Peter King challenges the Jets to go after free agent Tyron Smith

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Dallas needs to re-sign Tyron on a one year, team friendly deal with the realization he is going to miss anywhere from five-eight games.

And they need to draft a LT of the future assuming they keep Tyler at guard.

lwehlers

Reaction score
it would be great to keep him next year but that is the way the system works. need to move on with a cheaper and younger player. well maybe not much cheaper hopefully we can draft a left tackle and get four years at a good contract.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Cook? The Jets paid Cook that much? So many wannabe GMs here wanted Jerry to sign RB Cook.
Dalvin Cook signed a one year contract with the New York Jets worth $7 million with $5.8 million guaranteed. Cook can earn $1.2 million through per gameday active roster bonuses, and $4.72 million through per game 53 man active roster bonuses. Additional $1.62 million is available through performance incentives. Not sure where this will end up by the end of the year

bigdsgirl

Reaction score
The cap bloodbath this offseason is going to be bad. Prepare for it. Dallas really can't get Dak's contract down that much and the extensions for other players have to get done.

Maybe Dallas will be better off without Pollard, Smith, Gallup, Biadasz, etc. We shall see. Hopefully they have a stellar draft.
No the cowboys always give up draft capital for not so good players I'm not even sure they have more than 5 picks this year

Havic

Reaction score
Does Tyron even want to play outside of Dallas?

Why do I get the feeling he’s just playing out his contract before retiring?
I think he wants to stay in Dallas also. Dude has been a model player. Not once has he complained about his contract.

lkelly

Reaction score
He’s been good and I love all he’s done in Dallas and his attitude, but he’s a shell of his former self. I know this is a great pass rusher, but he’s not really a brick wall here:

If I saw that as a coach, I'd be tempted to instruct my useless Michigan TE to give him a nice chop block from the side while engaged with the OT, especially if it was third and long. That's some dirty stuff he's pulling.

RomoIsGod

Reaction score
Looks like he's going to have some interest........the question is how much we are willing to pay to keep him.
Letting him gives us quite a bit of flex drafting our next OLinemen .......we can draft a LT and leave Tyler at LG or draft LG/C and move Tyler outside.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...n-mvp-ravens-lions-vs-cowboys-fmia-peter-king

8. I think year three is a good time to judge young football players. In fact, Jets coach Robert Salah said that early in 2020 first-round tackle Mekhi Becton’s career. Because of a couple of injuries, let’s give Becton a fourth year. He’s played 30 games now, including 15 starts this year at tackle, mostly on the left side. Becton leads NFL tackles this year with 16 penalties taken and 12 sacks allowed. He’s allowed a ghastly 50 quarterback pressures in 920 snaps played, per PFF. The Jets have seen enough of Becton, surely. I keep hearing of the prospect of the Jets chasing Davante Adams to add to the Aaron Rodgers Alumni society in 2024, but forget that. The Jets should go all-in on trying to lure free-agent-to-be Tyron Smith from Dallas. He’s 33, and he’s missed 34 starts over the past four years due to injury, but he’s been a brick wall in 12 starts at left tackle for the Cowboys this year. Because of his injury history, he won’t be a break-the-bank player—maybe two years, $30 million, with $18 million guaranteed—and the Jets could backstop him with a day-two tackle in the draft.
Will Smith be a free agent?

cowboyed

Reaction score
Please do have the Jets pursue a trade for Tyron Smith and we'll also throw in a gurney.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Is Tyron Smith the best Jason Garrett draft pick? It has to be Smith, Frederick or Martin, no?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That was taken care of years ago. He of course does not talk about it but enough was leaked by his 'family' to show that he cut them off in like his second year as a pro.
So he is fine as regards money; as sharp a guy as he is I have no doubt he got a real good financial manager

It is so sad when your blood relations treat you like a piggy bank. I have seen that close at hand too many times to think it is rare.
Not surprised.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
Looks like he's going to have some interest........the question is how much we are willing to pay to keep him.
Letting him gives us quite a bit of flex drafting our next OLinemen .......we can draft a LT and leave Tyler at LG or draft LG/C and move Tyler outside.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...n-mvp-ravens-lions-vs-cowboys-fmia-peter-king

8. I think year three is a good time to judge young football players. In fact, Jets coach Robert Salah said that early in 2020 first-round tackle Mekhi Becton’s career. Because of a couple of injuries, let’s give Becton a fourth year. He’s played 30 games now, including 15 starts this year at tackle, mostly on the left side. Becton leads NFL tackles this year with 16 penalties taken and 12 sacks allowed. He’s allowed a ghastly 50 quarterback pressures in 920 snaps played, per PFF. The Jets have seen enough of Becton, surely. I keep hearing of the prospect of the Jets chasing Davante Adams to add to the Aaron Rodgers Alumni society in 2024, but forget that. The Jets should go all-in on trying to lure free-agent-to-be Tyron Smith from Dallas. He’s 33, and he’s missed 34 starts over the past four years due to injury, but he’s been a brick wall in 12 starts at left tackle for the Cowboys this year. Because of his injury history, he won’t be a break-the-bank player—maybe two years, $30 million, with $18 million guaranteed—and the Jets could backstop him with a day-two tackle in the draft.
Hes having a pro bowl year.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Please do.

The cowboys drafted a LT and the kid needs to be playing that position now.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Depending on what Tyron needs at this point I don’t see any reason to rush him off. He’s been a great player for us and never causes problems.

We have much bigger things to worry about with an already iffy OLine than sending off one of the few players that are playing well.

It’s odd, or not so odd, that Zack gets a complete pass despite holding out for more money and then being our third best lineman.

That’s the Zone for ya