Peter King challenges the Jets to go after free agent Tyron Smith

exciter

Reaction score
Looks like he's going to have some interest........the question is how much we are willing to pay to keep him.
Letting him gives us quite a bit of flex drafting our next OLinemen .......we can draft a LT and leave Tyler at LG or draft LG/C and move Tyler outside.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...n-mvp-ravens-lions-vs-cowboys-fmia-peter-king

8. I think year three is a good time to judge young football players. In fact, Jets coach Robert Salah said that early in 2020 first-round tackle Mekhi Becton’s career. Because of a couple of injuries, let’s give Becton a fourth year. He’s played 30 games now, including 15 starts this year at tackle, mostly on the left side. Becton leads NFL tackles this year with 16 penalties taken and 12 sacks allowed. He’s allowed a ghastly 50 quarterback pressures in 920 snaps played, per PFF. The Jets have seen enough of Becton, surely. I keep hearing of the prospect of the Jets chasing Davante Adams to add to the Aaron Rodgers Alumni society in 2024, but forget that. The Jets should go all-in on trying to lure free-agent-to-be Tyron Smith from Dallas. He’s 33, and he’s missed 34 starts over the past four years due to injury, but he’s been a brick wall in 12 starts at left tackle for the Cowboys this year. Because of his injury history, he won’t be a break-the-bank player—maybe two years, $30 million, with $18 million guaranteed—and the Jets could backstop him with a day-two tackle in the draft.
Didn’t he straight out say he wasn’t interested in playing for another team last summer… something about retiring first?

exciter

Reaction score
Please do.

The cowboys drafted a LT and the kid needs to be playing that position now.
No! They drafted a potential all pro guard who can function as a tackle but there’s no question he’s far superior as a guard than tackle!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think he gets a much better offer from some other team. Not that we won't be able to match but I think they will see it as a chance to reset the position/Oline with a younger/cheaper/player. Hell, the fact this is even news tells there's a good chance he walks.....otherwise, Jerry would have already locked up his future HOFer.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Obviously we need to plan for his replacement, but I don't believe we have any reason to chase him out of town. Yeah, it sucks he can't be dependable, but he's good when he's in there. Would love to see him retire a Cowboy.

quickccc

Reaction score
Cowboys will make the same kind of extension to Tyron. No worries.

Some fans want the club to move on from Tyron but all indications that they still think
he can play at a high level, despite his age and his durability history.

And they seemed quite attached to him as a long time future HOFer and Cowboys player- just as they have
with Zack martin , quite frankly so as long as they think he can play, ..and so long as Tyron wants to continue playing here, expect Cowboys to extend him yet again - until he flat simply cannot move, bend or play solid ball anymore.

I'm not the least bit worried.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Tyler may miss his third game this week.
Tyron has missed four.

No one talks about Tyler’s durability or frailty.

Last edited:

Cowfan75

Reaction score
I'd be shocked if he doesn't retire after this season. If he does come back, why would he go play for a team that doesn't have a chance to win a Super Bowl?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No! They drafted a potential all pro guard who can function as a tackle but there’s no question he’s far superior as a guard than tackle!
No.

They drafted Tyler with intent on him being a left tackle. That is what they said. If true he should be playing tackle by now. Kick him to tackle and let bass play guard.

exciter

Reaction score
No.

They drafted Tyler with intent on him being a left tackle. That is what they said. If true he should be playing tackle by now. Kick him to tackle and let bass play guard.
And everyone knew unequivocally that Jerry was just trying to dissipate the exasperation of the fan base when it was said. It was obvious to anyone paying attention that Tyler’s skillset was much more in line with a guard in this league. You don’t move an all pro caliber guard out to be an average to slightly above average tackle!

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Looks like he's going to have some interest........the question is how much we are willing to pay to keep him.
Letting him gives us quite a bit of flex drafting our next OLinemen .......we can draft a LT and leave Tyler at LG or draft LG/C and move Tyler outside.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...n-mvp-ravens-lions-vs-cowboys-fmia-peter-king

8. I think year three is a good time to judge young football players. In fact, Jets coach Robert Salah said that early in 2020 first-round tackle Mekhi Becton’s career. Because of a couple of injuries, let’s give Becton a fourth year. He’s played 30 games now, including 15 starts this year at tackle, mostly on the left side. Becton leads NFL tackles this year with 16 penalties taken and 12 sacks allowed. He’s allowed a ghastly 50 quarterback pressures in 920 snaps played, per PFF. The Jets have seen enough of Becton, surely. I keep hearing of the prospect of the Jets chasing Davante Adams to add to the Aaron Rodgers Alumni society in 2024, but forget that. The Jets should go all-in on trying to lure free-agent-to-be Tyron Smith from Dallas. He’s 33, and he’s missed 34 starts over the past four years due to injury, but he’s been a brick wall in 12 starts at left tackle for the Cowboys this year. Because of his injury history, he won’t be a break-the-bank player—maybe two years, $30 million, with $18 million guaranteed—and the Jets could backstop him with a day-two tackle in the draft.
Tyron Smith doesn’t want to leave Dallas. If the Cowboys give him a reasonable offer to stay in Dallas, then he’ll likely give them first shot. He’s already shown that money isn’t his primary motivation. There isn’t a good reason to believe that will suddenly change.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Sorry jets, cowboys will get a cap friendly extension and we won't even backstop him with a day two draft pick cuz we have more important positions like TE and WR to replenish. We'll extend Biadasz too because, meh, close enough,,, strength is overrated.
We definitely need another tight end in a second round and a wide receiver in the first. Tyron is just so dependable that we can get away with not backing him up with anyone.

starfan1

Reaction score
Signing him doesn’t negate the need for a proven backup or his future replacement
I know i just have seen how the cowboys operate. Knowing them theyd find it more important to get a TE

Starstruck22

Reaction score

adios amigo…..he is becoming a liability