens-lions-vs-cowboys-fmia-peter-king

8. I think year three is a good time to judge young football players. In fact, Jets coach Robert Salah said that early in 2020 first-round tackle Mekhi Becton’s career. Because of a couple of injuries, let’s give Becton a fourth year. He’s played 30 games now, including 15 starts this year at tackle, mostly on the left side. Becton leads NFL tackles this year with 16 penalties taken and 12 sacks allowed. He’s allowed a ghastly 50 quarterback pressures in 920 snaps played, per PFF. The Jets have seen enough of Becton, surely. I keep hearing of the prospect of the Jets chasing Davante Adams to add to the Aaron Rodgers Alumni society in 2024, but forget that. The Jets should go all-in on trying to lure free-agent-to-be Tyron Smith from Dallas. He’s 33, and he’s missed 34 starts over the past four years due to injury, but he’s been a brick wall in 12 starts at left tackle for the Cowboys this year. Because of his injury history, he won’t be a break-the-bank player—maybe two years, $30 million, with $18 million guaranteed—and the Jets could backstop him with a day-two tackle in the draft.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sorry jets, cowboys will get a cap friendly extension and we won't even backstop him with a day two draft pick cuz we have more important positions like TE and WR to replenish. We'll extend Biadasz too because, meh, close enough,,, strength is overrated.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
The same Peter King who urged them to go after AR? Unfortunately he is so old school at this point, Tyron is the furthest thing the team needs to protect the annointed behind Centre..

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Looks like he's going to have some interest........the question is how much we are willing to pay to keep him.
Letting him gives us quite a bit of flex drafting our next OLinemen .......we can draft a LT and leave Tyler at LG or draft LG/C and move Tyler outside.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...n-mvp-ravens-lions-vs-cowboys-fmia-peter-king

8. I think year three is a good time to judge young football players. In fact, Jets coach Robert Salah said that early in 2020 first-round tackle Mekhi Becton’s career. Because of a couple of injuries, let’s give Becton a fourth year. He’s played 30 games now, including 15 starts this year at tackle, mostly on the left side. Becton leads NFL tackles this year with 16 penalties taken and 12 sacks allowed. He’s allowed a ghastly 50 quarterback pressures in 920 snaps played, per PFF. The Jets have seen enough of Becton, surely. I keep hearing of the prospect of the Jets chasing Davante Adams to add to the Aaron Rodgers Alumni society in 2024, but forget that. The Jets should go all-in on trying to lure free-agent-to-be Tyron Smith from Dallas. He’s 33, and he’s missed 34 starts over the past four years due to injury, but he’s been a brick wall in 12 starts at left tackle for the Cowboys this year. Because of his injury history, he won’t be a break-the-bank player—maybe two years, $30 million, with $18 million guaranteed—and the Jets could backstop him with a day-two tackle in the draft.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Yeah, who doesn’t want to pair a 40-year old QB, coming off a major injury, with a 34-year old OT, who is often injured?

To the moon, baby.
the same team who signs a former Pro Bowl standout RB to a $9,000,000 contract to feed him the ball 67 times for a wee bit over 200 yards, lol

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Does Tyron even want to play outside of Dallas?

Why do I get the feeling he’s just playing out his contract before retiring?
Remember that early in his career he got ripped off by his family. I think he has recovered and doesn’t have to play just to get paid, but who knows.

Allegedly, the character in that Rock HBO TV show Ballers was based on Tyron Smith. The big Lineman who was losing money to hanger-ons.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
The cap bloodbath this offseason is going to be bad. Prepare for it. Dallas really can't get Dak's contract down that much and the extensions for other players have to get done.

Maybe Dallas will be better off without Pollard, Smith, Gallup, Biadasz, etc. We shall see. Hopefully they have a stellar draft.

1942willys

Reaction score
Remember that early in his career he got ripped off by his family. I think he has recovered and doesn’t have to play just to get paid, but who knows.

Allegedly, the character in that Rock HBO TV show Ballers was based on Tyron Smith. The big Lineman who was losing money to hanger-ons.
That was taken care of years ago. He of course does not talk about it but enough was leaked by his 'family' to show that he cut them off in like his second year as a pro.
So he is fine as regards money; as sharp a guy as he is I have no doubt he got a real good financial manager

It is so sad when your blood relations treat you like a piggy bank. I have seen that close at hand too many times to think it is rare.

1942willys

Reaction score
The cap bloodbath this offseason is going to be bad. Prepare for it. Dallas really can't get Dak's contract down that much and the extensions for other players have to get done.

Maybe Dallas will be better off without Pollard, Smith, Gallup, Biadasz, etc. We shall see. Hopefully they have a stellar draft.
Pollard is not worth it; as has been said many times you can get as good with a 4th rd draft pick any more; or even a 5th
RB is one of the easiest transitions there is going from college to NFL if you take a back from one of the major programs
Biadasz has not progressed; if anything he has regressed in run blocking. No more.
Gallup definitely should be gone
Tyron? He is still a top LT when healthy. Frankly he would be a great Swing tackle. Especially now with questions about whether Steele can come back. Tyron started out as a RT before replacing Free at LT and was very good. IT will take him some time to get used to working the other side of the line but he would be a TOP RT when he does. Of course there is the injury problems which is why he would be best at Swing Tackle.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
Sweet, Instead of him just retiring, or us shelling out bucks to fill an IR slot for 3/4 of the season, we get a compensatory pick.

Plankton

Reaction score
Is this a player option? Could have sworn I read the news they restructured his contract in offseason and extended him?
No, he's a free agent. The 2024 and 2025 seasons were void years. The Cowboys will have a 6M dead cap hit next year for what was left bonus wise on Smith's contract.