Peter King nuggets on Dak

Hadenough

Reaction score
When you pay a QB 30 million a year, you shouldn't have to also pay a WR 16 million and a RB another 16. That QB shouldn't need it. He should simply make stars of the next batch of skill players because he should be great. He's getting paid like it.

Prescott needs it and more.

What an absolute disgrace that contract will be.
Totally agree!

Rayman70

Reaction score
Rodgers is on the downhill slide...SIDE of his career. Call it what you will. He is at a point where he needs talent around him or they wont win close games.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I would argue that Dak is better than Cam and Wentz right now as we speak. Regardless what this clearly shows is you cant even bank on a 1st round pick to become a better than average QB. Sign the man

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree...YET lets look at the theory when it came to Aikman. He had Emmitt and IRVIN ,Moose and Novacek….just sayin...we had to pay those guys around Troy some big bucks. Was Troy a bus driver? Just askin...

Did you just compare Dak Prescott to Troy Aikman?

I'm not saying you shouldn't want great players everywhere but in this salary cap league you simply can't pay everyone. You can pay even less if you're giving your bus driver QB who needs stars around him 30 million of cap space.

So if the Cowboys were going to make the huge commitment of spending 30 million a year on a long term deal for a QB it should come with the luxury of not needing to resign their WR to top money and their RB to the richest deal in the history of the position. If that QB is worth that money he shouldn't need an all star squad that's not realistic under the cap. You shouldn't be handing out a contract like that and then looking to overcome his shortcomings. If he's got those shortcomings why the hell are you paying him 30 million a year?

It'll be the worst contract in the history of the league the moment it's signed. A QB who can't throw an out route. 30 million per. An abomination of epic proportions.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Totally agree!

I'll ask you the same question, and this is what's your $20 million/year option? I get that $30 million seems like a hell of a lot (and it is), but that can't be a stand alone factor. You have to factor in the alternatives, and given the market for players today, and especially QB's, where are you going to find a notably cheaper QB that gives the team as much chance to win?

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Nailed it........

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ing/?cid=fmiatwking#10-things-i-think-i-think

5. I think the Dallas Cowboys should take a deep breath and sign Dak Prescott—five years, $150 milion ($90 million guaranteed) sounds about correct—before he plays well enough this year to push him into Russell Wilson land. Prescott’s not a top-five quarterback, but you absolutely can win with him, and he can play well enough in and out of the pocket to be competitive in the biggest games on the schedule. And he is a very good face of the franchise, eminently trustworthy and a good leader. For those who swear he’s not worth it, ask yourself this question: What is the alternative, and are you willing to let Prescott walk away while the Cowboys go the draft-and-develop route in the near future?

gettyimages-1081690960.jpg

Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott. (Getty Images)
6. I think some Cowboys fans would like, in part because of the financial sanity, the advantage to having a rookie quarterback not chew up your cap. But let’s look at the first-round quarterbacks in the most recent seven drafts, and let’s see how many are better than Prescott. I don’t include 2018 and 2019 because we don’t know the results of their play yet. We are not sure of all of these players, but we have a pretty good idea about most.

Quarterbacks drafted in the first round between 2011 and 2017, compared to Prescott

Total first-round QBs: 20.

Clearly not as good as Prescott … 11 of 20 (55 percent): Jake Locker (8th pick, 2011), Blaine Gabbert (10-2011), Christian Ponder (12-2011), Robert Griffin III (2-2012), Ryan Tannehill (8-2012), Brandon Weeden (22-2012), E.J. Manuel (16-2013), Blake Bortles (3-2014), Johnny Manziel (22-2014), Teddy Bridgewater (32-2014), Paxton Lynch (26-2016).

Too close to call right now, but Prescott has an edge … 3 of 20 (15 percent): Jameis Winston (1-2015), Marcus Mariota (2-2015), Mitchell Trubisky (2-2017).

Clearly better than Prescott … 3 of 20 (15 percent): Cam Newton (1-2011), Andrew Luck (1-2012), Patrick Mahomes (10-2017).

Better than Prescott, though with an injury asterisk … 1 of 20 (5 percent): Carson Wentz (2-2016).

Too close to call right now, but they look better than Prescott to me … 2 of 20 (10 percent):Jared Goff (1-2016), Deshaun Watson (12-2017).

So—and we’re sure to disagree on a few of these—I have Prescott with at least a slight edge on 14 of the 20 first-round quarterbacks picked between 2011 and 2017. So, Cowboy fans: Are you sure you want to roll the dice, cast Prescott aside in the near future, and take your shot with the next hot young first-rounder? I will remind you: In 2016, I covered the Cowboys draft, and I was inside their process, and Jerry Jones looked like his dog just died after he and his scouting group missed out on Paxton Lynch, and they were ticked off again to miss out on Connor Cook atop the fourth round, which left them with … Dak Prescott.
Not sure I agree on Cam Newton.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Did you just compare Dak Prescott to Troy Aikman?

