Peter King challenges the Jets to go after free agent Tyron Smith

silvernblu

Reaction score
Love the guy, but can’t keep up this roller coaster and wondering if you’ll hear during the week he’s out due to “back issues”.

We could have had Tyler with two years experience now at LT.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Love the guy, but can’t keep up this roller coaster and wondering if you’ll hear during the week he’s out due to “back issues”.

We could have had Tyler with two years experience now at LT.
If Asim Richards or Matt Waletzko can develop into a good swing tackle, then keeping Tyron around is NOT a liability. He's still among the best in the NFL when healthy. If there is a good healthy backup, you keep moving forward, just like the Eagles did for years with Jason Peters. 80% of health Tyron Smith, plus 20% of a good back-up is better than 100% of a completely reliable JAG at Left Tackle. Recent drafts have proven that even high draft picks don't work out always - which is why Peter King wants the Jets to sign Tyron to replace 11th overall pick Mekhi Becton, who is 8-1/2 years younger than Tyron.

Lest anyone forget, the Giants have spent 3 top 11 picks on offensive tackles in the last 9 drafts. They used the 7th overall pick on Evan Neal in 2022, after spending 9th overall pick on Ereck Flowers in 2015. Flowers was a big bust, and was replaced by the Giants spending the 4th overall pick on Andrew Thomas in 2020. The Giants dumped Flowers. Thomas has allowed 12 penalties and 19 sacks since being drafted in 2020, and it seems like everyone in the league is still putting Evan Neal on skates when they rush the passer, with him allowing 12 penalties and 9 sacks in his first two seasons in the NFL

The big push by some fans to dump Tyron Smith, who has allowed just 1 sack and 3 penalties in 12 start this season, is just ridiculous. Yes, he's missed 4 games. So what? Back-fill with another player. The Cowboys plan was to draft and develop both Ball and Waletzko, both of whom have had injury issues. So they drafted another left tackle this past season in Asim Richards, and brought in a veteran back-up. The Cowboys are doing a good job in covering the Left Tackle spot. Even if it's not perfect, 75% of availability of Tyron Smith is still a great deal for the Cowboys - especially since they restructured his contract to a team friendly deal that only pays him starter pay for the games he actually starts.

Personally, since the.Cowboys have obviously moved Ball to Guard to back up Zach Martin, who may retire after next season, I still hope that either Waletzko or Richards develops into an almost starter quality swing tackle to back up Smith and Steele. I also think Steele will be much better his 2nd season back from injury in 2024 than he was this year. And for the remainder of the 2023 season, I have no issue with the Cowboys signing La'el Collins to the practice squad to be the swing tackle, if needed, during the playoffs. That costs only $12,000 per week - the PS pay, and is a good option for the Cowboys.

conner01

Reaction score
I know i just have seen how the cowboys operate. Knowing them theyd find it more important to get a TE
I think we are set at TE since McKeon will be leaving and shoonmaker will replace him. We have a ton of needs including tackle but picking in the 20’s it may be a tackle isn’t there worth the pick. Tyrone wouldn’t stop you from taking one since we never have both tackles every game but might keep them from reaching. We are likely to lose Gilmore so cb could be needed, Biadasz isn’t worth extending, Gallup I think will be cut, pollard is gone. We have more needs than picks so having the option of going any position rather than having to draft a position hopefully helps prevent reaching. And Tyrone would very likely take the same deal again which basically pays him for playing and doesn’t pay when not

Tussinman

Reaction score
Depending on what Tyron needs at this point I don’t see any reason to rush him off. He’s been a great player for us and never causes problems.

We have much bigger things to worry about with an already iffy OLine than sending off one of the few players that are playing well.

It’s odd, or not so odd, that Zack gets a complete pass despite holding out for more money and then being our third best lineman.

That’s the Zone for ya
Agreed. It's not his fault they've done a poor job of developing a replacement/backup tackle.

He's on pace (assuming we only play 1 playoff game) to play 14 games with only base rate + incentives around 10 mil. Getting a pro bowl level LT for less than a million a start is amazing.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
100% your opinion. Not that
And everyone knew unequivocally that Jerry was just trying to dissipate the exasperation of the fan base when it was said. It was obvious to anyone paying attention that Tyler’s skillset was much more in line with a guard in this league. You don’t move an all pro caliber guard out to be an average to slightly above average tackle!
I'm against it but I fully believe they intend to follow through with their commitment to have him play Tackle as they planned. He got better at tackle as the year progressed and it's typically much easier to find a usable guard such as TJ bass who stepped in ok.

Scotman

Reaction score
Pollard is not worth it; as has been said many times you can get as good with a 4th rd draft pick any more; or even a 5th
RB is one of the easiest transitions there is going from college to NFL if you take a back from one of the major programs
Biadasz has not progressed; if anything he has regressed in run blocking. No more.
Gallup definitely should be gone
Tyron? He is still a top LT when healthy. Frankly he would be a great Swing tackle. Especially now with questions about whether Steele can come back. Tyron started out as a RT before replacing Free at LT and was very good. IT will take him some time to get used to working the other side of the line but he would be a TOP RT when he does. Of course there is the injury problems which is why he would be best at Swing Tackle.
I just realized Tyron goes all the way back to Free. Jeez. He came in as a pup.

Scotman

Reaction score
I'm amazed everyone doesn't see the value in keeping Smith if a new contract is reasonable. Granted, he's older and misses games. But, without him, Tyler would have already been at LT. I honestly don't think you'd be hoping for a deep playoff run, either.

Tyron Smith is a guy I keep until it's impossible. He's a team-first guy and isn't halting anyone's progress. If someone is going to take his position, make them earn it and take it away from him. If I can get 8 games out of Smith next year, I want them.

exciter

Reaction score
100% your opinion. Not that

I'm against it but I fully believe they intend to follow through with their commitment to have him play Tackle as they planned. He got better at tackle as the year progressed and it's typically much easier to find a usable guard such as TJ bass who stepped in ok.
Eh, think it’s fairly certain Tyron is a priority resign. Wouldn’t surprise if they sign him to multiple prorated 1 yr contacts over the next couple of years. You just don’t let someone walk away that can consistently play on an island on that left side.