Peter King challenges the Jets to go after free agent Tyron Smith

Landryhat73

Reaction score
The cap bloodbath this offseason is going to be bad. Prepare for it. Dallas really can't get Dak's contract down that much and the extensions for other players have to get done.

Maybe Dallas will be better off without Pollard, Smith, Gallup, Biadasz, etc. We shall see. Hopefully they have a stellar draft.
Don’t think it going to be as bad as it looks. Can get to about $11 million above without touching Daks contract. My bet is Lamb, Parsons and Prescott all get extended with Smith getting a one year contract. Gallup, LVA, Anger will get cut - Steele, Diggs, Wilson get restructured. Still will need a starting center, corner (maybe Gilmore resigns) and defensive line depth. Not worried about RBs, think we will have plenty of options in draft and free agency.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Peter King is a joke. Hes reaching. Tyron is barely serviceable. Shows you how out of touch King is these days. Another example of the old guard grandstanding as if they know something special we fans dont. He hasn't been a real insider for 20 years. Jets will be paying him to retire, if he leaves and goes there.Dumb Idea by King.

Creeper

Reaction score
Why would other teams be interested in Tyron while many Cowboys fans are looking to get rid of him?

The Tyron thing is a true enigma. On the one hand, when he is healthy and he plays he is as stout as they come. He had his best season in years this year - when he played. Which is the other part of the problem - his availability. They shut him down during the week now and he still winds up on the injury report. He missed only 1 game this last time, but you could see he was not 100% against the Lions. So what do you do?

If you keep him you need a good backup plan. Edoga is not it. I don't think Waletzko is either. Maybe Asim Richards will be with another offseason to get stronger.

If you let him go, then you are forced to draft a LT at whatever position Dallas will be drafting, or you have to sign someone else which will not be cheap, or you have to let Waletzko and Richards battle it out next year and let the best man win, but still nowhere near Tyron's ability when he plays. They could move Tyler out to LT, then slide Bass in at LG. I think we will see what Bass has this week in Washington when he faces Jonathan Allen.

Then their is the problem we have a RT. Steele has become a serious liability in pass protection, and his run blocking hasn't been great either. Could be he is not fully recovered from his injury from last year, or maybe he just had a good year in 2022 and now he is who he is.

As I always say when it comes to signing players, but I would like to re-sign Tyron if he is will to take a deal where he gets paid based on availability. Perhaps that would make him affordable and at least I get him for enough games to get to the playoffs and hopefully for the playoffs.

Of course if a top LT falls to the Cowboys in the draft, I would change my mind immediately.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why would other teams be interested in Tyron while many Cowboys fans are looking to get rid of him?

The Tyron thing is a true enigma. On the one hand, when he is healthy and he plays he is as stout as they come. He had his best season in years this year - when he played. Which is the other part of the problem - his availability. They shut him down during the week now and he still winds up on the injury report. He missed only 1 game this last time, but you could see he was not 100% against the Lions. So what do you do?

If you keep him you need a good backup plan. Edoga is not it. I don't think Waletzko is either. Maybe Asim Richards will be with another offseason to get stronger.

If you let him go, then you are forced to draft a LT at whatever position Dallas will be drafting, or you have to sign someone else which will not be cheap, or you have to let Waletzko and Richards battle it out next year and let the best man win, but still nowhere near Tyron's ability when he plays. They could move Tyler out to LT, then slide Bass in at LG. I think we will see what Bass has this week in Washington when he faces Jonathan Allen.

Then their is the problem we have a RT. Steele has become a serious liability in pass protection, and his run blocking hasn't been great either. Could be he is not fully recovered from his injury from last year, or maybe he just had a good year in 2022 and now he is who he is.

As I always say when it comes to signing players, but I would like to re-sign Tyron if he is will to take a deal where he gets paid based on availability. Perhaps that would make him affordable and at least I get him for enough games to get to the playoffs and hopefully for the playoffs.

Of course if a top LT falls to the Cowboys in the draft, I would change my mind immediately.
It’s a deep draft for tackles but Tyron isn’t the weak link. He just needs a better backup. We need better qaulity depth on the line in general. Every time someone goes down , it seems the guy replacing him is an UDFA or 6th round pick. There is no reason we should have to hang our season on guys like Tyler Bass.

Creeper

Reaction score
It’s a deep draft for tackles but Tyron isn’t the weak link. He just needs a better backup. We need better qaulity depth on the line in general. Every time someone goes down , it seems the guy replacing him is an UDFA or 6th round pick. There is no reason we should have to hang our season on guys like Tyler Bass.
The Cowboys are short on draft picks this year so whatever they need to accomplish has to be done in the 1st two days.

starfan1

Reaction score
We need to give him the same deal he has now and he will take it. He’s never been a greedy player and his contract is really fair to both sides
Not without a proven back up he’s too unreliable

TheHerd

Reaction score
He’s 33, and he’s missed 34 starts over the past four years due to injury, but he’s been a brick wall in 12 starts at left tackle for the Cowboys this year.
He’s been good and I love all he’s done in Dallas and his attitude, but he’s a shell of his former self. I know this is a great pass rusher, but he’s not really a brick wall here:

RoboQB

Reaction score
I swear, this feels like the third year in a row that "Tyron Smith to the Jets"
rumors have started.