I'm not saying you shouldn't want great players everywhere but in this salary cap league you simply can't pay everyone. You can pay even less if you're giving your bus driver QB who needs stars around him 30 million of cap space.

So if the Cowboys were going to make the huge commitment of spending 30 million a year on a long term deal for a QB it should come with the luxury of not needing to resign their WR to top money and their RB to the richest deal in the history of the position. If that QB is worth that money he shouldn't need an all star squad that's not realistic under the cap. You shouldn't be handing out a contract like that and then looking to overcome his shortcomings. If he's got those shortcomings why the hell are you paying him 30 million a year?

It'll be the worst contract in the history of the league the moment it's signed. A QB who can't throw an out route. 30 million per. An abomination of epic proportions.
I am not in the camp of paying Dak big bucks..BUT we live in a different day and age where QB'S command this kind of money. Just the way it is. Not comparing Dak and Troy ...just trying to ask a legit question. Was he a bus driver and overpayed because he had to have elite talent around him?

Rayman70

Reaction score
I'll ask you the same question, and this is what's your $20 million/year option? I get that $30 million seems like a hell of a lot (and it is), but that can't be a stand alone factor. You have to factor in the alternatives, and given the market for players today, and especially QB's, where are you going to find a notably cheaper QB that gives the team as much chance to win?
none...zero...that's why we gotta pay the man. We are fools if we don't.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Winning is a team stat. Unless the QB is the driving force behind winning I'm not paying him 30 million a year.

When you play the Cowboys the last thing you worry about is the QB beating you. He's a bus driver, bro. You don't pay bus drivers like they are franchise QBs and you can't put the supporting cast around him that he needs if you do. Guys like Rodgers and Brady don't need elite WRs and RBs. They are the reason why they win. They don't have to be carried. This QB has to be carried.
This explains why the eagles didn't bother trading for receivers or resign DJax..........Wince might turn into a half decent bus driver.......IF he could get on the bus without getting hurt.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Was Troy a bus driver? Was he elite? He DID have hall of famers around him at each turn...so does that make him just a guy at QB? See my point?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not in the camp of paying Dak big bucks..BUT we live in a different day and age where QB'S command this kind of money. Just the way it is. Not comparing Dak and Troy ...just trying to ask a legit question. Was he a bus driver and overpayed because he had to have elite talent around him?

30 million a year would put him in the top tier of QBs. He is no where near the top tier of QBs playing today. He isn't in the 2nd tier either.

Troy didn't have to have elite talent. He just had it. Great players can play with other great players without making one a fraud. Emmitt ran behind that OL. That OL blocked for Emmitt. Both were great. Prescott needs great players because he lacks talent. He can't throw the ball. He can't read defenses. He has no pocket presence. You better have a great running game and defense or you got no shot with this QB. Your passing offense will always be a sloppy sandlot style of play.

Rayman70

Reaction score
This explains why the eagles didn't bother trading for receivers or resign DJax..........Wince might turn into a half decent bus driver.......IF he could get on the bus without getting hurt.
HELL ron lol..he cant even get off the training table. Me thinks the iggles used the magic 8 ball when choosing which QB to keep. How do you justify letting a SB winning QB walk? For "potential." Bet they have had many sleepless nights in that FO over that decision...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
none...zero...that's why we gotta pay the man. We are fools if we don't.

I'm afraid the team would take a huge step back if we didn't sign him. There simply is no immediate alternative that gives a team that is already close to being a top team a chance to go beyond what it has, and even if we were to wait and take a QB in the 2020 draft, the OP in this thread proves that doesn't remotely ensure we will get an upgrade.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
30 million a year would put him in the top tier of QBs. He is no where near the top tier of QBs playing today. He isn't in the 2nd tier either.

Troy didn't have to have elite talent. He just had it. Great players can play with other great players without making one a fraud. Emmitt ran behind that OL. That OL blocked for Emmitt. Both were great. Prescott needs great players because he lacks talent. He can't throw the ball. He can't read defenses. He has no pocket presence. You better have a great running game and defense or you got no shot with this QB. Your passing offense will always be a sloppy sandlot style of play.
He just had elite talent that couldn't win without Emmitt.

Rayman70

Reaction score

he HAD to have Emmitt and Michael. Troy doesn't win without those guys. Don't you recall how Troy got beaten like a piñata before Emmitt? Dak feeds off of Zeke and vice versa. Same with Troy and Emmitt.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I'm afraid the team would take a huge step back if we didn't sign him. There simply is no immediate alternative that gives a team that is already close to being a top team a chance to go beyond what it has, and even if we were to wait and take a QB in the 2020 draft, the OP in this thread proves that doesn't remotely ensure we will get an upgrade.
exactly...if we don't sign him, whats the solution? See the problem? I agree with you. I hate the big bucks these guys command, but its the market.